Lancer Magazines??

DaveTN

I need some mags for a DPMS Gen 2 308. Magpul had an issue with the Pmags and the DPMS G2 compatibility; that doesn’t appear to be fixed. I have zero desire to modify a magazine that doesn’t work properly; so I started looking for an alternative.

The name Lancer kept coming up. Never heard of them; anyone using Lancer Mags? How to they compare to Pmags?

Any others I should be looking at? (non-metal)

I have 3 Lancer L7AWM mags that I use in an Aero Precision M5 lower.  Two translucent tan 20-rounders, and a smoke translucent 10-rounder. No problems with them locking in, feeding, holding the bolt open on the last round.  I think only 1 of the 3 mags drop free from my lower.  The Lancers are about twice the price of the PMags (which is why I only have 3 Lancer L7's).

The primary mags I use in the M5 are 20-round PMags which do everything the Lancers do and all of them drop free.

But if the PMags are not an option for your rifle, the Lancers seem to be good mags.

I haven't used any of their 7.62 mags yet but their 5.56 translucent mags have been 100% reliable. It was my understanding that the Lancer mags followed the same sr25 magazine pattern as the magpul pmags. I may be wrong on this though. 

• 8 months later...

Their AR-15 mags are excellent for .223 and 5.56, however I do not recommend them for 300 Blackout. They kept jamming on me. Magpul makes some specifically for 300 Blackout if that is your thing.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:10 AM, DaveTN said:

I need some mags for a DPMS Gen 2 308. Magpul had an issue with the Pmags and the DPMS G2 compatibility; that doesn’t appear to be fixed. I have zero desire to modify a magazine that doesn’t work properly; so I started looking for an alternative.

The name Lancer kept coming up. Never heard of them; anyone using Lancer Mags? How to they compare to Pmags?

Any others I should be looking at? (non-metal)

I use lancer for .458 SOCOM. There are two grades. The good grade is great. Forget what it's called. I have some of both.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, Ehunt said:

Their AR-15 mags are excellent for .223 and 5.56, however I do not recommend them for 300 Blackout. They kept jamming on me. Magpul makes some specifically for 300 Blackout if that is your thing.

That's weird, I got Lancers specifically for my 300 BO so they would stand out from the 5.56 stuff and they all run great.  I'm not running subsonic though and have only run 124 gr HPs through mine.  Lots of factors to the mix though.

I liked their performance so much I got a couple more engraved for the .458 as well.  We think to much alike Mr. Gideon

I think the bolt actions stay home this year and I'll make it an all AR deer season with the Socom and BO pulling service this upcoming fall.  Just to switch it up.  

Sure wish the Preds would get rolling, the only reason I'm still up is I'm watching them flail around in Colorado.  Must be the second hand blaze.

23 hours ago, Rightwinger said:

That's weird, I got Lancers specifically for my 300 BO so they would stand out from the 5.56 stuff and they all run great.  I'm not running subsonic though and have only run 124 gr HPs through mine.  Lots of factors to the mix though.

I liked their performance so much I got a couple more engraved for the .458 as well.  We think to much alike Mr. Gideon

the ones I had were 5.56, not specifically designed for 300 BLK. That is probably why I was having issues.

2 hours ago, Ehunt said:

the ones I had were 5.56, not specifically designed for 300 BLK. That is probably why I was having issues.

Except that 300 BLK is a 5.56 case. There was a problem with PMAGS because the front of the mags were notched for 5.56 bullets. It's why 458 SOCOM has a problem with PMAGS. Now, the follower will tilt on the cheesy grade Lancers, but they don't interfere with the projectiles like the PMAGS. The follower on the good grade is as good as a PMAG

Cheesy grade (L5) on the left, good grade (L5 AWM) on the right. These are 20 rounders...

010e9515964e361329797c435712efd3f7d83c2f51.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1