PAINTED HOLSTER?

Just wondering if the collective has ever had or seen a holster that looks like the black is painted over a brown base-I have one that looks like this and am wondering if its a mistake by the maker or a way to sell a blemished holster as new-or possibly change color due to in stock availability.In any event I have an inquiry into the maker but has as of yet received a reply.If this is something that's a normal occurrence I will say all's fair-but I don't think it's the case. I have owned a bushel basket of holsters of all makes and not witnessed this.I wouldn't make a large fuss but-it's $140.00 holster.

Well-the manufacturer has requested I ship the holster back to them so they can inspect it.I can say I am not pleased that I now am spending more money on the holster.Oh well-I will reserve judgement until I see what the outcome of this inspection will be.

3 hours ago, krunchnik said:

Well-the manufacturer has requested I ship the holster back to them so they can inspect it.I can say I am not pleased that I now am spending more money on the holster.Oh well-I will reserve judgement until I see what the outcome of this inspection will be.

This is why I have a love / hate relationship with internet purchases. Shipping on returns / exchanges / warranty work.

$6.45 priority mail, no big deal, just more time. Sounds like they'll repair / replace, I would if I were selling holsters at this price point.

Good luck, hope it is resolved peaceable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gotthegoods said:

This is why I have a love / hate relationship with internet purchases. Shipping on returns / exchanges / warranty work.

$6.45 priority mail, no big deal, just more time. Sounds like they'll repair / replace, I would if I were selling holsters at this price point.

Good luck, hope it is resolved peaceable.

Thanks-Ya that's exactly what shipping was but I added an extra layer of insurance on the package-I got hosed one time by USPS-somehow a fairly expensive scope I sold got lost-and they never found it

Painting for a Camo pattern yes, but not painting a solid color over a solid color. Almost every type of paint I've seen used on holsters shows gouges and scratches pretty bad when subjected to much wear/use. Even some of the print "skinned" Kydex designs like the Multicam and Kryptek will gouge and show the base Kydex color. I guess it adds character, but I certainly would not be happy receiving one painted if I had not asked for it to be that way. I hope they square you away, and in my opinion at that price for the holster, they should reimburse you the return shipping charge when they get it figured out.

It is leather and I couldn't get pictures that represent the problem-not enough of the right kind of light to enhance the picture.Suffice to say that at every wear point if something like a shirt or such rubs-it starts to show a brown under the black.

4 hours ago, Ron Padilla said:

Sheeeit I would love to be able to sell my goods at that price point !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about a half to a third of that, and will refund money if you ship it back, or will make another one and send it without you shipping it back if you aren't happy.

I have seen people try to redye boots from brown to black, kinda of sounds like what you are talking about.  It covers the surface but any wear and the brown shows through.  It looks kind of like it's been painted with tire black if anybody knows what that is.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, VERO1 said:

I have seen people try to redye boots from brown to black, kinda of sounds like what you are talking about.  It covers the surface but any wear and the brown shows through.  It looks kind of like it's been painted with tire black if anybody knows what that is.  

Ya-that's exactly what it looks like-any wear and the brown is showing through.

• 2 weeks later...

I only make holsters and sheaths for myself or to give to family or friends and I often leave the leather its natural color because I like the way it looks as it wears and darkens.  That said, I have dyed a few things - even using cheap Kiwi liquid shoe/leather dye, sometimes, when I just want black - and have only ever seen the dye gouge and/or peel on one occasion and that was because the dye in question was pretty much designed to do that.  It was an 'antique' black finish/dye.  It cracked and even peeled a little, when dry, but that was because it was supposed to mimic the finish on old, worn leather (in this case a holster I was experimenting with for my Heritage Rough Rider.)

In this case, I almost wonder if the maker had already treated the leather with its final treatment product before applying the dye and then tried to dye the holster black afterward.  Some type of oil and or wax based leather conditioning/preserving product might keep the leather from absorbing the dye properly, I think.

Edited by JAB

I talked with the maker and said that it was wear the bends and seams stretch to reveal a brownish tint underneath-so they touched it up and sent it back.

It actually looks Okay so I guess I am happy.At least he was nice enough to call and care what I thought.

Also thanked me for being a customer.