Bicycle wheel question

I've got roughly 750 miles on a 3 year old Giant Roam bike. I've now broken the third spoke on the rear wheel. Two last summer and one this summer. I ride greenways and Cade's Cove for the most part. I don't feel that the bike gets abused, but I don't avoid tree roots or rocks should they appear in front of me. I'm kind of a bigger, older guy so I don't jump school buses. Is it simple metal fatigue in the spokes? Should I keep replacing spokes or buy new wheels?

Edited by Howler

A good wheel builder should be able to replace the spoke, and solve your issues. They need to take the tension down, and then bring the tension back up with the new spike in place.

Good wheels cost a fair amount of money. I'm 250 riding weight. I haven't broken a spoke since I went with DT Swiss alpine 3 spokes, and stans flow wheels on my mountain bikes. My road bike has DT double butted spokes laced to a DT512 rim, with a DT 350s hub. I built one MTB rim, and had a wheel builder do the other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A good wheel set should not break spokes that often. If you have broken 3 spokes already I would consider replacing all the spokes next time you break one. Any good bike shop would be able to rebuild the wheel for you with some good quality spokes. I prefer Wheelsmith or DT spokes when I do a rebuild on my bikes. I have rebuilt several wheels over the last 40 years and never broken a spoke on them. Proper tensioning and good quality spokes are the key.

• Like 2

3 spokes does seem excessive. Have the rims been trued? 

I still have the stock rims and spokes on my 2012 trek superfly carbon. 225 rider weight and i ride trails just about every weekend that they are open. Im old but still hit the jumps regularly.

Front or Rear wheel?

Maybe a larger gauge spoke would help if they will work in your rim(s).

I'm guessing you have a spoke tension and/or wheel problem, but I don't think I'd put much money into repairing this. You could put $100 or more into repairing a wheel and have...what... a $300 bike?

I'd just get it fixed as cheaply as possible, sell it, and buy a nicer bike, but that's just me.  Some guys here buy $400 1911s and some buy $2,000 1911s.

The bike shop told me that the manufacturer of that wheel had a good bit of problems with broken spokes. I've read the same thing online but I don't always believe what's on the net. 

The rear rim was trued with the first spoke replacement. 

I was given all the options from a new rim, a used rim, and replacing all the spokes. I chose the used. 

The shop replaced the wheel today with an "almost new"one. Said if the new one broke a spoke he'd replace it for free.

The bike cost me a good bit more than $300. I liked the disc brakes and extra gears so I spent a little more.  Resale might be in that area but I don't plan on selling it. I still like the bike. And because of that, I just want to get my money's worth. Besides that, not all of those 2k 1911's go bang like they should. And I'm sure $2000 bikes have problems as well. A  nice road bike might be in my future as long as the back holds out and I can find a way to hide it in the garage. The wife is on the Dave Ramsey kick, therefore I am too. 

I plan on riding this weekend...so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies, folks. 

• Like 3

Best of luck with the new rim. I hope you don't have any issues with it.

FWIW, I have a $600 rear wheel on my full suspension (I also have a $3000 1911...). It has never needed a single adjustment in 3 years. Same guy built my road bike rear wheel. Different hub, so it was much cheaper.

Being a bigger guy, certain components wear faster. I have seen what happens when a wheel catastrophically fails during a ride. I'll carry the extra weight, and spend the money, to minimize equipment failure that could cause me physical harm. But I also beat the hell out of my bikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was completely ready to spend the money to fix it. Durability is what I need. I was assured the used rim was the way to go. When I decide to get a road bike this shop will more than likely get my business. Not one time have I been ignored or treated poorly. Service sells. 

• Like 1
On 7/7/2017 at 10:21 PM, Howler said:

The bike shop told me that the manufacturer of that wheel had a good bit of problems with broken spokes. I've read the same thing online but I don't always believe what's on the net. 

The rear rim was trued with the first spoke replacement. 

I was given all the options from a new rim, a used rim, and replacing all the spokes. I chose the used. 

The shop replaced the wheel today with an "almost new"one. Said if the new one broke a spoke he'd replace it for free.

The bike cost me a good bit more than $300. I liked the disc brakes and extra gears so I spent a little more.  Resale might be in that area but I don't plan on selling it. I still like the bike. And because of that, I just want to get my money's worth. Besides that, not all of those 2k 1911's go bang like they should. And I'm sure $2000 bikes have problems as well. A  nice road bike might be in my future as long as the back holds out and I can find a way to hide it in the garage. The wife is on the Dave Ramsey kick, therefore I am too. 

I plan on riding this weekend...so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies, folks. 

Hide it in the garage ? You just need a bigger safe ! :devil:

• Like 1