Bored out of my mind

Tuesday, 06-20-2017, I went for surgery on my left shoulder. 12 weeks of rehab but mean while I go into retirement on 1 July 2017.

Big life change for me hope it goes fairly smoothly.

I always thought I would work up to the day I died but things change and am retiring now.

Limited in what I can do, per doctor, and am about to go out of my head.

Wife says I am in the way and I have started collecting my belly button lent for a hobby.

If not for TGO I would be in a rubber room by now. Thanks folks for helping me keep fairly sane.   :bowrofl:

• Like 2

I was down for four weeks last year after ankle surgery.  I'm not a big TV guy, but I watched 4.5 seasons of Breaking Bad and probably 10 movies I've wanted to see over the years.  I also read five or six books and spent untold hours surfing with an iPad.  One day I researched all the denominations of the Church.  

12 weeks?  Good luck :wall:

33 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Tuesday, 06-20-2017, I went for surgery on my left shoulder. 12 weeks of rehab but mean while I go into retirement on 1 July 2017.

Big life change for me hope it goes fairly smoothly.

I always thought I would work up to the day I died but things change and am retiring now.

Limited in what I can do, per doctor, and am about to go out of my head.

Wife says I am in the way and I have started collecting my belly button lent for a hobby.

If not for TGO I would be in a rubber room by now. Thanks folks for helping me keep fairly sane.   :bowrofl:

Remember sanity is relative. Lol

As stupid as it sounds,waste some time on some games on a phone or tablet for a few minutes. There are lots of types from stupid to totally educational. 

If you like nature, buy a bird book and start checking off ones you can identify. That will at least get you outside and give the wife breathing room. Just stick to the shade.

I spent 6 weeks down for surgery back in my 20's when we did not even have a 4th tv channel. I read a lot and stared at the walls. Never a fun time. 

Hope you are back to 100% soon.

I wish to thank you all for the replies. Watching some TV, Hallmark Channel is playing Christmas but I like them. I do not like most TV.

Reading and trying to reload some 9mm. Reloading is going slow but I like it.

I have a great wife for putting up with me all these years and especially now. My dogs thinks I am crazy but nothing new there.

TGO has made it a little easier, I have started visiting real often.

Every body take care.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Man, I know what I would do with 12 weeks of forced inactivity:

https://www.coursera.org 

https://www.edx.org 

There are so many things I'm interested in, and so little time to dedicate to exploring.  We're at this weird juncture where there's some really great information at availabile at your fingertips - for free.  I've taken a couple of Stanford courses recently that were truly on par with graduate level courses I've taken.  

Between that and a free Amazon Web Services account I'd build something.  

Congrats on the retirement and it sounds like you're feeling pretty content about it.  That's a pretty rare accomplishment these days.  

• Like 1

Congrats on the retirement! Before you know it you'll be up and at em again. Then you'll be so busy you'll wonder how the heck you got anything done when you worked. 

For now heal up, relax and pat yourself on the back for making it to this point!

• Like 1

Had my aortic valve replaced last summer and was off work for 3 months. Lucky for me, the Cubs were on their run to championship at that time, and I got to watch every game. Also read a bunch of books. All and all, it wasn't so bad.

After I got back to work, I found out they had filled my position with someone cheaper and then they told me to retire. I was only 60.

We packed up and moved to Knoxville, and I couldn't be happier. My wife is only 52, just finished school, and is looking for work.

Although I suspect I will find some kind of part time job soon, I find retirement to be wonderful. I am far busier in retirement, than I ever was when I was working. I've taken over the cooking, cleaning and other household tasks. Plus, I have a host of projects on the house. I do more shooting and motorcycle riding than I ever did. I am starting to draw and paint again.

So get healthy, and when you are well, embrace retirement. It's not about sitting around, it's about doing all the things you love to do, and always wanted to do.

I probably will get a low key or part time job when I get well. I love to read, that's good because I think most stuff on TV is not worth watching.

I do have some hobbies that I can do now and see a lot of stuff I can work on when better. It's the when better that is wearing me down some.

Always been pretty active and worked all my life, well since 14, so it is a big change to me.

Thanks for all the replies folks. One of the main reasons I like TGO is the folks here.

All take care.

• Authorized Vendor

Rehab is tough....it really hinders productivity. Take care of yourself and soon you;l be able to pretty much whatever you want within reason. Truth be told it was during rehab I watched darn near every you tube video on knife making and one day I figured "I can do that". 

My point is you tube can be your friend. Like bushcraft...it's there. Like gold prospecting...it's there. Try it out...search for something that may interest you and before you know it there may be 20 things you're watching on you tube. It's a lot more interesting that TV....at least for me.

15 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

Rehab is tough....it really hinders productivity. Take care of yourself and soon you;l be able to pretty much whatever you want within reason. Truth be told it was during rehab I watched darn near every you tube video on knife making and one day I figured "I can do that". 

My point is you tube can be your friend. Like bushcraft...it's there. Like gold prospecting...it's there. Try it out...search for something that may interest you and before you know it there may be 20 things you're watching on you tube. It's a lot more interesting that TV....at least for me.

I often drifted off into YouTube land. It has been a HUGE distraction for me when I am laid up. YouTube convinced me I can do a lot of things I normally wouldn't have tried.

Some people may not agree but the internet has advanced humankind more than anything else. It teaches millions of people something new every single day and things such as ideas are shared instantly.

• Like 2
On 7/12/2017 at 10:02 PM, MacGyver said:

Man, I know what I would do with 12 weeks of forced inactivity:

https://www.coursera.org 

https://www.edx.org 

There are so many things I'm interested in, and so little time to dedicate to exploring.  We're at this weird juncture where there's some really great information at availabile at your fingertips - for free.  I've taken a couple of Stanford courses recently that were truly on par with graduate level courses I've taken. 

Being back on fast pace full time work after three years in college, and an on-call support job for a while before that makes me appreciate just how valuable time for learning is.