Dunkirk... who's going to watch it?

Sam1

I will probably wait till it comes out on DVD and the buy it. I enjoy sitting at home watching great movies and once I watch it I share them with family members. They normally chip in a few bucks towards the purchase of it so everyone gets to see it for a few bucks. Most everyone in the family has the huge screen TV's except me but I have a 36 inch flat screen which is plenty for me.................:cheers:

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I'll probably wait to see what others here have to say about it first. I find that movie critics judge by different standards than I do, and I also like to wait until the crowds die down so that the theater isn't crowded.

I doubt there will be big crowds, there rarely are for semi-realistic war movies.

• Like 1

I normally don't get bent out of shape about gun-buster signs but the fact that every theatre near me is posted means I rarely go to movies. It's one of the few places I get uncomfortable being disarmed.

I'll wait and catch it at Redbox. It looks awesome.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I normally don't get bent out of shape about gun-buster signs but the fact that every theatre near me is posted means I rarely go to movies. It's one of the few places I get uncomfortable being disarmed.

I'll wait and catch it at Redbox. It looks awesome.

I think this is one of those films that deserves the big-screen treatment for full enjoyment.  And, concealed means concealed.

Edited by Whisper
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Sam1 said:

I doubt there will be big crowds, there rarely are for semi-realistic war movies.

I stand corrected.  Just drove out to the IMAX - completely sold out.  Lady said people were buying tickets for this thing 30 days out.  Guess I'll do a Sunday morning or something.

• Admin Team

We're not going to get too many more WWII movies - especially not big budget ones.

Forget the fact that most of our own population has forgotten or simply never cared to learn.  They don't play well in China - and that's pretty much a requirement for the big studios to make them these days.  It's a rare movie that recoups its budget in domestic sales alone, so they want pictures that play well globally. The movie business is a sorry business these days...

I'll probably venture out to see it.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I only venture to the theater for James Bond and Star Trek movies.  Dunkirk is as close as it can come to a waiver for that rule, but I'm still leaning towards waiting for it to come out for home consumption.

If it wasn't shot in 70mm/IMAX, I wouldn't waste the $ on a theater either.  But I think they said at least 75% of the movie was actually shot in that format

They quit teaching U.S. History in our public school systems and went to only world history it took away the most important piece of education our children could be taught. I am glad my Grand children are all home schooled and taught US history and they know a lot more about how America was built and they have a lot more respect the Flag and the National Anthem and the Constituton than many public school students.........JMHO

12 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

They quit teaching U.S. History in our public school systems and went to only world history it took away the most important piece of education our children could be taught. I am glad my Grand children are all home schooled and taught US history and they know a lot more about how America was built and they have a lot more respect the Flag and the National Anthem and the Constituton than many public school students.........JMHO

True story: I knew a high school graduate that swore that he didn't know anything about The Revolutionary War. When I asked him what he thought the 4th of July celebrated he said, "Fireworks?"

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SWJewellTN said:

True story: I knew a high school graduate that swore that he didn't know anything about The Revolutionary War. When I asked him what he thought the 4th of July celebrated he said, "Fireworks?"

I don't doubt that at all. Children today are not taught what we were taught when we were in school. The reason that they quit teaching U.S. History in public schools was that they declared the text books and teachings to be racist because of the part where the Civil war was discussed and they said is was to depressing for students to learn. It was a very dark part of our nations history but it was a part of it regardless. I agree that it is wrong for 1 man to own another and a great war was faught and thousands of Americans died proving that and I think all young Americans need to learn it..............JMHO 

Just left the theater, that was an extremely good movie.  It was shot in a way like I've never seen another war movie - focused on just surviving a ####ty situation and not on winning a battle.  The dog fights/plane scenes were so big that I don't think a normal theater will do them justice, so if you go see it, check out IMAX for certain.

• Like 3