Interesting...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=86039

Text from Article...

(U.S. Representative Bobby Rush, D-Ill., is hoping to pass a firearm licensing bill that will significantly rewrite gun ownership laws in America.

Among the more controversial provisions of the bill are requirements that all handgun owners submit to the federal government a photo, thumb print and release of mental heath records. Further, the bill would order the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer and owner's address in America.

The bill claims its purpose is "to protect the pubic against the unreasonable risk of injury and death associated with the unrecorded sale or transfer of firearms to criminals and youth."

Columnist David Codrea of Guns Magazine, however, calls it a "ridiculous affront to liberty."

"This is nothing less than a declaration of war on American gun owners," Codrea writes on Gun Rights Examiner.

Rush's proposed bill, H.R. 45, is alternatively known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009," named after an Illinois teenager killed by a gunshot.

According the bill's text, "On the afternoon of May 10, 2007, Blair Holt, a junior at Julian High School in Chicago, was killed on a public bus riding home from school when he used his body to shield a girl who was in the line of fire after a young man boarded the bus and started shooting."

The bill then argues that interstate firearm trafficking and children dying from gun violence create legitimate cause for the federal government to monitor gun ownership and transfers in new ways.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" – defined as any handgun or any semiautomatic firearm that takes an ammunition clip – without a "Blair Holt" license.

To obtain a "Blair Holt" license, an application must be made that includes a photo, address, all previous aliases, thumb print, completion of a written firearm safety test, release of mental health records to the attorney general and a fee not to exceed $25.

Further, the bill makes it illegal to transfer ownership of a qualifying firearm to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector. Exceptions to this rule include transfer to family members by gift or bequest and loans, not to exceed 30 days, of a firearm for lawful purposes "between persons who are personally known to each other."

The bill also requires qualifying firearm owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours or fail to report a change of address within 60 days.

And if a minor obtains a weapon and injures someone with it, the owner of the gun – if deemed to have failed to meet certain safety requirements – faces a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is a resurfacing of 2007's H.R. 2666, which contained much of the same language and was co-sponsored by 15 other representatives and Barack Obama's current chief of staff, Rahm Emmanuel. H.R. 2666 was assigned to the House Judiciary committee, where no action was taken.

H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors and is likewise assigned to the House Judiciary committee.)

Here is the bill itself in PDF...

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h45ih.txt.pdf

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you are an employed, tax paying, legal citizen you should register just incase, at some point you become DB #1. As for the current overflow of DB"s, they won't have to register because your sudden turn to the dark side will cause a total flux in the time/space continuem, and these said former DB will become the model citizen who will be in fear of your registered hiney....ohhhhhh, I get it.

What a bunch of horse hockey....Col. Potter

This is a particularly scary bill. I urge everyone of this forum to contact his or her Representative on this one. If passed in its current form, evenif you dont buy any new guns, you would have 2 years after the effective date to get licensed. Although it is a "shall issue" bill, it is also the dreaded gun registration bill (at least if you buy or sell a covered gun after the effective date). Finally, it criminalizes a number of civil tort issues (e.g., negligent storage).

From my reading on the bill, I do NOT believe the Heller decision would affect this bill. It would require another Supreme Court decision to overturn it. Who knows what the Court will look like at the time.

Guest frankcostanza

And if a minor obtains a weapon and injures someone with it, the owner of the gun – if deemed to have failed to meet certain safety requirements – faces a multiple-year jail sentence.

I think this part almost bothers me more than the registration part. What ever happened to personal responsibility and being held accountable for your OWN actions? Needless to say, I'll be emailing ol' Lincoln Davis about this one.

Guest tcampbell

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" – defined as any handgun or any semiautomatic firearm that takes an ammunition clip – without a "Blair Holt" license.

I don't own any guns that uses clips anyways...:D

Yet another politician that is not politically correct...

Guest rlrm777

This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall

7 not apply to any department or agency of the United

8 States, of a State, or of a political subdivision of a State,

9 or to any official conduct of any officer or employee of

10 such a department or agency.

so another convuluted set of regulations that don't apply to THEM, only us peons.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall

not apply to any department or agency of the United

States, of a State, or of a political subdivision of a State,

or to any official conduct of any officer or employee of

such a department or agency.

so another convuluted set of regulations that don't apply to THEM, only us peons.

THEY know what is best for us...just ask THEM and they will tell you....

by nature I dislike the political creature--most of them would sell their souls to the devil if they could...

I wrote Bart Gordon today. He has been pretty supportive of 2nd Amendment rights. Lets hope so now more than ever.

I am going to call Lincoln Davis tomorrow and express my concerns with this particular piece of legislation....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest D Mason

In reading about the HR45 Bill if it is passed without any changes the HCP I have will be no good! If this is true I will have to do all the things again......Test,picture,fingerprint,medical records. What a waste...Am I right?

In reading about the HR45 Bill if it is passed without any changes the HCP I have will be no good! If this is true I will have to do all the things again......Test,picture,fingerprint,medical records. What a waste...Am I right?

Only if you are going to follow these unconstitutional rules.

No co-sponsors. Unless that changes, I don't give this much chance of ever getting out of committee.

In the House a bill never has to come out of committee. It can be brought directly to the floor. Most bills like this are brought directly to the floor in one of the House's famous midnight quorum calls.

It is enough of a concern that reps should be contacted to know that their constituents are aware of it and will be watching.