Purple Paint Now Legal to Use to Mark Trees for “No Trespassing” Purposes

1 hour ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I have actually had people come onto family property and demand we give them a certain tree that they say belongs to them. Seems there great, great uncle on their mother's side told them when they were a child, 50+ years ago, they could have that tree when he died and now they are here to collect since he has passed. A lot of people these days have ZERO respect for anything they did not pay for or put effort into. If I borrow something it goes back in as good a shape or it is replaced. I have lent out a bunch of stuff over the years and you would not believe how people treat your stuff. Often comes back way worse or they get upset that you won't just let them keep it. Lent a quad rail out last year, it came back with two cross threaded screw holes and a few screws missing. He wanted to borrow it for a "week or two" but it took over 6 months to get it back.

That is why a refuse to loan stuff across the board now. I lent a tool to my boss when I first started my current job so he could use it for the weekend. 10 years later, I still can't get him to bring it back. Sounds bad not to loan any, but the only people that ask me are just as likely to pawn it as use it.

I have to borrow a company truck once in a while for personal stuff and I treat it better than they do. It always comes back with more gas than it started with. I stopped filling it up since other people drain it to empty every time I need it for work stuff. 

I have paid for replacement tools when one got broken that I used. It happens, but how you treat the owner after is what matters. I rarely ask to borrow stuff since I do not loan things. Once in a while though, that $300 tool you need for 15 minutes does not make sense to buy. I always offer to rent it and not to borrow it. I also will only ask a handful of people that I havee a good relationship with.

• Like 1
On 7/2/2017 at 3:30 PM, Sidecarist said:

Like it or not I have issues with ginsing hunters, as well as traditional hunters that have no respect for property lines and will be having my property surveyed for accurate placement of all signs and paint. After reading all this I'll be discussing with the surveyor blazing the property lines with purple paint as part of the process.

I saw a brief portion of a show about the ginseng hunters in east Tennessee. For the amount of money they get for the roots it wouldn't surprise me that they have no respect for property lines: however, the amount of money involved can also be felony theft if you catch them.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Spelling
1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

I saw a brief portion of a show about the ginseng hunters in east Tennessee. For the amount of money they get for they roots it wouldn't surprise me that they have no respect for property lines: however, the amount of money involved can also be felony theft if you catch them.

Maybe just wait until they dig it all up and relieve them of it before they leave your property. You are just recovering what is yours and then you can profit from their blatant disregard for your property. More money to put up signs and buy purple paint. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Maybe just wait until they dig it all up and relieve them of it before they leave your property. You are just recovering what is yours and then you can profit from their blatant disregard for your property. More money to put up signs and buy purple paint. 

I know 2 guys that hunt Ginsing and they do fairly well doing it. They are both retired military and they both hunt it up on Ft. Campbell. Last year between them I think they made about 8 grand in a month. They quit using private land even with permission because of confrontations with trespassers digging illegally.

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I saw a brief portion of a show about the ginseng hunters in east Tennessee. For the amount of money they get for the roots it wouldn't surprise me that they have no respect for property lines: however, the amount of money involved can also be felony theft if you catch them.

I heard last night that the kid who was 'lost' in the National Park up there was hunting Ginseng (how he got lost!)

I've ordered seeds, but never found any on my property. Would make a nice 'retirement fund'!

- K

8 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

I heard last night that the kid who was 'lost' in the National Park up there was hunting Ginseng (how he got lost!)

I've ordered seeds, but never found any on my property. Would make a nice 'retirement fund'!

- K

Ginsing needs the proper growing enviroment to grow and if you don't have that you will be hard pressed to get the seeds to grow. Good luck with your efforts for sure..........:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 6:40 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

I have actually had people come onto family property and demand we give them a certain tree that they say belongs to them. Seems there great, great uncle on their mother's side told them when they were a child, 50+ years ago, they could have that tree when he died and now they are here to collect since he has passed. A lot of people these days have ZERO respect for anything they did not pay for or put effort into. If I borrow something it goes back in as good a shape or it is replaced. I have lent out a bunch of stuff over the years and you would not believe how people treat your stuff. Often comes back way worse or they get upset that you won't just let them keep it. Lent a quad rail out last year, it came back with two cross threaded screw holes and a few screws missing. He wanted to borrow it for a "week or two" but it took over 6 months to get it back.

When I was young every time Dad borrowed something from relatives it tore up, usually because they didn't maintain it right. After replacing a few things he got to where he'd just go buy whatever we needed even if we only used it 2 or 3 times.

About six years ago I borrowed a friends utility trailer to use for a school class float.  The trailer light wires were broken as was the one remaining light.  I re-wired the trailer and replaced the lights.  I went ahead and wire brushed the trailer and hit it with a coat of rust-o-leum.  I returned the trailer the day after the parade.  Five years later (Last year)  he called and asked if I wanted to borrow his trailer again.  :huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
17 hours ago, tacops said:

About six years ago I borrowed a friends utility trailer to use for a school class float.  The trailer light wires were broken as was the one remaining light.  I re-wired the trailer and replaced the lights.  I went ahead and wire brushed the trailer and hit it with a coat of rust-o-leum.  I returned the trailer the day after the parade.  Five years later (Last year)  he called and asked if I wanted to borrow his trailer again.  :huh:

Probably needs to be rewired, new lights and a new coat of paint..............ROFLMAO..............:clap:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe in the "three A's" when it comes to loaning stuff.  I will not loan Anyone Anything Anymore!!! :D

I can't stand it when people don't bring your stuff back!!! When I need something, especially a certain tool, I want it right here, easily accessible. The last thing I want to do is have to drive to someone else's house to get my own flippin' tool back!!! :mad:

Thanks for the info on the purple paint! Signs really do get expensive, especially when they're supposed to placed every 50 feet. I think now I'll just put a sign every 100-150 feet and then purple paint along the entire line. :up:

Edited by PackinMama