Beth Harwell announces plan to run for Tennessee governor

Notice how she doesn't even bother to lie and claim she was a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

Frankly she can do a lot less damage to gun rights as the Governor since overriding a veto is an easy thing to do, but we should work very hard to keep her from being elected.

If she gets the nomination this should be novel.  I haven't voted for a Democrat in a while but I think I'd rather give them a chance than vote for Harwell and essentially give the Haslam regime another term.  I have seriously come to the conclusion that the only way to break the cycle wherein our current Republican-dominated state government lies to us, blows smoke up our butts and constantly double-crosses us is to vote some Democrats in for a term or two so that we can later replace them with true firearms right supporters.  Hell, for that matter there are probably some Democrats who are, in a practical sense, more pro gun rights than Harwell or Haslam (or Ramsey.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

I would vote Dem instead of Harwell.  The House and Senate will still fake being conservative so I don't see anything major happening if a Dem does get elected.  It may actually make the Republicans try to pass more favorable gun laws just to make them veto it.  A little reverse psychology maybe..ha.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I would vote Dem instead of Harwell.  The House and Senate will still fake being conservative so I don't see anything major happening if a Dem does get elected.  It may actually make the Republicans try to pass more favorable gun laws just to make them veto it.  A little reverse psychology maybe..ha.

I think that is exactly what happened with the so-called 'guns in bars' bill/law.  Bredesen vetoed it and the legislature over-rode his veto.  When we had a Democrat governor and a Democrat Speaker of the House the Republicans in the legislature - as well as some Democrats - had something to prove.  They wanted to convince gun owners that they were on our side so that we would help give them control of the state government and they have been double-crossing and bait-and-switching us ever since.  I think we need to get back to a balance in which, while there are still enough 'pro gun' representatives and senators or at least enough that want us to believe they are 'pro gun' to pass good legislation, those ostensibly 'pro gun' members of the legislature have to actually work to prove it.  Give them a governor they have to fight instead of one that says, "Don't send me any real, strong pro gun rights bills," to which they respond, "Whatever you say, Lord Haslam."  Even worse in the last, few years was the situation where a pro gun rights bill is gutted because UPS or FedEx doesn't like it and they get their bought and paid for puppet - who was supposedly 100% behind gun rights and carry rights - to gut the bill.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...