advice on a decent 9mm

john455

Ok, here's the question, I am looking for a decent 9mm to buy for my Brother in-law. Last year for Christmas I paid to get him his CCW for his present, and he went to a pawn shop and bought a little Jennings .380 for a carry weapon SMH, now let me preface this by telling you he is CHEAP!!!!!! He got the Jennings because it only cost him $50 and imho he got ripped off. Out of a 8 round mag this thing will jam at least twice every time. I have tried and tried to get him to upgrade but he wont spend the money for anything better. He works in Hvac and is always going to peoples houses and such so my wife worries constantly that that POS paperweight he carries is going to fail him one day when he needs it. So she has begged, bartered, and threatened me into agreeing to buy him a decent 9mm for his birthday next month. 

Now I don't want to spend a lot of money on this weapon, mainly because I've seen the way he treats the one he has and it makes me cringe every time. It has to be small enough that he can conceal it easily while crawling under houses and such and I'd say my price limit would be around $300, and I would prefer all metal, again he is rough on his and I'm not sure Tupperware would hold up. O and he wont own anything that doesn't have a manual safety, His words when I was trying to talk him into a Glock or S&W.

Any suggestions would be appreciated   

So is a semi-auto a requirement? You might open up to a .38 revolver and you have a lot more to pick from.

The Taurus Model 85 .38 runs $329 at Cabela's and has a $40 rebate right now. The model 605 is a .357 for $350, but no rebate.

Just a thought. You can't get more "manual safety" than a revolver.

Edited by Ronald_55
31 minutes ago, chances R said:

SCCY CPX 1 with safety, CPX2 without.  Should be able to get one out-the-door for $225.  Good shooter, small, 10 +1 capacity.  

I'll second the SCCY. They are actually good little guns and reasonably durable...but if he doesn't  practice with it the small safety could be an issue. 

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Since he likes his Jennings, I have a Rohm Rg-10 that I could be persuaded to part with for $300   :D

It's all steel. Well, it's some kind of metal anyway. The safety is that it only sometimes works, and when it does, it will safely NOT hit what you're aiming at. My dad bought it when he was a broke college student back in the 1970s. We all laugh about it now. I know it's worthless, but even if I was offered money for it, I'd never get rid of it. It's kind of the dirty Santa gift of family heirlooms around here. My dad and I had it out at Stones River range one day just for laughs and the guy in the lane next to us asked us to stop firing it because it was shaving so much lead off the bullets and spraying it into his shooting bay. What a piece of crap.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Since he likes his Jennings, I have a Rohm Rg-10 that I could be persuaded to part with for $300   :D

It's all steel. Well, it's some kind of metal anyway. The safety is that it only sometimes works, and when it does, it will safely NOT hit what you're aiming at. My dad bought it when he was a broke college student back in the 1970s. We all laugh about it now. I know it's worthless, but even if I was offered money for it, I'd never get rid of it. It's kind of the dirty Santa gift of family heirlooms around here. My dad and I had it out at Stones River range one day just for laughs and the guy in the lane next to us asked us to stop firing it because it was shaving so much lead off the bullets and spraying it into his shooting bay. What a piece of crap.

I have one too. Traded a guy some crap com spec Ar handguards (I got for free) and $20 for it. The barrel wiggles, but it does go pew every time. Mine is .22 Short only. Kinda got it just to have an example of one of the worst guns. Plus you never kbow when someone might break in, grab it, and I have to shoot them to save my own life......

4 hours ago, nightrunner said:

S&W 3913 or similar 3rd gen.

A person would need to offer me much more than $300 in order to part with my 3913.  It is by far one of my most favorite handguns.

But I would agree that a current Taurus PT111 2nd gen 9mm would fit the bill. I picked up one of these about a year ago. I'll admit I was impressed

with this pistol, considering that I purchased it new for around $220.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

Harvey's in Knoxville is selling these in black, right now for $189+ tax and BGC.  You will not find a better deal on the market!

I would bet Harvey's would make the same deal on a SCCY.  Taurus has had some QC issues, plus SCCY CS is tops.  Add that they will soon be a local E TN company, that is if he wants a polymer pistol.

14 minutes ago, chances R said:

I would bet Harvey's would make the same deal on a SCCY.  Taurus has had some QC issues, plus SCCY CS is tops.  Add that they will soon be a local E TN company, that is if he wants a polymer pistol.

When are they slated to be here?

9 minutes ago, chances R said:

SCCY (SKKY) had their issues early on with the CPX-1.  Taurus seems to have solved their QC issues with this newest generation of pistols.  The Millennium G2 is a very good pistol. The one complaint I had with mine is the trigger pull is a bit long.