Travel Through Illinois

I have a vacation coming up and unfortunately the shortest, fastest route goes through Illinois. I could totally avoid it, but would add many miles and time to an already long day. I plan on having my EDC pistol with me in the car, as well as a boxed, 22 Cricket Rifle that I am taking to my granddaughter.

Has anyone traveled through IL and offer any advise on how to do it? The way I read the laws on Handgunlaw.us, IL doesn't recognize anybody's HCL and even carrying a boxed, new rifle in the trunk might run afoul of the law. I'll be on the interstate from Paducah to St Louis.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Lock it up, unloaded, ammo separate, and don't give them any reason to pull you over. Southern Illinois is much less wacko than greater Chicago area. 

Would you lock it in trunk or get one of those thin underseat "safes" that cable to the seat frame? As to the other, I'm a speed limit guy these days.

If you have a carry permit you are good in your car; not in public. Illinois only requires you to notify if asked.

My wife was stopped a couple of weeks ago by a Farina City Police Officer running radar on I-57. I was kind of surprised when the Officer asked for my ID. It took a little longer than it should have to write the ticket and I was wondering if he was waiting on back-up after seeing I have a carry permit.

In Tennessee I would have handed my HCP with my license; I wasn’t pushing it in Illinois. Still too many city cops that don’t know the rules. If it was ISP I wouldn’t have hesitated.

But no drama, he gave her a ticket and handed me back my license. He was friendly.

But yes, if you don’t have a valid HCP; unloaded ammo separate and inaccessible.

That was late at night. When I came back though in the daytime a different Farina City cop was there. I’m a former Illinois cop; that’s just something that we didn’t do. If you aren’t responsible for working accidents on a road; you don’t use it as a speed trap.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If you have a carry permit you are good in your car; not in public. Illinois only requires you to notify if asked.

So you are saying my TN HCP is enough to keep it loaded in the car? I'm ok with that or even locking it up in the car. I probably won't even stop in IL between Paducha and St Louis.

10 minutes ago, Westwindmike said:

So you are saying my TN HCP is enough to keep it loaded in the car? I'm ok with that or even locking it up in the car. I probably won't even stop in IL between Paducha and St Louis.

Your TN HCP means nothing in Illinois.  There is no reciprocity.

13 minutes ago, Westwindmike said:

Garufa is correct; there is no reciprocity with Illinois. However; there is Illinois law.

Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/40(e),

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. 
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)

Here is a link if you want to read it yourself…

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

• Like 2
Just now, Westwindmike said:

I think I'll just try and avoid IL all together. I'll jump over from KY into MO at about Cairo and keep on going. Might take longer, but I'll feel safer.

A lot of people feel that way. I do most of my shooting in Illinois anymore, so I don’t have a choice. :)

6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Garufa is correct; there is no reciprocity with Illinois. However; there is Illinois law.

Here is a link if you want to read it yourself…

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

That's the kind of info people need...from the state's own website (I assume).

Being the type that I am I do not rely on national "where you can carry" or "national gun law" websites.  It's best to get it from the source.

Just now, Garufa said:

That's the kind of info people need...from the state's own website (I assume).

Being the type that I am I do not rely on national "where you can carry" or "national gun law" websites.  It's best to get it from the source.

I like that too, but reading the law, I think it says I can keep a loaded gun in my car? I just want to get through the state with no fuss from some small town cop running radar on the interstate when he shouldn't even be there.

6 minutes ago, Westwindmike said:

I like that too, but reading the law, I think it says I can keep a loaded gun in my car? I just want to get through the state with no fuss from some small town cop running radar on the interstate when he shouldn't even be there.

Then I'd have it unloaded and locked up in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible. 

If you have a handgun carry permit, you can have a handgun loaded in your car in Illinois and that includes Chicago.  You just can't carry it loaded on your person outside of your car unless you are in your hotel room or somewhere like a range or hunting.  Why would you not have a loaded handgun in your car for the trip when you are legal?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 300winmag said:

If you have a handgun carry permit, you can have a handgun loaded in your car in Illinois and that includes Chicago.  You just can't carry it loaded on your person outside of your car unless you are in your hotel room or somewhere like a range or hunting.  Why would you not have a loaded handgun in your car for the trip when you are legal?

Because sometimes legal won't keep you out of trouble in a state like IL. Or NY, or CA.

• Like 1

Thanks for this information.  I have 4 trips scheduled to Chicago over the next year, it's work related.  I drive up there when I go and I don't carry because I didn't know that I could.  Last I heard they were pulling people over with plates from gun friendly states and hassling them.

So if I understand, since I have a permit, I can carry.  But I'm supposed to unload my gun when I leave my car and go inside of my hotel, and can load back up when I get inside of my room?

Does Illinois have a magazine size restriction?

It's been many years since I made that trip up I-24 to St.Louis but I do know back when I did make the trips I noticed that there are a lot of IHP cars on that stretch of road and every time one would get behind me they would seem like they would follow me for at least 25 to 30 miles before dropping off an exit ramp. I don't know if it is still like that but I think they watch out for out of state vehicles and very likely it take about 25 miles for them to run your tags and get all the info on you before they either pull you over on drop off....................JMHO

• Like 1

I grew up to the ripe age of 17 in that state and back then it was a great place. Today You will never find me even wanting to entertain a thought of ever going back there. I do feel for those of you that might have to travel there.  I still have friends up that and i get horror stories about stuff that goes on up there all the time......JMHO

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

So if I understand, since I have a permit, I can carry.  But I'm supposed to unload my gun when I leave my car and go inside of my hotel, and can load back up when I get inside of my room?

Yes

9 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Does Illinois have a magazine size restriction?

Not on Handguns

• Like 1

Last time I was in IL I still had NY plates on my truck and using the same law as referenced, I did have a loaded gun in the console. I stayed over night just below IL in KY and took Interstates South to North as much as possible and only stopped for food and fuel. Spent the next night in WI. They didn't get much of my money.

• Moderators

I'm heading to Chicago in a couple of weeks for a meeting and them to Peoria to visit my daughter. I will have my handgun loaded in the car. Will unload and lock up to take into hotel room etc.  I also try not to speed as much anymore so hopefully can get there and back without a speeding ticket. Set the cruise and enjoy the journey. We can all live in fear or not. I try to abide by the laws whether I like them or not. (well speeding has been an issue). I try to protect myself and my family physically and legally with protection and coverage for both. Life is stressful enough, I intend to enjoy what time I have left. Can things  happen, absolutely.  I just paid a large life insurance claim to a 24 year olds family. Hit head on by a drunk driver while he was sitting on his motorcycle at a stop light. I tell my wife almost daily, create fear and you can maintain control.  I choose not to fear and will live life with the understanding anything can happen. 

Illinois is now better than California for non residents because at least you can have a loaded handgun in your car in Illinois.  You have to put a handgun unloaded in the trunk or a locked case in California since there is no way for you to get a license there.  At least you can have a handgun in your hotel room legally in both states.  It could be worse like New York.

As per law you are to unload gun and case before exiting auto ,if taking gun out of auto. FYI in Speed Zones set cruise for and watch as it drops 55 to45

fine can be $900 and up. They have a fleet of White Vans that sit in speed zones only with a periscope that is photo radar and you will get a ticket with your car and tag in mail in a few days. I have hear a few horror stories on this.  On open road ISP may only allow eight over on out of State.

• Like 1