Do You Still Own Your First Gun?

btq96r

Do You Still Own Your First Gun?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Still Own Your First Gun?

• Yes
    • No

Question and poll are self-explanatory...but I thought this would be a good thread to discuss in detail.

My first gun was a Walther P99 in .40 S&W (don't judge, it was a phase) that I bought a bit over 13 years ago.  Doesn't get carried anymore, and rarely makes a trip to the range.  Many times I have considered putting it up for sale to fund something better, or sexier...only to hold off.  Something in me won't let that gun go up for sale.  Honestly I haven't sold any of my guns, but some others have come a lot closer than my first ever have.  Can't see myself coming off it unless an emergency came to pass and I needed funds quick.

But how about the rest of you?  Are you as sentimental as I seem to be here, or did you pass through your first gun a long time ago?

My first gun was a .22 target pistol, don't remember what kind and sold it a long time ago lol The only pistol I am sentimental about is my dads old S&W .38 that never leaves the safe and will be passed down to my son one day

My first gun was a H&R single shot .20 ga. that my father bought for me when I was 8, I still remember going to Kmart to buy it.

When I was around 11 it was stolen from our home.

Fast forward 8 years, I get a call from the Anderson County Sheriffs Office saying that they have recovered a firearm that belongs to me.  

I'm glad it made its way back home.

• Like 4

No name Brazil made .410 single shot shotgun. My Papaw gave it to me to squirrel hunt. Still at my Dad's, but I still have it. Would be hard for me to give it up.

That said. I have every gun I have ever had. Just a thing with me.

Edited by Ronald_55

Iver Johnson L'il Champ. Single shot bolt action .22. In one of maybe ten memories I have of my father, I was about five and he took me to a gunshow. He taught me how to hold it, to point in a safe direction, then bought it for me. My mother was staunchly anti-gun. To the point of any toy gun I brought home vanishing. I can't honestly say I was ever allowed to shoot it.

I gave it to my daughter and started her shooting it when she was four. For those that don't know the rest of that story she is eleven (next month) and has a deep stack of trophies from her shooting sports.

I am not sure I still have the rifle for sentimental reasons, it shoots very poorly, and was not taken care of at all for the first half of my life when it couldn't touch it. But I have it all the same.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 2

I've got all of the guns I've bought myself,  S&W 686 (?) 4" barrel (FBI model I believe), Ruger MkII bull barrel 22lr, 2 Anschutz 22lr rifles they made for about 3 yrs each (Kadett & youth model),  all of these were purchased in the mid 80's before life got in the way and they stayed in the closet for close to 30 yrs.  Also have a R700 varmint rig in 223 from the mid 90's, and then 3 "recent" purchases in the past 2 yrs, two 223's and a 204R rifles.  I prefer long guns to short ones myself.  I even have my dad's H&R single shot 20 ga from the late 60's/early 70's.  I'll probably give all of these to the GS if he has any interest in this hobby.

My father ordered an H&R 058 Topper for me at our local Ace Hardware when I was a kid. I remember the excitement of going with him to pick it up. It was $100, and had two interchangeable barrels: a 20 gauge with modified choke, and a 30-30 win rifle barrel.

It'll shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, and has been responsible for a lot t of game taken. Although it misses a bit of finish from use, it still resides in the back of my safe and isn't going anywhere. I still have the box and papers as well.

Yep.  And my second.  First was a Savage/Stevens .410 single.  I got it for Christmas from my parents when I was about 14 or so.  Second was a 12 gauge single made by a company in Brazil whose name escapes me, right now - CTE or something like that?  Third gun was a Titan .25 I got as a present from my mom on my 18th birthday.  It was stolen from her house at some point (not a break in robbery - she kept it 'where she could get to it' and I think a visiting relative found and pocketed it.)  So that was my first handgun and I don't still have it.  I bought one just like it at a gun show a couple of years back, though, just for memories and because I honestly like shooting the little dude.  Don't shoot it much, though, because .25acp ammo is so danged expensive.

Yep, I still own the used Sears model 41 bolt action single shot .22 rifle that my Dad bought me for my 13th birthday. I'll never sell it. I spent countless hours honing my shooting skills with that rifle. I credit that cheap rifle for giving me the skills to qualify expert and earn the high shooter award while I was in Marine Corps boot camp almost 40 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Savage 220D 20-gauge shotgun that my parents gave to me for Christmas 1964.  It's still in the gun rack although I have not fired it in decades.  But it killed doves, quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, one sandhill crane, and innumerable clay pigeons in the years before I got my first double barrel.  The firing pin broke at some point and my dad made a new one out of a piece of bicycle spoke.

Cheers,

Whisper

It was my 13th birthday present and still have it.  Gleenfield model 60, they were made by Marlin I do believe as they were a copy of the Marlin Model 60.  Fairly certain it was purchased from the Western Auto in Del Rio Texas.  I remember chasing some big ol' Texas jack rabbits with it. Good old days. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

It was my 13th birthday present and still have it.  Gleenfield model 60, they were made by Marlin I do believe as they were a copy of the Marlin Model 60.  Fairly certain it was purchased from the Western Auto in Del Rio Texas.  I remember chasing some big ol' Texas jack rabbits with it. Good old days. 

The first gun I bought on my own was a Marlin 60. I think everyone needs one. Great guns. And yes the Glenfield name was sort of a store brand line Marlin did. Lots of times (as far as I read) the difference might only be that the wood for the stock was cheaper. 

Oh the days when you could buy guns at the auto parts store... I miss 'em

• Like 1