TBI say Fingerprints DISAPPROVED for permit,,,why?

I took my conclead carry class, went to DMV paid the fee, had my prints done that were sent to TBI. For the past week or so when I go online to the  TN.Gov,,HANGUN CARRY PERMIT page to check my status I get this in the Background Check box.................."TBI fingerprint check disapproved."  I don't understand. I have bought 3 handguns in TN and had ZERO issue with backgrounds checks... Any idea what this implies?

Edited by VicYon

Dumb question (seeing as it pertains to my situation....) are you a U.S.permanent resident/citizen?

I ask as a non-immigrant alien who cannot attain an HCP. The only way that the TBI could determine this would be through my prints on the INS/ICE database.

Yeah, just inquire with them.  Mine was initially rejected because it said I spent time in a military prison...obviously got something mixed up somewhere in the process with someone else.

Didn't say denied.  I'm in agreement that the prints were not high enough quality / smudged.  You may get contacted to come back in to be re-printed.  If the tips on your fingerprints are worn / not good this can easily happen.  Or too light, too dark.   A number of variables can reduce the fingerprint capture quality.  After two failed attempts they will then move on to a name based check.

Never heard of anyone have that happen; so we are all guessing. Were they inked or digitally scanned?

I would try to contact Lisa Knight first, she has been very helpful to others here with issues.

HCP Program Director, Lisa Knight (615) 251-8590

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Thats kind of what I heard from the Instructor when I called him today,,Just wait for the  letter and g from there,most likely the prints. I was sent to a UPS store in Knoxville to have them done.They have a print copier that sends to TBI but the Kid that did them did not appear to be that experienced with taking prints and he seemed to rush. So I just wait to hear from TBI.

Robtatttoo.........In regard to your question.I had some concerns with that. See, I was born in a U.S.Army hospital in France ( of all places) My dad was Army and stationed there, back in the late 50's . Anyway though my parents were US citizens me being born in France,though on a US military base, TECHNICALLY I was a French citizen,with both French birth certificate and US birth cert. So at the age of 9 Dad took me to a US government office where I had to be made a NATURALIZED (?) U.S. citizen !!  Wasn't an issue at DMV when I applied for my permit, though I had a legal name change I just gave them my name change info and my naturalzation papers to verify the first and my birth cert.

17 hours ago, VicYon said:

Thanks everyone. Thats kind of what I heard from the Instructor when I called him today,,Just wait for the  letter and g from there,most likely the prints. I was sent to a UPS store in Knoxville to have them done.They have a print copier that sends to TBI but the Kid that did them did not appear to be that experienced with taking prints and he seemed to rush. So I just wait to hear from TBI.

Robtatttoo.........In regard to your question.I had some concerns with that. See, I was born in a U.S.Army hospital in France ( of all places) My dad was Army and stationed there, back in the late 50's . Anyway though my parents were US citizens me being born in France,though on a US military base, TECHNICALLY I was a French citizen,with both French birth certificate and US birth cert. So at the age of 9 Dad took me to a US government office where I had to be made a NATURALIZED (?) U.S. citizen !!  Wasn't an issue at DMV when I applied for my permit, though I had a legal name change I just gave them my name change info and my naturalzation papers to verify the first and my birth cert.

No, technically you were/are a US citizen, every military base, or consulate is considered US soil. Many countries do not give citizenship to kids of foreigners automatically, you could of applied for French citizenship if you wanted later though.  As a naturalized citizen there is nothing that should be flagged, at least not for that. 

• Moderators
Dumb question (seeing as it pertains to my situation....) are you a U.S.permanent resident/citizen?
I ask as a non-immigrant alien who cannot attain an HCP. The only way that the TBI could determine this would be through my prints on the INS/ICE database.

If you don't mind briefly explaining, how is someone a non-immigrant alien?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

If you don't mind briefly explaining, how is someone a non-immigrant alien?

From ATF site:

"Who is a nonimmigrant alien?

A nonimmigrant alien is an alien in the United States in a nonimmigrant classification as defined by section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15). Generally, "nonimmigrant aliens" are tourists, students, business travelers, and temporary workers who enter the U.S. for fixed periods of time; they are lawfully admitted aliens who are not lawful permanent residents.

[27 CFR 478.11]"

- OS

• Moderators
From ATF site:
"Who is a nonimmigrant alien?
A nonimmigrant alien is an alien in the United States in a nonimmigrant classification as defined by section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15). Generally, "nonimmigrant aliens" are tourists, students, business travelers, and temporary workers who enter the U.S. for fixed periods of time; they are lawfully admitted aliens who are not lawful permanent residents.
[27 CFR 478.11]"

- OS

Gotcha. I was thinking about it backwards, as in someone that was born here, was an alien and not a citizen.

That description fully explains it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Gotcha. I was thinking about it backwards, as in someone that was born here, was an alien and not a citizen.

That description fully explains it.

A bit more detailed as to the "who" from USIS:

"Nonimmigrant

An alien who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. The alien must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and qualify for the nonimmigrant classification sought. The nonimmigrant classifications include: foreign government officials, visitors for business and for pleasure, aliens in transit through the United States, treaty traders and investors, students, international representatives, temporary workers and trainees, representatives of foreign information media, exchange visitors, fiance(e)s of U.S. citizens, intracompany transferees, NATO officials, religious workers, and some others. Most nonimmigrants can be accompanied or joined by spouses and unmarried minor (or dependent) children."

- OS