Car and truck Insurance??

I have noticed the last 3 times I got my Jeep insurance it has increased as much as $35.00 per 6 month period. I contacted my insurance agent and all she said was is was an across the board increase for everyone and I said 3 times in a row. I have my renters ins, boat ins and Jeep with them. She said I am getting multi policy discount and my Jeep is the only thing increasing. I told her I may start shopping other companies and she ask me to come in next week and she would see what we could come up with. Is anyone else having these issues with the insurance company?

Yep.  I had to "negotiate" with my insurance company on the auto policy earlier this year.  Apparently everyone in TN is getting jacked this year due to the trash that drives w/o insurance and causes the most problems.

Regardless, insurance companies are a bunch of damn greedy bastards.

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for the premiums to go up every renewal, that's why I try for annual premiums/renewals as it give them fewer opportunities to raise premiums.  I shop around on a periodic basis, but most of the time I would only save $25-50 bucks over a yr, and sometimes you could end up with less coverage by switching companies because each companies policy and coverages vary slightly or a lot.  

not sure who you use for insurance, but I would recommend calling Zander insurance.  I heard about them on Dave Ramsey's show a couple of years ago and never thought they could actually save that much money.  Turns out they got me slightly better homeowner's coverage for literally 50% of what I was paying, and auto insurance for both vehicles at over 30% less than I was paying, for more coverage.

They basically shop around at a bunch of different places for you so you don't have to do anything, and send you documents explaining the top three plans they find so you can compare them easily.  The ones they sent me were reputable places and had an AM Best rating of A

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

After several decades with State Farm, I dropped my costs with USAA.  It seems the longer you keep an insurance company or other service, the more they want to increase prices.  

SF sucks, my mom worked for them 19yrs 11 months and they let her go so they didn't have to pay her pension 

Been with Usaa for 20yrs insurance and CC, happy customer

I had an independent agent before I moved to TN, for 46 years. He handled multiple companies and every so often he would tell me he was shifting my insurance to a different company to save me some money. He also wrote some short term policies when I needed them for a few days to a week to move a car and always said to let him know if I had a claim by a certain day. If I didn't need the insurance he would rip up the paperwork without filing so there was no charge. He showed me my file when I stopped in to see him one last time, it was about 6 inches thick. In 46 years I only had his Dad and him as agents, my new company changed agents on me 3 times the first year.

My first choice when we moved was to find another independent because of their flexibility. After talking to several I discovered none of the small companies that independence sell would cover a house that couldn't be seen from the road or a certain number of neighbors. Strange rule that the old agent said he had never ran into. Ended up going with Farm Bureau. I compared their rates with a couple of others and they were competitive but not as cheap as the independent that couldn't write the house and cars as one policy because of the house location.

Legally mandated scam!

notice how the price never goes down as your vehicles age and become less valuable? 

Add rate increases and our genius governors largest tax break in TN history which added $5 more per vehicle in rate hikes. And don't forget the other sorry geniuses that run the county and thought that doubling the "wheel tax" would be good for their mismanagement ways and it's getting pretty expensive. 

I register 3 bikes and a truck. They have successfully stifled my desire to add one more bike and I actually took one off the road. 

In fact they are making me consider moving as well. The future doesn't look good with economic management like that. 

Back to insurance, We are paying for those that aren't responsible enough to control themselves and get into unnecessary wrecks. 

I'm going in to see what my agent has to say before I look at changing. I will stay with them this time while I shop around. She called me Yesterday to see if I was coming in and while she had me on the phone she said she wanted to add that everyones auto insurance is going up because of " ya''ll Ready for this. They are going up because of the rearview cameras located in the back so folks don't have to turn and look behind them when backing up. I said my 1996 Jeep does not have 1 of those and she said no but you might hit a car that does. I'm sure ou talk is not going to change my mine about staying with them if that is the reason my rates are going up plus they won't let me pay by the year but only 6 months is another reason I am looking now. Thanks for the responses.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I'm going in to see what my agent has to say before I look at changing. I will stay with them this time while I shop around. She called me Yesterday to see if I was coming in and while she had me on the phone she said she wanted to add that everyones auto insurance is going up because of " ya''ll Ready for this. They are going up because of the rearview cameras located in the back so folks don't have to turn and look behind them when backing up. I said my 1996 Jeep does not have 1 of those and she said no but you might hit a car that does. I'm sure ou talk is not going to change my mine about staying with them if that is the reason my rates are going up plus they won't let me pay by the year but only 6 months is another reason I am looking now. Thanks for the responses.

Give Zander insurance a call, they will do the shopping for you & you would have an idea of what is available before you speak to your agent.  I will never get sucked into staying with the same insurance company for no reason, ever again.  Just as everyone says, it seems like the longer you stay, the higher it goes.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ugly said:

Legally mandated scam!

notice how the price never goes down as your vehicles age and become less valuable? 

Add rate increases and our genius governors largest tax break in TN history which added $5 more per vehicle in rate hikes. And don't forget the other sorry geniuses that run the county and thought that doubling the "wheel tax" would be good for their mismanagement ways and it's getting pretty expensive. 

I register 3 bikes and a truck. They have successfully stifled my desire to add one more bike and I actually took one off the road. 

In fact they are making me consider moving as well. The future doesn't look good with economic management like that. 

Back to insurance, We are paying for those that aren't responsible enough to control themselves and get into unnecessary wrecks. 

You're thinking about moving because of a $5 tag increase??!!?

Tennessee is among the lowest overall taxed states in the nation.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Yes it is!  Anyone moving from KY to TN will give an amen to this.  When I first moved, I was able to get insurance for both cars & a motorcycle for the same monthly price I was paying for one of the cars in KY.  Same cars, no changes, even the same insurance provider, except the residence changed from KY to TN.

• Like 2

Hehe, Oh, Tennessee regs and ins... How I miss you.

Stagger your fleet so you don't have to pay regs for six vehicles at once? Not in Kentucky. Your birthday is in July, ALL of them are due in July. Oh, and lets go ahead an add a property tax to each vehicle as well. Oh, you sold that vehicle two years ago and the new owner never registered it, you better pay those taxes too, or we won't allow you to renew ANYTHING. Guess homeboy will be pissed as hell when he finds out that I 'junked' that title.

I used to complain when I paid ~90 a year, per vehicle regs in Knoxville. Kentucky I am dropping between $150 and $200 a year, per vehicle.

Then there is the fact that my auto insurance has more than doubled. Same vehicles, the day I moved my insurance went from $90 a month in Tennessee to $205 a month. Even with good credit.

As it sits now, we shop our insurance out every year. I pay my motorcycle insurance by the year. $300. My Celica is an antique and I have been through several policies that refuse to allow her any status, even though she sits in my garage and sees <100mi a year. We went independent this year. Home, auto, bike. We are saving over $1500 a year compared to our last policy. I think we have Progressive for the bike and AAA for home and auto. With considerably more coverage that we did with Allstate or Geico before them.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

Hehe, Oh, Tennessee regs and ins... How I miss you.

Stagger your fleet so you don't have to pay regs for six vehicles at once? Not in Kentucky. Your birthday is in July, ALL of them are due in July. Oh, and lets go ahead an add a property tax to each vehicle as well. Oh, you sold that vehicle two years ago and the new owner never registered it, you better pay those taxes too, or we won't allow you to renew ANYTHING. Guess homeboy will be pissed as hell when he finds out that I 'junked' that title.

I used to complain when I paid ~90 a year, per vehicle regs in Knoxville. Kentucky I am dropping between $150 and $200 a year, per vehicle.

Then there is the fact that my auto insurance has more than doubled. Same vehicles, the day I moved my insurance went from $90 a month in Tennessee to $205 a month. Even with good credit.

As it sits now, we shop our insurance out every year. I pay my motorcycle insurance by the year. $300. My Celica is an antique and I have been through several policies that refuse to allow her any status, even though she sits in my garage and sees <100mi a year. We went independent this year. Home, auto, bike. We are saving over $1500 a year compared to our last policy. I think we have Progressive for the bike and AAA for home and auto. With considerably more coverage that we did with Allstate or Geico before them.

Teach you to move to KY. LoL There is as reason there is as lube named after it.... I spent too much time in that state working. It would take the end of th e world to make me move there. Off-topic, I know.

I have looked at other insurance companies, but have never found as much better price for the same coverage. That is unless I go with one of the cut rate internet places. I have had a few house and car claims in the last 10 years and my insurance has been nothing but accommodating to get things fixed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Not because the extra $5 per vehicle a year, but also have an extra  $120 a year for the fleet on top of what it used to be. 

The doubled wheel tax hasn't made a dent in our deficit so the promise of no property tax increase will soon be broken. 

If I lived in the county next to mine i'd save $240 just on the tax. 

Personally I don't see the mismanagement of my countys finances changing any time soon. 

So yes, I would consider moving to a place that is better managed. 

I agree TN is over all cheaper than many other states. But we are likely to get another rino as governor and im sure they will continue the liberal policies that make conservatives cringe. 

Edited by Ugly
55 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Not because the extra $5 per vehicle a year, but also have an extra  $120 a year for the fleet on top of what it used to be. 

The doubled wheel tax hasn't made a dent in our deficit so the promise of no property tax increase will soon be broken. 

If I lived in the county next to mine i'd save $240 just on the tax. 

Personally I don't see the mismanagement of my countys finances changing any time soon. 

So yes, I would consider moving to a place that is better managed. 

I agree TN is over all cheaper than many other states. But we are likely to get another rino as governor and im sure they will continue the liberal policies that make conservatives cringe. 

So, where do you intend to go?

3 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

Oh, you sold that vehicle two years ago and the new owner never registered it, you better pay those taxes too, or we won't allow you to renew ANYTHING. Guess homeboy will be pissed as hell when he finds out that I 'junked' that title.

Glad I'm not the only one that happened to... and mine was traded into a damn dealer!

7 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Give Zander insurance a call, they will do the shopping for you & you would have an idea of what is available before you speak to your agent.  I will never get sucked into staying with the same insurance company for no reason, ever again.  Just as everyone says, it seems like the longer you stay, the higher it goes.

Had to go see my son today and drop my Jeep off with him to be fixed. Had a wiring fire in the steering wheel area and ignition switch area. I asked him about his insurance. He owns one of those SUV's with a camera and he said his went up because he had one. He told his agent that if it gets hit the other person would be responsible wouldn't they and she said not necessarily. He also asked her if he should not get a discount for the auto braking system my vehicle has to stop me from hitting a car in front of me and she said, Oh, Your SUV has that and his rate went up 5% on the spot because she said it has been proven that many people that have that on their vehicles are not as attentive as they use to be because they depend on it to much. He told his agent he will be changing next time it comes up for renewal.  The insurance Companies are using all these fancy new gadgets to drive rates up and not down..............:mad:

32 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Had to go see my son today and drop my Jeep off with him to be fixed. Had a wiring fire in the steering wheel area and ignition switch area. I asked him about his insurance. He owns one of those SUV's with a camera and he said his went up because he had one. He told his agent that if it gets hit the other person would be responsible wouldn't they and she said not necessarily. He also asked her if he should not get a discount for the auto braking system my vehicle has to stop me from hitting a car in front of me and she said, Oh, Your SUV has that and his rate went up 5% on the spot because she said it has been proven that many people that have that on their vehicles are not as attentive as they use to be because they depend on it to much. He told his agent he will be changing next time it comes up for renewal.  The insurance Companies are using all these fancy new gadgets to drive rates up and not down..............:mad:

What they really are thinking is that car would be more expensive to repair/replace I bet. They can't say that though.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

What they really are thinking is that car would be more expensive to repair/replace I bet. They can't say that though.

Well, looks like I am staying with State Farm for now. I just got 11 quotes from 11 companies from Zander that someone recomended I try. State Farm has even their lowest company beat. And none of them offered marine boat insurance so staying trapped where I am for now................:wall:

• Like 1