New member and future resident

Greetings to everyone. Currently live in New York, retiring soon and looking to move to a more respectable state. Gun owner, hunter, knifemaker. Have made many trips to eastern Tennessee, we are looking at the Bristol, Knoxville area to move to. Love riding, lots of good roads and scenery.

Looking forward to a new home in your great state.

We moved to NE TN 2 years ago, great move for us. Just got back from our first visit to Western NY since we moved and I swear I felt my chest tighten when we crossed the NY state line. Scared my wife when I grabbed my chest and groaned. :-)

Welcome to TGO and hope you enjoy Tennessee!!!

Thanks Greg, I was trying to find a nice way to ask him to make sure he left New York in New York when he came south to Tennessee but you did a good job.....:clap:...................JMHO

Edited by bersaguy

We hired a realtor in Kingsport to help us find the right house and he was great in helping us see the important things in the area and finding the right house. We spent over a week and over 500 miles spread out over two trips with him and by the second day he knew better than us what we wanted. After he found us our house I asked him if I could recommend him to any of my Yankee friends and he said I could recommend him to any conservative friends that I had.

• Like 1

Yep, talked to a very nice lady in Johnson City who showed us some property, still looking around. Have a friend who lives in Sevierville, going down by Lake Douglas next month for awhile. Got a bit of time before I retire. Really want out of NY.

How's the hunting down here?

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, aknifemaker said:

Yep, talked to a very nice lady in Johnson City who showed us some property, still looking around. Have a friend who lives in Sevierville, going down by Lake Douglas next month for awhile. Got a bit of time before I retire. Really want out of NY.

How's the hunting down here?

I was in your same position 3 years ago. What part of NY are you coming out of. Most folks think city but NY is about 10,000 Sq miles larger than TN. Maybe I can give you some good tips. Down here the high deer limit keeps the deer pop really low compared to upstate bumper bouncers.

Live in Nassau county which is turning into the armpit of the world. Just waiting for retirement to kick in. Did a lot of hunting in the Catskills, Delaware county mostly. Now go up to Madison county a good friend of mine has property up there, some nice deer up there. Hunt bow and gun, can't wait to see what  Tennessee has to offer.

Going down to Lake Douglas next month for vacation and recon.

Glad to meet ya!

I grew up in Sevierville, worked in Knoxville, and live close to Johnson City. The Sevierville area is just too tourist ridden for me (high prices too), Knoxville is too much like a big city, but the Tri-cities keep a smaller town feel. You have access to a bunch of stuff due to the combined population. Plus you are close to VA and NC if you want a day trip. 

My only advice is buy as much land as you can afford if you want to shoot at home. My 2 acres is just too close for shooting comfort to other houses. Prices should be very favorable compared to NY.

3 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

Live in Nassau county which is turning into the armpit of the world. Just waiting for retirement to kick in. Did a lot of hunting in the Catskills, Delaware county mostly. Now go up to Madison county a good friend of mine has property up there, some nice deer up there. Hunt bow and gun, can't wait to see what  Tennessee has to offer.

Going down to Lake Douglas next month for vacation and recon.

Nassau county..... ow , that's the King Cong of NY tax monsters! Gez, its so bad their even a NY CCW permit is not valid there. I feel for your pain. Armpit is a kind expletive in this case. I had a full service store front gun shop in Kerhonkson NY & back in those days had a number of regular city hunters come threw every year. I looked at all the places you are now looking at and I gotta say, its getting a bit too elbow to elbow for me in that neck of the woods on top of the fact the elevation is not much at the Smoky foot hills & lakes. That all equals heavy hot humid air like what they have right now. Up here on the Cumberland plateau that runs 1900-2000' its a very noticeable temp difference. Winters are a bit more chilly with some icing and a passing inch or 2 of very short lived snow. And that's just fine with me. Crossville is our adopted town and after visiting dozens of other small towns, we would not be happier any where else for numerous reasons. One of the most important parts of this web page is listening very carefully to the regulars thoughts on the politicians running for office. They will guide my 4 state wide votes. Your conservative? vote here will not get trumped by massive metro brainless dems like in NYC altho the cancer is growing in Nashville by leaps & bounds now a days.  Just be carful in your final selection. "Dam Yankee" can carry some weight in places. http://www.city-data.com/city/Tennessee.html  is your best source for stats on everything from the county vote totals to what stores each town has.  PM me if you need anything more. Good Luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the tips and info. Just really starting the looking process now, got a year + before I retire, will look at the Cumberland plateau area. My wife is a bit younger and she will need a job for several years so that's in the mix also. My godfather lived in Kerhonkson, but that was many years ago. Am ok with change of seasons and a little snow.

The day of the election I went to bed at night thinking Hillary would win and when my wife woke me for work in the morning and said Trump was President I told her she should not joke like that. BUT IT WAS TRUE! Was so happy took the day off and went shooting!

On 7/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, aknifemaker said:

Greetings to everyone. Currently live in New York,

As a former Yankee myself, welcome!

I spent the last 20-years bopping around outside Roch-cha-cha. Finally saw the light!

- Kevin

Edited by ReeferMac