Please school me on hog hunting in TN?

I want to get an Annual license whenI get to Tennessee which would cover me for all the hunting I would like to do.

I'm particularly interested in hogs and fowl and teaching my son.

But TWRA seems rather vague about the hog hunting for WMA lands.

I didn't find much except for a short list of a few places in region 1,3 and other few locations. All say that hogs are limited to deer season or special control days.

So is that as far as it goes for hogs on WMA land? Or are other regions WMA's open for hogs for certain seasons just not specified?

I was hoping someone could teach me the when's and where's about it for this newcomer.

• Like 1

They changed all the hogs rules a year to two ago and screwed things up.  Not sure what the current laws are but we do have some members who hog hunt.  They should chime in and give you the low down.

Hog hunting is one of my PASSIONS!!!!!!! I go and have every year for about 10 years! Loshbough Hunting Lodge in Crossville Tn is my go to. Great people, tough property, mountain goat tough in some areas. They have some real monsters on this property.  They are really great people to work with. Talk to Cheri or Suzy, tell them Jim Grice told you to call. Then we want pics of the hunt AND the BBQ!

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

• Like 3

Look like a bunch of PORK right there. My little brother use to go to Catoosa back years ago and he only killed 1 hog and decided it was not for him. He thought he would be a big white hunter and go after hogs with a Ruger 44 Mag pistol /w 6 inch barrel I think it was. He ended up shooting the hog from up in a tree he climbed to get away from the hog. That was his first and only hog hunt................:clap:

• Like 2

We used to deer hunt in areas with some hog. I always kept a couple of armor piercing WWII rounds in the bottom of my Enfield mag. I figured if I got to those a skull shot was in order.  At an angle regular bullets just glance off their skull, or so I have been told.

And I have one crazy a$$ cousin in Georgia that hunts them with dogs and a big knife. 

As far as hog hunting goes, I kind of wanted to get into it myself at one point but then Tennessee basically decided that the best way to get rid of pest hogs was to make them a defacto protected species instead of the 'kill all you want, whenever you want' approach they took, before and that many, other states take.  Sometimes I wonder where the 'braniacs' that come up with our hunting regulations came from and what the heck they have been smoking.

Edited by JAB
On 7/9/2017 at 7:51 AM, sybo said:

Hog hunting is one of my PASSIONS!!!!!!! I go and have every year for about 10 years! Loshbough Hunting Lodge in Crossville Tn is my go to. Great people, tough property, mountain goat tough in some areas. They have some real monsters on this property.  They are really great people to work with. Talk to Cheri or Suzy, tell them Jim Grice told you to call. Then we want pics of the hunt AND the BBQ!

Interesting.  I would have thought that the current regs - stating that only ten people can be on the 'list' to hunt hogs on a particular property, etc. - would have stopped lodges from allowing such hunts.  Glad that they haven't and I might have to check into something like that, myself, one of these days.  I think I know where that lodge is - I think I have seen it on my way to the Mennonite settlement at Muddy Pond.  I live close to Knoxville but head to Crossville periodically to hit the flea market and to go to the Muddy Pond General Store for spices and to hit up a couple of other places at Muddy Pond for the baked goods, etc.

3 minutes ago, JAB said:

And I have one crazy a$$ cousin in Georgia that hunts them with dogs and a big knife. 

We lived near Charleston when I was little. A man Dad worked with known only as "big boy" for obvious reasons, hunted hogs with a Bowie knife. He had a .44 on his hip but only used it when he got treed, which was rare.  Mom and Dad still talk about the whole hog BBQ's on the beach with the pig buried in the sand.  Can't do that anymore.  

I recall reading in the TN hunting and fishing guidelines or whatever that hogs were considered nuisance animals and it was basically open season on them.  Also, the guide recommended thoroughly washing your hands after handling them and burying the carcass because hogs carried so many diseases.  What changed?

3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I recall reading in the TN hunting and fishing guidelines or whatever that hogs were considered nuisance animals and it was basically open season on them.  Also, the guide recommended thoroughly washing your hands after handling them and burying the carcass because hogs carried so many diseases.  What changed?

I'd like to know also.

From the looks of it there are only a handful of WMA's to hunt them on and only during deer and/or bear season or on certain control days.

Looks like I'm going to be putting the TRIP in hunting trip.

34 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

That was the case, but TWRA changed it.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations

... In 1999, TWRAmade an attempt to control the expansion of the wild hog population by opening a statewide wild hog season with no bag limit.  Unfortunately, it was during this period of unlimited hunting that the wild hog population expanded the most.  Disjointed populations of hogs began to occur in areas of Tennessee where they had never existed before as the result of illegal stocking by individuals whose goal was to establish local hunting opportunities.

In 2011, new regulations were enacted that changed wild hog management. Wild hogs are no longer regarded as big game animals in Tennessee. In order to remove the incentive to relocate wild hogs, they are now considered a destructive species to be controlled by methods other than sport hunting. 

It is illegal to possess, transport, or release live wild hogs.

You can kill hogs with anything . I've killed them with buckshot, 223, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, 270,6.8, 300 blk out ,308 ,30-06, .45 , bow and arrow, k-bar in MS

6.8 is my favorite . If I hear them in the woods I b-line  straight to them.