Fun pictures or videos.

Message added by Chucktshoes

A small reminder. Political memes belong in the appropriate thread in the benefactor area of TGO. Your cooperation is appreciated. 

Thanks!

20 hours ago, peejman said:

I knew kids with all 3. The peanut allergy kids weren't segregated, we knew they were allergic and it wasn't much of an issue. Same with the ADHD kids, they were a little wilder than the rest of us but didn't get any elaborate accommodations. They were expected to behave just like everyone else. The kids with autism did have their own special classes, but we never thought much of it. 

Same.   Although we didn't know the word autism back then.   We just knew they were special and they had special classes.  

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/17/2020 at 4:02 AM, Quavodus said:

Yeah, when I was in school, I don't remember any kids having peanut allergies, ADHD, autism either. 

ADHD was called hyperactivity when I was a kid. They didn't give medication for it, just more ass whippings.  My mother was concerned that I was hyperactive and asked the doctor (maybe 1978?).  He said, "Does he go to sleep ok?"  Yes.  "Does he sleep all night?"  Yes.  "Lady, all he needs is 10 acres and a 10 foot fence."  I could probably still use it.  

• Haha 4
12 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Yep exactly. Kids got their butts warmed up and it pretty much worked.

No it didn't.   Some kids grow out of the ADHD thing.  The ones that didn't, regardless of butts being "warmed up" have grown up to have some real adult problems.   There are studies that show that children diagnosed with ADHD are growing up to later be diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.   It could have been misdiagnosed when they were a child or there could be something that links these two disorders.   And if you are around them enough, you will find a lot of alcoholism and drug abuse in bipolar people.  Self medicating taken too far.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I just know it worked for me and some others. 

I wouldn't worry about it. When I was a cop I could tell the difference between those that were given corporal punishment and the "Time Out Kids " that I arrested. The latter were always shocked that they were actually being severely punished by the legal system. Some would even go so far as to beg mommy & daddy to get them out of it. I grew up with parents who had no problems whipping my butt when I deserved it. A few years after I graduated from high school, my mother earned her Master's of Psychology and used it to counsel abused children. She took custody of my oldest niece and became a time out parent. You could tell the difference between her and my two sisters, and it wasn't good.

48 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I just know it worked for me and some others. 

You didn't.   I just don't think it's as simple as we should beat them and they will be fine.  Mental illness is a real thing and you can't spank that out of someone. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You didn't.   I just don't think it's as simple as we should beat them and they will be fine.  Mental illness is a real thing and you can't spank that out of someone. 

Though you can beat it into them. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

No it didn't.   Some kids grow out of the ADHD thing.  The ones that didn't, regardless of butts being "warmed up" have grown up to have some real adult problems.   There are studies that show that children diagnosed with ADHD are growing up to later be diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.   It could have been misdiagnosed when they were a child or there could be something that links these two disorders.   And if you are around them enough, you will find a lot of alcoholism and drug abuse in bipolar people.  Self medicating taken too far.  

On the other hand, I know a couple adults who got medicated for ADHD as kids and they are now train wrecks.  I know others whose parents declined to medicate them as suggested by their doctors and they are happy with their decision (both parents and kid), especially after seeing how others turned out.  In the not so distant past, it seemed like ADHD diagnoses and the resulting Ritalin/Adderall RX were rampant.  Every energetic kid was suspected of having ADHD.  I’m not advocating corporal punishment, but many of the ADHD meds seem like a bad idea in hindsight.  I’m glad they weren’t common in the 70s. 

17 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

On the other hand, I know a couple adults who got medicated for ADHD as kids and they are now train wrecks.  I know others whose parents declined to medicate them as suggested by their doctors and they are happy with their decision (both parents and kid), especially after seeing how others turned out.  In the not so distant past, it seemed like ADHD diagnoses and the resulting Ritalin/Adderall RX were rampant.  Every energetic kid was suspected of having ADHD.  I’m not advocating corporal punishment, but many of the ADHD meds seem like a bad idea in hindsight.  I’m glad they weren’t common in the 70s. 

Absolutely.  I don't think that medication is the correct option, and definitely not for everyone.  I am only saying that spankings don't work on everyone.  Sometimes there is something else at play that is much stronger than any switches I can fetch.  

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Agreed.  There's plenty of ADHD diagnoses that are more lazy parents than hyperactive kids. In those cases the wrong party is getting whipped. 

As I've interacted with more ADHD kids (mostly coaching baseball), I've learned that they're much more engaged than you might initially  think. I find their fidgeting very distracting when I'm trying to give instruction ( I was raised to sit still and pay attention). But if I force myself to ignore it, a lot of the time they can repeat back what I said to a much greater accuracy than the kids who appeared to be paying attention. It definitely takes some extra shepherding to keep them on task, but that doesn't necessarily correspond to lack of ability. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Back on  topic...

image.png

Dang I'm slow today! I've looked at this for about 3/4 minutes and just realized it wasn't a set of boobs!

Then another few seconds to pick up on the mask! I'm losing it today! lol

22 minutes ago, hipower said:

Dang I'm slow today! I've looked at this for about 3/4 minutes and just realized it wasn't a set of boobs!

Then another few seconds to pick up on the mask! I'm losing it today! lol

Been a while?........lol