Chicago buyback gun turns up at scene of police shooting

Erik88

This is rich. 

"The Chicago Police Department has opened an internal affairs investigation after a gun handed in during a turn-in event in 2004 wound up lying next to a Latin Counts gang member eight years later in the suburbs after he was shot dead by a cop."

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-chicago-polices-missing-buyback-gun-points-to-inside-job/

http://www.guns.com/2017/08/02/chicago-buyback-gun-turns-up-at-scene-of-police-involved-shooting-years-later/

"Whether the gun belonged to the young man or was planted by the Cicero cop seems to be a matter of dispute, but what is clear is that the gun once was in the custody of the Chicago Police — and it was supposed to have been destroyed."

Just now, Ronald_55 said:

I say string up the judge for turning the S&W in for  $100 gift card. And it was his Dad's gun......

That was probably the biggest tragedy in the entire story. What an idiot. 

What's your money on, someone inside the department selling these guns or did the officer plant it at the scene?

Just now, Erik88 said:

That was probably the biggest tragedy in the entire story. What an idiot. 

What's your money on, someone inside the department selling these guns or did the officer plant it at the scene?

It could be both. Maybe someone in charge of the buy back sold some of the guns and this officer bought one and used it to plant. You would think he would be smart enough to know not to plant it if he knew it was a recorded serial number from the buy back. And it looks in good condition for that many years, not like it has passed around gangland for years.

I have heard horror stories of the buy-backs. Street sweeper shotguns, German Lugers, Colt Pythons, AKs, and mint condition military rifles all getting turned in for a $100 or $50 gift card. Next one they have, I need to show up with a wad of cash in the parking lot. Or set up a table giving out cards worth twice as much....I bet you would still clean up. LOL

52 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

It could be both. Maybe someone in charge of the buy back sold some of the guns and this officer bought one and used it to plant. You would think he would be smart enough to know not to plant it if he knew it was a recorded serial number from the buy back. And it looks in good condition for that many years, not like it has passed around gangland for years.

I have heard horror stories of the buy-backs. Street sweeper shotguns, German Lugers, Colt Pythons, AKs, and mint condition military rifles all getting turned in for a $100 or $50 gift card. Next one they have, I need to show up with a wad of cash in the parking lot. Or set up a table giving out cards worth twice as much....I bet you would still clean up. LOL

If you did that in Chicago you would be arrested when you bought the first gun........just saying!!!!! If Chicago did the buy back how did the gun get into the hands of a Ciscerio Cop since that is only a suberb of Chicago and not Chicago. I would say the gun was a plant but that is JMHO. I mean a street gang guy riding on a bicycle aiming at a LEO in a car when shot by a second LEO???? Does that not raise a red flag or two?? 

How do they know that the gun was turned in by the judge?...i thought those buybacks were anonymous.  Do they record your name and the SNs of the guns that you turn in? 

Anyway, my bet is that some of those guns get sold out of the back door of the station.

Edited by i1afli
22 hours ago, bersaguy said:

If you did that in Chicago you would be arrested when you bought the first gun........just saying!!!!! If Chicago did the buy back how did the gun get into the hands of a Ciscerio Cop since that is only a suberb of Chicago and not Chicago. I would say the gun was a plant but that is JMHO. I mean a street gang guy riding on a bicycle aiming at a LEO in a car when shot by a second LEO???? Does that not raise a red flag or two?? 

Well out of TN, I would need a local face to do the buys. Here in TN, I would be fine. I just want to see the non-junk stuff end up with someone who appreciates it.

Yeah lots of flags considering the shooting officer's record of issues.