Body camera video released of wrongful arrest over gun in Brownsville TN

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

That has always been the norm if you are a salaried employee and have responsibilities that might fall outside of "normal hours" or sometimes require some effort and possibly some temporary, personal sacrifice.

It just seems a lot more common now...salaried or not.  

As a side note, several have posted how they tell the cop they are armed.  I've never done this and don't plan to start if not required.  The last thing I want during a traffic stop is to get disarmed by someone who may or may not be familiar with the gun I carry (especially since it's usually a single action auto), and the first step to getting disarmed is telling them you are armed.  Sure, they can see that you have a permit if they run your license, but I've been stopped six or seven times since getting a permit and have never once been asked if I had a gun.  Maybe they were in a hurry or maybe they just didn't care, but STFU has been a winning formula so far.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

It just seems a lot more common now...salaried or not.  

What's more common is salaried folks actually being compensated with time off for the extra hours worked.

Many jobs require something extra.

Many people live far beyond their means and need to work the extra hours to pretend to maintain their version of the dream.  

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What's more common is salaried folks actually being compensated with time off for the extra hours worked.

Many jobs require something extra.

Many people live far beyond their means and need to work the extra hours to pretend to maintain their version of the dream.  

Agreed, many do budget with OT in mind, but many others don't have the opportunity to turn down the OT, whether they need it or not.  

I wish they did the time off for long salaried hours thing where I work.

Edited by deerslayer

There are all kinds of cops like in any other profession.  I have known good and bad in a lot of places.

My Papaw was a deputy and was loved by coworkers and prisoners alike for treating people like humans. More than once a former prisoner showed up to thank him and offer to do chores for him.

On the other hand, my uncle was a patrolman in another city. He would show up in full uniform, including State Trooper style glasses at family gatherings...on his day off. He said he needed a pocket recorder because "people always lied about him harassing them." He was an royal  a$$hole to everyone. He had a power trip about it like I bet these guys did.

If you do it for the right reasons you will be happy doing it. Otherwise, no matter the pay,  move on. 

Nothing justifies you torturing someone that you have clearly restrained. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I wish they did the time off for long salaried hours thing where I work.

You and me both, but my employer uses salary employees to make a bigger profit. What does he care about my family time, he just wants more cash to pad his account.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 6:54 PM, deerslayer said:

As a side note, several have posted how they tell the cop they are armed. 

I was stopped by the Memphis airport police about 4:45am Sunday morning for speeding..  As the officer approached my truck I had both my DL and gun permit ready for him.   He ask why I was speeding and nicely and professionally gave me a talking to.   He took both DL and permit..as he took them I said  no guns are in the truck and that they were at home.   I was told by the instructor of the permit  class who was a deputy sheriff that most of the police  will give a warning if you hand over your permit with your DL.....The officer took them both and said he was only going to give me a warning.......He came back with the warning and said he hoped the rest of my day went better......He never said a word about a gun.