Anybody else gotta weedeat the whole yard before ya mow??

Man, this wears me out. My grass is so thick and retains so much moisture, I have to weedeat a little over a whole acre to get it to where it can dry where I can run my rider Husqvarna mulch mower over it. Thank God my wonderful wife bought me a DR walk behind trimmer/mower to do it... but that's still a lot of work. Anybody else have to do something so crazy?

I just strap my exhaust chute up to keep it from clogging and mow. Sometimes have to run back over it the opposite way in a few places to get it good. I have over an acre and I hate weedeating. So I do whatever to avoid it. The clumps of grass get broke up the next time I mow.

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 2

Do you fertilize? I'd stop that pronto. I experience something similar. I just raise the deck up and run over it quick. Then go back over it a second time. Still clumps up even with a mulching deck. The real fix for me is to just mow it every 3 days but who's got time for that?! Goats may be in my future...

I wish I had this problem in my front yard though. Can't grow anything but weeds there it seems. 

• Like 1

What they said....  weedeat an acre? :eek:  :squint:  :panic: :screwy:

Replace the mulching blades with discharge blades, open the chute, and let 'er fly. 

Wait until later in the afternoon so the grass has had all day to dry out before mowing. 

What kind of grass do you have?

Grass is growing like crazy with as much rain/sun as we've gotten.   You're gonna have to mow it at least twice a week if you're trying to mulch it. 

• Like 1

I have never fertilized. The grass is a mix of several kinds. The 2 I recognize are Bermuda and crab, lol.

Yeah, if I had time to mow every 3-4 days, that would probably help. But between my schedule and the monsoons we get, no can do.

• Like 1

With all this rain my grass also gets really thick and retains a lot of moisture.  I usually wait till late in the afternoon to mow when it is hottest.  That at least allows the grass to dry out some.  I still have to stop a time or two and clean the wet grass out of the mower deck.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wingshooter said:

Do you fertilize? I'd stop that pronto. I experience something similar. I just raise the deck up and run over it quick. Then go back over it a second time. Still clumps up even with a mulching deck. The real fix for me is to just mow it every 3 days but who's got time for that?! Goats may be in my future...

I wish I had this problem in my front yard though. Can't grow anything but weeds there it seems. 

I agree on my front yard. Back is huge...front is moss and weeds. I gotta get time to add some lime, but I barely have time to mow. I am scared to use the bags of weed-n-feed I got a coupke years ago because of how much trouble it us to keep up with now. My wife just says "You wanted a big yard." I repeat back to her "I never intended to keep it all mowed". So is life, mow or sleep in the dog house.....

• Like 1

When y'all get done with your one acre, come on out here to Tellico Plains. I got 25 acres that got away from me while I was in the hospital getting my gull bladder taken out. My other half has volunteered to cut it for me. Only thing is when she came out of the bedroom in shorts, for the first time this year, I thought she was dead.

Get rid of that mulching mower.  If you can't mow at least every 4 days, mulching is terrible.  Get something that you can set at least 4 " (5" is better) high and remove the discharge blocker.  

Worst case, hire someone to come in and mow it down to where you can manage it again at a lower height.

40 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I agree on my front yard. Back is huge...front is moss and weeds. I gotta get time to add some lime, but I barely have time to mow. I am scared to use the bags of weed-n-feed I got a coupke years ago because of how much trouble it us to keep up with now. My wife just says "You wanted a big yard." I repeat back to her "I never intended to keep it all mowed". So is life, mow or sleep in the dog house.....

I went from 0.25 acres with a heck of a slope in the backyard to 5.2 acres that are flat and love it! I got a damned big mower too. :)

1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

I went from 0.25 acres with a heck of a slope in the backyard to 5.2 acres that are flat and love it! I got a damned big mower too. :)

I wanted a bigger mower for my last one, but the insurance was replacing it and would pay 100% of a similar one or 0% of a zero turn. :wall:

3 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I wanted a bigger mower for my last one, but the insurance was replacing it and would pay 100% of a similar one or 0% of a zero turn. :wall:

That sucks. What's it matter to them what you use a settlement for? They only pay a certain amount.

25 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

That sucks. What's it matter to them what you use a settlement for? They only pay a certain amount.

The agent said that he had to pay a receipt. He said they wouldn't pay 1 if it wasn't for a similar unit. I should just went and got one at Sears and copied the receipt. Then went in and told them I want to not buy that 1 but by another one.  Then either return it or exchange it.