Anyone ever hike up Big Frog?

I am going to hike up Big Frog mountain at the southern end of the CNF next month if we get a weekend that's not too hot. I will be backpacking and spending the night. I've never been up there. I hear there's bears, hogs and hillbillies. The ticks probably concern me the most though... hate them thangs! There are a few trails going up, but I'm not sure which one is the best. It looks like about 10 miles and +2000' gain. Has anyone hiked it? I'm just curious about the conditions, what to expect, etc. 

I'll take my G20 for company :)

Edited by Wingshooter

No problem at all, glad I can help you out! For many years, my Dad has made it a tradition to hike to the top of frog and back on New Years Day.

Forest Service trail 64 to the top of frog is my suggestion. It is the most commonly hiked and trail conditions are usually good. It is one of the more difficult routes, but worth the trek. They recently installed new trail signs there because a portion is being used in conjunction with the Benton Mackaye trail.

As far as water, I wouldn't rely on a water source in the late summer. There is a water source just down the trail from the summit (towards licklog ridge), but likely will not be yielding much/if any in August.

Other options for you if you are interested would be to take 2 cars and go up one side of the mountain and come down another. None of your routes will be disappointing, but if you aren't familiar with the area, some of them can be a little confusing.

However, if you don't choose the the Forest Service 64 trail, my second suggestion would be hiking up Wolf Ridge.

Lastly, we have seen our fair share of bears in the CNF, but they aren't too much to worry about. If you know proper bear safety, you will be just fine. I, like you, choose to carry a pistol on most backpacking treks, but honestly it's more for the people than the bears. While I chuckle at the hillbilly comment, you will be 100% safe. On the other hand, I'm sure you know not to leave valuables in your car (especially for overnight trips.)

More than happy to answer any more questions you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Dang it, now I want to go hike it myself and I don't even know where it is. lol

Well all I can tell you is go for it buddy but don't bother inviting me cause I got tired and out of breath just reading what Con_Air posted and might need a nap today now!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Well all I can tell you is go for it buddy but don't bother inviting me cause I got tired and out of breath just reading what Con_Air posted and might need a nap today now!!

I'm with you on this, Bersa.:eek:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I never said I would make it in anything less that 4 days. Too much fast food over years of traveling and a desk job have put me far from a hiking body type. I still enjoy getting out there though. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll be at the back of the line with the people going with me and stopping often to breathe, lol. I'll actually be carrying more weight than I need for 2 days. I'll be hauling most of my gear to prepare for a CO elk backpack hunt. I've been hiking around the east TN hills in order to gain confidence and condition myself for the hunt, but now I'm just really enjoying backpacking/hiking.

I'd like to do 3 or 4 days someday on the Appalachian Trail. I live close enough that I need to enjoy those trails a little bit.