Getting to know you. What do you do?

Consultative, common-sense, discover / establish a need, by asking questions sales.

Have applied to tile, hot dogs, money, and now work for a software provider.

After 3 years in software sales and service (I do get to handle some front line help desk stuff)

I hope to retire from my current organization. 

• Like 4

Oklahoma native here.

Worked at the neighborhood grocery store from the age of 13 until I was 18. Enlisted in the Navy the day after my 18th Birthday and spent almost 21 years playing sailor. After the Navy, I went to work for the Postal Service as an electronic technician and spent 26 years doing that. I finally realized I'd been working for 53 years and decided to call it quits in 2009. Retired and enjoying it.

• Like 6

I worked at the hospital in Paris Tn. for 30 years as a medical technologist (lab tech.). After 30 years I took my retirement and moved to Murfreesboro because my wife wanted to live there. Took a year off and went to work as a lab tech for 8 more years in Manchester. Decided to retire again. I think this time it might take. Spending my time now playing with my toys. Guns, bicycles, guitars and motorcycles. Rode my bicycle 6018.3 miles last year and am on track to beat that mileage before 2017 is gone. In my spare time I on occasion restore a vintage bicycle and made my first music cd this year of songs I wrote. Yeah, it looks like retirement might just take this time.

• Like 9
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, cmsmith712001 said:

I am a Senior Analyst for the nations largest healthcare company with my primary focus being the financial impact analysis of contract proposals from medical device companies based in the US.  

I bet we work for the same company.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

So far, this thread makes me feel a touch inadequate.:unsure:

I sure hope it doesn't!

One of the things I really enjoy doing is watching people, especially people who are good at and passionate about their jobs - no matter what that job is.  I've sat and chatted with CEOs, policemen, doctors, engineers, groundskeepers, nannies, custodians, boat captains and all manner of people in between, just because I could tell that they were very good at what they did and loved their job.

Learning about why they loved their job and seeing how they poured themselves into doing it at the best of their abilities was and IS inspiring to me.

There is no such thing as a job beneath any other.  We all rely upon each other for various services, whether it is the kid who totes your groceries to your car at the store, the dad delivering pizzas to make ends meet, or the surgeon about to wheel you into the OR for a heart valve replacement.  I love it when those people are inspired by the work they do, no matter what that work is.

• Like 12

Not a lot to tell about me,

I am recovering from a old bout of misfortune & miscommunication < i.e. looking for work>.

While the last few years I mostly serve my family & friends, in my former life I was a project manager in the defense nuclear industry ( and picked up a post-employment PMP certification).

I have a real talent for mowing yards, running errands, and talking people out of stupid decisions (based on my own painful experience).

My favorite quote is  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot - 1927 - 1956

• Like 9

Toolmaker by trade. I work in quality now mainly programming CMM’s for First Article inspection of aircraft parts. Ready to retire anytime.

Started out in the Navy as a Machinist, got out and worked in some shops, did a few years as a Police Officer, went back to the shops, worked as an Applications Engineer for a Machine Tool Builder,  wife wanted to move here, so I took a job as a Toolmaker, and then to where I am now.

• Like 9
  • Authorized Vendor

Seems like most if not all of these jobs have several things in common.....a can do attitude, attention to detail and a devotion of some sort whether it be family, duty or country. Just what I'd expect from a bunch of guys on a gun forum.

• Like 12
7 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Seems like most if not all of these jobs have several things in common.....a can do attitude, attention to detail and a devotion of some sort whether it be family, duty or country. Just what I'd expect from a bunch of guys on a gun forum.

Yeah, but most of us still can't make knives as pretty as yours. Lol

• Like 3
I sure hope it doesn't!
One of the things I really enjoy doing is watching people, especially people who are good at and passionate about their jobs - no matter what that job is.  I've sat and chatted with CEOs, policemen, doctors, engineers, groundskeepers, nannies, custodians, boat captains and all manner of people in between, just because I could tell that they were very good at what they did and loved their job.
Learning about why they loved their job and seeing how they poured themselves into doing it at the best of their abilities was and IS inspiring to me.
There is no such thing as a job beneath any other.  We all rely upon each other for various services, whether it is the kid who totes your groceries to your car at the store, the dad delivering pizzas to make ends meet, or the surgeon about to wheel you into the OR for a heart valve replacement.  I love it when those people are inspired by the work they do, no matter what that work is.

Very well said sir! Mike Rowe couldn't have said it any better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You are not alone in that feeling, buddy.

I'm a college dropout. Bad habits, bad grades, and other things gave me the boot from school. Worked several kinds of jobs. Managing mini-markets(Will never do that again!), ware house work as stock puller, shipping and receiving for a small company. I worked for a cemetery operation for 4 years. I did sales and coordination of funerals. Did some line supervision and qc work for 9 years with a company making glass beads for reflective paint applications...road striping, signs, business cards, etc. Also during some of this did travels with craft shows and festivals. Found the Street Rod events and followed them for a while. Operated a seasonal craft and gift shop for 8 years. Some of this stuff ran concurrently, as some of these ran a season and went into another phase.

When the economy slowed in the mid 90's, and the discretionary income slacked off, i.e. people got tighter with the dough, I interviewed with an auto parts company and did route delivery for a while. Was offered a sales job with them and did that for the next 10 years.

Then my health issues jumped up and bit me in the tail feathers. After almost 3 years of treatments that I wouldn't wish on any of you guys, I was officially placed on SSD where I've been for the last 7 years. So now I'm in the ranks of the less than happily retired, read that as not enough money to be really comfortable. But as my wife is still working, we are ok. Not where I'd like to be, but that's where we've gotten to.

I'm officially a house-husband until my wife retires and I get a break from it. I also attempt to help out my In-laws when they will let me.

So I actually feel really, really inadequate as gregintenn says. Haven't done the things many here have, and don't have anywhere near the education and work experience. So I get a bit mopey now and then, sometimes maybe a wee bit jealous of some here. And as I've said before, I've had to slow down and stay on the porch as I can't run with the big dogs here, in spite of my efforts to do so.

Not complaining,  I'm very blessed to still be on this side of the dirt. We have done some of the things we've wanted to do; and hope to do more before the curtain falls.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 7
9 minutes ago, hipower said:

You are not alone in that feeling, buddy.

I'm a college dropout. Bad habits, bad grades, and other things gave me the boot from school. Worked several kinds of jobs. Managing mini-markets(Will never do that again!), ware house work as stock puller, shipping and receiving for a small company. I worked for a cemetery operation for 4 years I sales and coordination of funerals. Did some line supervision and qc work for 9 years with a company making glass beads for reflective paint applications...road striping, signs, business cards, etc. Also during some of this did travels with craft shows and festivals. Found the Street Rod events and followed them for a while. Operated a seasonal craft and gift shop for 8 years. Some of this stuff ran concurrently, as some of these ran a season and went into another phase.

When the economy slowed in the mid 90's, and the discretionary income slacked off, i.e. people got tighter with the dough, I interviewed with an auto parts company and did route delivery for a while. Was offered a sales job with them and did that for the next 10 years.

Then my health issues jumped up and I was officially placed on SSD where I've been for the last 7 years. So now I'm in the ranks of the less than happily retired, read that as not enough money to be really comfortable. But as my wife is still working, we are ok. Not where I'd like to be, but that's where I've gotten to. I'm a house-husband and attempt to help out my In-laws when they will let me.

So I actually feel really, really inadequate gregintenn. And as I've said before, I've had to slow down and stay on the porch as I can't run with the big dogs here.

Not complaining, we have done some of the things we've wanted to do; and hope to do more before the curtain falls.

No reason to feel inadequate. You seem to have tried and experienced a lot of different things and that's commendable in my book.

• Like 6

Born in CA, worked as a jobsite foreman for 13yrs, I was going through a divorce and my ex-brother in-law convinced me TN was the place to be, so I move to TN and he hires me for his manufacturing business, I move into his house and during the first month of my new life make over his wife's best friend sets me up on a blind date, I make the call and we spend hours just talking, ask her out, do the dinner/movie combo after the movie she invites me back to her place and introduces me to her 3yr old daughter, 1 month later I move in, 8 months later we marry, 11 months later my son is born and in 6wks my son moves out and becomes a FT college student. Dam time flies I'm defiantly not ready to be a empty nester..

Back to the job, I loved my construction job and all my friends I left behind in Ca!!

I've been doing my current job for 20yrs, my buddy sold his business 4yrs ago to a corporation and it hasn't been the same since!! Wait it just sucks.... We all make sacrifices for our family..

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Tuffus said:

No reason to feel inadequate. You seem to have tried and experienced a lot of different things and that's commendable in my book.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I didn't mean to be so bleak in that. Guess I'm a bit down today. I've had contact with an old friend recently that has just blown me away with her story of recovery and redemption. I won't go into details, but after 3 marriages, 3 kids, one with physical disabilities, and losing both parents and a brother within 3 months; this woman went back to college, got her degree, graduated with her son, has had  several great jobs and is now a success in her first love...singing and recording of Gospel and Christian music. She only plays 4 instruments, by her own words, not well. But well enough to record and play for herself and others. Also built her own recording studio and her home. Literally by herself.

A true renaissance woman!

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Raoul said:

I've been a self employed real estate appraiser since 1989.

The bulk of my work is residential. It's been so long since I had a boss I'm pretty much unemployable by now.

I am adding the above to my resume...

• Like 8
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Absolutely no need to that way. I have one of your holsters that still just as good, snug and wearable as the day you sent it to me. I have no grand illusions (or delusions for that matter) about my life. I have had many conversations with people, my pastor included, and they say I have had a very interesting life. Things that I don't tell people about the Navy is the constant "forking" I tended to receive, especially being single. Being single is a sure way to get stuck on duty for all holidays. In my second command I was shore duty, but being single, I walked into work on Monday and was told I was deploying Friday for 6 months. The aircraft mechanic I was replacing wasn't deployable due to "marital problems". So fork me over for being single.  

• Like 4

Hmmm.

8 years active army most with 101st

19 years lLEO  (16 SWAT) 

Got into the NG after an 8 year break in service. (Almost 20 years total service now)

Shoot competitively for military and teach LR shooting and Sniper for a couple of  companies.

Have really been blessed getting paid to work in areas that go along with what I do for enjoyment.

6 years until I retire from police.

Plan on staying in military until forced out or stop having fun.

• Like 6
  • Moderators

Worked my way up through the ranks in the automobile industry. Purchased the Ford Dealership I had worked at for 10 years. Sold it 10 years later and semi retired. Started a photography company as a hobby. Built it into a thriving youth league sports and school photography business over the next 5 years. We were taking over 60,000 kids pictures a year.  Sold that business and opened my own insurance, financial planning, business coaching agency. Been doing that the last 6 years.

• Like 5
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, hipower said:

So I actually feel really, really inadequate as gregintenn says. Haven't done the things many here have, and don't have anywhere near the education and work experience. So I get a bit mopey now and then, sometimes maybe a wee bit jealous of some here. And as I've said before, I've had to slow down and stay on the porch as I can't run with the big dogs here, in spite of my efforts to do so.

Not complaining,  I'm very blessed to still be on this side of the dirt. We have done some of the things we've wanted to do; and hope to do more before the curtain falls.

I wouldn't feel inadequate with the life-experiences you have had.  There are foks who spend their entire adulthood trapped behind a desk and never experience anything else that the world has to offer.  Chasing the hot rod car scene?  I mean, seriously, that is a dream for a lot of office-dwellers!

I have come to realize that any time a door closed unexpectedly on me, no matter how much I disliked it at the time, later on I realized that I was so glad that it had.  God's always taken care of me just as it seems he has you.  There's a lot to be thankful for right there.

• Like 11
19 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I wouldn't feel inadequate with the life-experiences you have had.  There are foks who spend their entire adulthood trapped behind a desk and never experience anything else that the world has to offer.  Chasing the hot rod car scene?  I mean, seriously, that is a dream for a lot of office-dwellers!

I have come to realize that any time a door closed unexpectedly on me, no matter how much I disliked it at the time, later on I realized that I was so glad that it had.  God's always taken care of me just as it seems he has you.  There's a lot to be thankful for right there.

Well, I have had diverse work experiences, but just haven't really felt fulfilled with them. I do think there is something else coming my way.

I suspect that it will show before I leave here.

• Like 4