Why do I need an AK-47?

6 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

Sweet!  How is the finish holding up on yours? Mine is not pretty but it runs great.

Looks like it did when I bought it pretty much.  It's not a G-Tech either that I can tell.  The receiver is parkerized, dust cover blue, the rest Hungarian and US parts.  Nice, classic wood.

Bought it from a long gone store in Knoxville in maybe 2000 or so, don't remember exactly when but it was about the time the Intracs hit the market from what I can tell.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@TGO David, how do you like that MRO? I'm pretty sure that's the next red dot I will purchase. 

I briefly had it mounted on an SBR and it did fine.  I went ahead and put my EOTech XPS2 back on that rifle, though, so it's just been kind of sitting there while I debated what to do next.  The AK came along at the right time. :)

I'll get more range time with it soon and let you know what I think about it after that.  It's a solidly built optic so I am hopeful.

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Looks like it did when I bought it pretty much.  It's not a G-Tech either that I can tell.  The receiver is parkerized, dust cover blue, the rest Hungarian and US parts.  Nice, classic wood.

Bought it from a long gone store in Knoxville in maybe 2000 or so, don't remember exactly when but it was about the time the Intracs hit the market from what I can tell.

Sounds just like mine. I traded for mine about 7 years ago and I am glad I did. It used to bother me that the finishes did not match but I think it just adds to the gun now. 

Sorry for the :hijack:

• 6 months later...

I know, I know... thread resurrection.  I am just curious how this has worked out for you.  I have been arguing with myself about buying one of the MOEKOV PSA AKs and I think I am going to lose the argument.  Are you still as pleased today as you were in August?  My booger hooker is hovering over the buy button just waiting for them to list again with free shipping.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, tacops said:

I know, I know... thread resurrection.  I am just curious how this has worked out for you.  I have been arguing with myself about buying one of the MOEKOV PSA AKs and I think I am going to lose the argument.  Are you still as pleased today as you were in August?  My booger hooker is hovering over the buy button just waiting for them to list again with free shipping.

No regrets yet but I probably have less than 300 rounds through it to-date.  I keep reading horror stories online about the PSA trunions cracking and failing on their AKs but I haven't seen and evidence of that happening on mine yet.

• Like 1

From what I have read, the Gen 2s all have billet trunions which was supposed to have solved that concern.  It seems the first gens had cast trunions.  Again, not first hand knowledge, I read it on the interweb so it must be true. :rolleyes:  I keep hearing good things so I guess if they run them again I will have to hit the button.  Thanks for the update.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tacops said:

From what I have read, the Gen 2s all have billet trunions which was supposed to have solved that concern.  It seems the first gens had cast trunions.  Again, not first hand knowledge, I read it on the interweb so it must be true. :rolleyes:  I keep hearing good things so I guess if they run them again I will have to hit the button.  Thanks for the update.

This is in fact true. The billet trunions are marked with a star stamp on the left side. I picked up a "blem" today for $499 shipped. Hard to beat at that price. Good thing is that if something goes wrong PSA has a lifetime warranty on their guns.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, tacops said:

55 minutes ago, Smith said:

This is in fact true. The billet trunions are marked with a star stamp on the left side. I picked up a "blem" today for $499 shipped. Hard to beat at that price. Good thing is that if something goes wrong PSA has a lifetime warranty on their guns.

Yes that's what I had heard also.  Mine is definitely a billet Gen 2 and has the star stamped on the left side.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tacops said:

I went ahead as a just in case and ordered the 7 PMAGs and Case on the daily deals.  If they don't run the sale again on the AKs I can use them with my WASR.

Good thinking. I have a crap ton of AR mags, not so many for the AK. 

Everybody needs a AK in the stable. 

Using open sights (which is all my AK has) I can hit better with my AK than a AR. The thing is fun to shoot and tough as sledge hammer. I'm not so sure, if the SHTF and I could only take one gun, it wouldn't be the AK.

The AR is like the Corvette, the AK is the Honda, it doesn't have the sex appeal of the AR but can take a lot more punishment and keep on going.