Motorcycle wreck, KNoxville area. No graphic pictures

Hopefully he had on some good gear and didn't get too hurt. And hope the 71 year old woman isn't bad at all

Going too fast though, that's a twisty road with many spots for cross traffic. 

That'll learn him. 

14 hours ago, peejman said:

That the woman turned left in front of the bike and the rider is the one being charged is telling. 

I am wondering, since he was charged, if he was attempting to pass and not going opposite direction which could also explain why the car driver was injured, she was turning left as he was passing so he struck her drivers door. I have no idea and do not know that area at all, just subjective wondering.

Edited by Photoguy67
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Photoguy67 said:

I am wondering, since he was charged, if he was attempting to pass and not going opposite direction which could also explain why the car driver was injured, she was turning left as he was passing so he struck her drivers door. I have no idea and do not know that area at all, just subjective wondering.

I bet you're right. 

11 hours ago, Photoguy67 said:

Don't assume with those peckers out in that part of the state.  When I crashed on the dragon, I was going below the ridiculously low speed limit and the cop wrote me for failure to maintain, careless driving, and traveling on the opposite side of a yellow.  Well, I was actually sliding across the double yellow on my back before falling off the cliff.  Then, to top it off, I was in a medically induced coma at the hospital (with a breathing tube) and he told my ex that I gave him a statement stating I was riding recklessly before the accident (statements of witness contradicted everything he said/did) and that if she didn't sign to accept the ticket that they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest when they woke me up from the coma.

So, as soon as someone brings up police/tickets/motorcycles, I don't make any assumptions because for some ungodly known reason, they have a well-known reputation to lie in that part of the state.

• Like 4

I own a bike, and I throw my leg over it every day scared to death that it might be my last time.

It doesn't stop me.

I have taken courses, and logged thousands of miles. I like to think I ride responsibly, and like driving a car, I do most of the time. But all of us would be a liar so say that we ALWAYS followed ALL the laws ALL the time.

Riding a bike is not like driving a car. Other than the fact of operating a vehicle, they have very little in common. 

Regardless of whose fault it was, or the outcome, it sucks what happened. For both operators.

And with all that said, even for the Harley Haters. They have an ad that states "If you wait to live your dreams, your kids will miss the lesson. Set the example by living yours, today." It is rather poignant as a parent. And a lesson I don't want to lose with my heathen, regardless of the result.

And helmet laws be damned (I live in Kentucky) I wear one. ;)

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Don't assume with those peckers out in that part of the state.  When I crashed on the dragon, I was going below the ridiculously low speed limit and the cop wrote me for failure to maintain, careless driving, and traveling on the opposite side of a yellow.  Well, I was actually sliding across the double yellow on my back before falling off the cliff.  Then, to top it off, I was in a medically induced coma at the hospital (with a breathing tube) and he told my ex that I gave him a statement stating I was riding recklessly before the accident (statements of witness contradicted everything he said/did) and that if she didn't sign to accept the ticket that they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest when they woke me up from the coma.

So, as soon as someone brings up police/tickets/motorcycles, I don't make any assumptions because for some ungodly known reason, they have a well-known reputation to lie in that part of the state.

That is a raw deal! Hope you are back to 100%

11 hours ago, Sam1 said:

I can't really disagree with this. About 10 years ago a culture of persecution came down in this area.  That's one of the reasons why I've gotten away from the sport riding scene.  

The standard assumption is "that idiot on the bike did something wrong".  That's a shame given the millions of tourist dollars brought in by motorcyclists, though I'll also openly concede that many bring it on themselves.  

• Like 3

The way I see it, there are no accidents. None. Every single one of them is caused by some factor be it human, mechanical or environmental. 

I ride. A lot, a real lot and have for over 35 years. 

It is certainly less fun these days with so many bad drivers and a plethora of distractions. All you can do is protect yourself as much as possible and situational awareness is the biggest factor inmo. 

Trust no one, expect them all to take you out. 

I am 100% against the helmet law. Mainly because a mandate creates a false sense of safety and it was forced upon all states by blackmail from the nanny types. 

As with most things that are good for us it is sold to us with lies and deceit. Freedom of choice doesn't mean you can't wear one. 

With this incident, I've assumed the kid in the rocket was pushing the limits because of the charges. However, most collisions involving turns in front of motorcycles are from neglect by the cage driver. 

Trust no one!

Ride safely out there and share the road. 

1 hour ago, Ugly said:

With this incident, I've assumed the kid in the rocket was pushing the limits because of the charges. However, most collisions involving turns in front of motorcycles are from neglect by the cage driver. 

Yep, even when both drivers are at fault, it's almost like the entire incident is thrown at the motorcycle rider.

I rode a lot back in the 70's and 80's and knock on wood I never had an accident but a close friend of mine did get killed by being stupid. He was doing about 90+ MPG on Franklin Road heading to a wedding and a lady stopped in front of him and he had to lay his bike down and he and the bike went completely under the car and stopped right at the cars transmission. Several witnesses said that he had passed them just seconds before the accident and said he was doing very excessive speeds just before he hit her and the accident scene showed that he laid the bike down at least 50 or more feet before making contact with the car. He died before they could get the car off of him. Shortly after that I sold my bike and never got on another one. It had nothing to do with his death. I just kind of lost interest in bikes and sold it to buy a fishing boat. Keith was always doing crazy stuff and every evening when he left work we could hear him going through the gears and each time we could tell he was WOT. His death was not a surprise to anyone. We all knew it was just a matter of time.

Edited by bersaguy

Many years ago, I attended one of the ride around a parking lot to learn how to ride a motorcycle classes.
During the riding portion of the class, I realized being out on the road surrounded by cars, wasn't something I should be doing.