Speeding tickets in Tennessee?

Last week Tennessee took part in the “Southern Shield” speeding enforcement campaign. Rutherford County put up one of the electronic signs on 231 as you head south out of Murfreesboro. It had a bunch of information going across it and I thought it said the minimum speeding fine was $291 (I went by too fast to read all of it). That’s sound pretty high; is that right? I asked some people at work and they said “it depends on who gets you”. Why would that matter? Anyone know what the speeding fines are on state highways?

The cost of violations have been going up and up. The last time I ran a stop sign, about 15 years ago, it cost me $115 to pay it or if I went to court and lost it would be close to $200. I remember the first ticket I ever wrote was for failure to stop and it was a $10 fine. Boy have prices went up.

Had an acquaintance who was doing like 15 over in a construction zone and his ticket was really close to $500.

Here are the fines for Knoxville.

http://www.knoxvilletn.gov/government/city_departments_offices/city_court/citation_fine_amounts

And Chattanooga

http://www.chattanooga.gov/city-court/dockets-and-fines/fine-listing

There is some difference. If you get a citation from say a trooper or a deputy all their citations go through a general sessions court which is why it is higher. I know my city citations top out at like $109. That includes everything even if you went to court and lost no additional cost. 

Yep, WHO gets you is as important as how fast or where.  I got one for 11 over (staying with the flow of traffic) on I 24 from a THP officer in 2003 and it was $283 all said and done. I got a bunch from Metro cops from 2001-2005 when I was in college in the ghetto and you'd get pulled over for just a few over. $50 every time.  I think the Metro tickets have gone up since then, but thankfully I'm not down that way much any more. 

13 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

If safety is the issue, then texting not speeding should be the issue to address.  An inattentive driver using his phone is much more of a danger than a driver going a few miles over the limit.

Texting is an enormous problem and I agree it’s more dangerous than a few MPH over the limit. Many are claiming it takes more lives than DUI; I have no way of knowing that, but it’s what I’ve read. Enforcement is tough. Unless they see you there is no way (right now) to enforce it. I suspect technology will change that in the coming years.

I suspect the other part of the problem with enforcement is that many people who make (and enforce) the laws text while driving.

It's all about the money!!! Last ticket I got was back in 1992 in Watertown Tennessee at 3AM. I was on my way to Center Hill lake to fish a tournament pulling my boat. Speed limit was 35 and I was clocked at 58 according to the Water Town LEO. He asked me where the fire was and I said no fire, just a tournament. After he finished writing the ticket and I signed it he said good luck at the tournament and nice boat.

I remember the ticket when I got home so dug it out and read what the fine was and it said my fine would be $58.00 if I mail it in. Well since it would mean a 200 miles round trip to go to court so I was getting ready to just pay it and in really very very small print at the bottom of the ticket it said No Checks. Well, I thought about it for a day or two and then sat down, wrote a check and mailed it. 6 days later my check cleared my bank.  Never heard another word out of them. Like I said, it's all about the money. They got their money and were happy.

As far as going to court and paying court costs those are fees that pay the judge for his time and the clerks for their time and the floor sweeper for his time and so on and so forth.

I got a photo ticket on Chapman Highway at Walmart about a year ago.

I wasn't paying attention to the stale green and was in the point of no return.

$50? Paid on line

About 3 years ago I got one in my company car (oops) and went to court in Knox County, $200 ish, brought cash.

Full disclosure: I was speeding not maybe, within the 5 mile buffer, high rate of speed in the left hand lane. Late to a meeting, ended up being very late.

All us occasional law breakers were given the choice to plead guilty to the DA, if the DA recommended non adjudication and costs only, the judge would accept the offer and we were free.

DA verbally and visually verified I was a citizen in good standing and recommended non adjudication.

Judge: sir, you understand you are pleading guilty (and I am accepting the DA's recommendation)

Yes sir, and thank you.

Costs were equivalent to ticket fine.

Now I stay way under the radar and rarely exceed the posted speed limit.

In part, considerations for determining speed limits https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assured_Clear_Distance_Ahead#ACDA_Rule_specific_case_generalized_to_the_Basic_Speed_Law

Edited by Gotthegoods

LOL! Prolly shouldn't, but....

Couple months ago on my way home from work (noonish), the traffic on I40 was typical. For some reason folks here don't understand the purpose of the "passing" lane, which is rather infuriating, so.... I slipped over a couple to the right, punched it, and saw the guy as I was moving over (sweeeeet looking undercover white Charger, but I'd digress). Blue's came on, safely over to the shoulder I went. Car in park, keys on the dashboard, windows all rolled down. Gentleman was from the sheriff's dept. working interdiction looking for drugs, etc.

Pleasant exchange, paperwork was all in order, I received a written warning for 85 in a 55, have a nice day.

GOD BLESS TENNESSEE!!!! :cheers:

- K

Gotta pay for those multi-million dollar city halls!

I'd be interested to know if they are jacking up fines for specific events/days.  That should be illegal.

Edited by Sam1
9 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

Gotta pay for those multi-million dollar city halls!

I'd be interested to know if they are jacking up fines for specific events/days.  That should be illegal.

I suspect that they are increasing them for a couple reasons, 2 which I totally agree with. 1 is the move over law when you are approaching an emergency vehicle working on the shoulder you do need to slowand move over and #2 is speeding in construction zones when workers are present. Many have been hurt or killed by people both failing to move over or speeding in construction zones.

As far as the rest of the high fines, That is just the Judges and clerks doing what all politicians do. They are writing them selves a raise in pay!!!!!.............:mad: 

Well, I can agree with a zero tolerance policy because the law is the law.  But if they are jacking up prices for a special event (for lack of a better term), that is not right.

Edited by Sam1

I got a ticket in Orlando FL for about 5-6mph over the limit around Mickey Mouse house.  I was rolling with the flow of traffic but I had out of state tags.  I asked the FHP why me when I was rolling with the flow of traffic, he said the out of state tags, won't contest it.  Little did he know that I had "just" moved down to Orlando, so I took the time to contest it.  I won, FHP guy was ticked when I told the judge what he said.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

I got a ticket in Orlando FL for about 5-6mph over the limit around Mickey Mouse house.  I was rolling with the flow of traffic but I had out of state tags.  I asked the FHP why me when I was rolling with the flow of traffic, he said the out of state tags, won't contest it.  Little did he know that I had "just" moved down to Orlando, so I took the time to contest it.  I won, FHP guy was ticked when I told the judge what he said.

Not denying your story but how can the cop get ticketed by the judge? My wife got an expensive ticket in Winter Garden when we were living in Clermont. They didn't cut her any break.

11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Not denying your story but how can the cop get ticketed by the judge? My wife got an expensive ticket in Winter Garden when we were living in Clermont. They didn't cut her any break.

Not ticketed, ticked as in upset. 

1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

I would be willing to bet the FHP got held after class and got a learning experience probably. Judges sometimes don't like LEO's with smart mouths, expecially in a tourist towns! .............JMHO

No tickets here (Knocks on wood)

but those cameras make me wonder. One was installed in a city I used to live in at a light by he house and shortly thereafter the light was shortened considerably. I've watched it flash on green lights too. 

I called the city and they never checked the light timing, guess they timed the camera though. Personally if I get a camera ticket I'll fight it. They are big brother money makers.

I'm surprised that they haven't caught on to what Germany does and set up portable cameras. I've see them camouflaged in vans, on bridges catching speeders on the autobahn and propped up in various places. 

4 hours ago, Ugly said:

No tickets here (Knocks on wood)

but those cameras make me wonder. One was installed in a city I used to live in at a light by he house and shortly thereafter the light was shortened considerably. I've watched it flash on green lights too. 

I called the city and they never checked the light timing, guess they timed the camera though. Personally if I get a camera ticket I'll fight it. They are big brother money makers.

I'm surprised that they haven't caught on to what Germany does and set up portable cameras. I've see them camouflaged in vans, on bridges catching speeders on the autobahn and propped up in various places. 

Good luck with that.  Most camera tickets have no means in place to contest them.  You pay the fine or lose your license.  You are automatically quilty if you get one.

Seems like they turned off a bunch of light cameras up here after the news started putting out who got how much money and how they did not even have a cop reviewing the footage. 

Pretty much are just cash machines for the city or county.