Question on brandishing and TN law

1 hour ago, spikes2020 said:

Question

Lets say....

I live in the really bad part of Nashville and i see a ####ty car with 4 guys sitting in front of my house for 2 hours. Would it be assault if i say went outside and 'cleaned' my shotgun on the porch?

These type of questions are often raised on gun forums by new members: What if I do this ...? Then, someone answers the question and the reply is modifying the original question, and so on.

Practically speaking, if you want to get shot by those 4 guys, then go ahead! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. What the law is has already been posted in this thread. If you are really that naive and consider the actions you posted, then good luck with that. I will read your obituary, chuckle, and put it under the category of Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day.

If you have a problem with a car with 4 guys sitting in front of your house for 2 hours, call your local PD. Heck, once you do that, those 4 guys may exit the car, come to your door and politely introduce themselves as vice police officers or DEA. LOL. ... and your original plan was to demonstrate your manlyhood by 'cleaning' your shotgun on the porch ... LOL.

6 hours ago, spikes2020 said:

Question

Lets say....

I live in the really bad part of Nashville and i see a ####ty car with 4 guys sitting in front of my house for 2 hours. Would it be assault if i say went outside and 'cleaned' my shotgun on the porch?

Another thing is you just told them “I have guns in my house . Please break in when I’m not at home.” 

At best 4 guys sitting in a car on (what sounds like) public property constitutes loitering. Like above, if you are worried call the pd and report it. Say you saw the "See something, say something" Homeland campaign and want to do your part. Btw, I drove a crap car for a long time as I saved for a house and such. I never bothered anyone but was ran off from several parking lots while trying to catch a few zzzzs between classes and work. I did not sleep in my bed much during college but I came out debt free...

The biggest take away here is if you fear because you live in a bad part of Nashville, change it. Either the place or your location. Passively aggressively "cleaning" your gun might just relocate you to prison. 

A must watch for those considering brandishing a firearm with the question in their head: "Should I ...?" or "Can I ...?". The real question should always be: "Do I have to ...?" Do you have to display your firearm when you have a car parked on the road in front of your house with four guys in it? Do you have to approach a car on your property, make threatening statements, and display your firearm? Watch the whole video, especially the content starting at 9:30.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, spikes2020 said:

Question

Lets say....

I wouldn't recommend it. If stuff went south your shoty is empty right? You are cleaning it correct? It might get stolen then the PD would come and ask questions and who knows what story would be given as to why your heater was taken from you.