advice on a decent 9mm

john455

58 minutes ago, chances R said:

I would bet Harvey's would make the same deal on a SCCY.  Taurus has had some QC issues, plus SCCY CS is tops.  Add that they will soon be a local E TN company, that is if he wants a polymer pistol.

I was in Harvey's Friday afternoon.  They had a bunch of SCCY's in ever color of the rainbow.  I believe they were marked $219.99 or $229.99.

Saw this on ArmsList today. Not too far from you. Just in case you want to skip the BGC and tax cost.

For Sale: New in box Taurus pt111 G2 9mm

$ 200

I have a brand new Taurus pt111 G2 9mm pistol for sale. Comes with 2 mags with ammo in them. I have papers where I bought it a few weeks ago. Hasn't even been fired. $200 FIRM Need gone today. SIO. Call or text 423-557-8080

Kingsport, Tri-cities, Tennessee

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7175240/tri-cities-tn-handguns-for-sale--new-in-box-taurus-pt111-g2-9mm

On 8/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, peejman said:

M&P Shields are around $300.

But honestly, if he doesn't care, you're wasting your money. $300 would be better spent on training. 

I fully agree with this right here. If you absolutely HAVE to get him anything at all, get the most inexpensive thing you can find that will at least work for the three rounds he's ever going to shoot. 

But honestly, if he's that bull headed and willfully ignorant, you are wasting not only your money, but your time as well. I don't know the guy, and he may be a good person otherwise, but I do know people with that mentality who are the bottom feeders that will show up at your house if the cow patties ever do get caught up in the windstorm wondering why you won't give him a gun. 

Not to be disparaging in my last post by the way, but that's just the reality of the time we live in. A cheap-as-possible handgun to help someone who won't help themselves, or at least a half case of high quality defensive handgun ammo for you.

I guess you could always get him a backup Jennings for his Jennings. :)

Edited by res308
19 hours ago, res308 said:

Not to be disparaging in my last post by the way, but that's just the reality of the time we live in. A cheap-as-possible handgun to help someone who won't help themselves, or at least a half case of high quality defensive handgun ammo for you.

I guess you could always get him a backup Jennings for his Jennings. :)

O I agree, but he is the wife's brother, and she has been badgering me for a while to get him something reliable. It is a her piece of mind thing, she's happy I'm happy lol. He is just one of those guys that wont turn loose of a buck unless he absolutely has to, real good guy, just refuses to believe that if push comes to shove he would be better off throwing that POS he carries at the BG and running away. The wife and I have both tried to talk him into an upgrade but he about had a heart attack over spending $300-$500 on a decent carry gun lol So after around 6 months of Nancy begging, bartering, and nagging, I gave in and agreed to get him one for his birthday next month.

56 minutes ago, john455 said:

O I agree, but he is the wife's brother, and she has been badgering me for a while to get him something reliable. It is a her piece of mind thing, she's happy I'm happy lol. He is just one of those guys that wont turn loose of a buck unless he absolutely has to, real good guy, just refuses to believe that if push comes to shove he would be better off throwing that POS he carries at the BG and running away. The wife and I have both tried to talk him into an upgrade but he about had a heart attack over spending $300-$500 on a decent carry gun lol So after around 6 months of Nancy begging, bartering, and nagging, I gave in and agreed to get him one for his birthday next month.

Honestly, $300 is the bare minimum for a reliable, trustworthy 9mm handgun BEFORE taxes, TICS, transfer fees or shipping if shopping online.  If you are that concerned about him having a peice just give him the cash and let him figure it out. 

Some people you just can't reach and setting hard numbers doesn't work.  

He needs to buy what he wants. This is almost like a "what should I buy my wife and make her carry it" thing. :lol:

Disagree with your $300 price point.  There are a lot of people that aren't gun people that simply want a decent gun but don't want to tie a lot of money up to lay on a shelf or stuff in the sock drawer.  We all agree training is important but the reality is that same people won't spend a dime on training either.  Heck, they won't even buy a box of quality SD ammo.  I hate to sound like a Rep for SCCY but those people are the ones that show up for carry classes and that is why I bought one just to wring out. Honestly the more I shoot it the more I like it.  I like it enough that I have bought several for family and friends for Christmas.  I wouldn't if I thought they were unreliable or junk. They can be had for around $200.

Does it have to be a 9mm?  If he is comfortable with a .380 that may or may not work then a good .380 that would work would certainly be an upgrade.  Going to .380 would also open up more options for guns that are easy to conceal, etc.

Also, off topic, where is this 'Harvey's' of which so many of you speak?

14 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

http://harveyspistolandpawn.com/

5305 Clinton Plaza Dr
Knoxville, TN 37912

Well if the redhead in the black shirt in the opening pic works there, then I see why you might visit a bunch.... :devil:

I think they wanted to make the place look busy in the one pic, but it just make it look crowded and hard to get into. 

I may have to stop by if I can get down that way with some time.

Well if the redhead in the black shirt in the opening pic works there, then I see why you might visit a bunch.... default_devil.gif
I think they wanted to make the place look busy in the one pic, but it just make it look crowded and hard to get into. 
I may have to stop by if I can get down that way with some time.
I never been in Harvey's when there wasn't least 3 or 4 people in there at a given time. If you don't like crowds never go on Saturday.

The reason is they have great prices, hard to find items and layaway 10% down, 10% a month for 10 months. They call it the "Marriage Saver".

Example: a new Taurus 738 .380 for $145 + tax and BGC today.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

http://harveyspistolandpawn.com/

5305 Clinton Plaza Dr
Knoxville, TN 37912

I used Harvey for transfers for a couple years or so, was only 15 clams, then he decided he really didn't want that biz and jumped to 45 or more.

I definitely am interested in a 1911 Glock though, he must have exclusive deal or something:

glocks.jpg.01968aa55f01e7f0295b61bfe644d389.jpg

I'm also really impressed that he speaks classic Latin! :

latin.jpg.f844f43e54cf80884db59dc2d7ceeaf0.jpg

(yes, I know it's template "filler" :))

- OS

According to Google Translate, that says:

Maecenas is no need for ecological Laoreet smile. Even with arrows and a large television, a ultricies free employee. Boat pull, lorem weekend or the keyboard, rather than manufacturing the Playstation or soft diameter Class salad. It was the largest football. In fact, from the consumer id ultricies pellentesque.

Something tells me that's not exactly right.