Do You Still Own Your First Gun?

btq96r

Do You Still Own Your First Gun?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Still Own Your First Gun?

• Yes
    • No

When I was 11 years old (1965) I had, what would now be considered a full time job...40 hours a week. A Mr. Mitchell Curry owned a Western Auto store in my small town. 

He had an H&R 16 g single shot for around $30.00 or so. I convinced him to let me put it on layaway, brought him a note from my mother, and paid off the gun in about 4 weeks. I only made around $15.00/wk. I had to be frugal.

I had a 50cc little motorcycle, rode down, picked it up, along with a box of shells and headed for a local gravel pit. Times were different I guess as this wasn't an unusual event back then.

I still have it. I've killed rabbits, squirrels, dove, predators (foxes and a couple of coyotes) and my first deer with it. Couldn't part with it for anything.

1st gun that I was given was a Winchester 37A single shot 410, I was about 8 years old, and yes I still have it, and my oldest son killed his 1st squirrel with it.  The first gun I ever purchased on my own, was a Beretta 92FS, and yes I still have it too.

9 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I have the first gun I ever shot, my dad's 22. Don't know what happened to the first one I ever owned. It was an Ithaca 20 gauge single barrel. I hated that thing.

Was it one of those lever action single shots that you had to lever it to open and load? I had one of those in 12 gauge and it broke in half when I shot it about to 10th time. The breach was made of pot metal. My dad sent it back and they replaced it with a much heavier gun that had a steel breach. I traded it for a Winchester Model 12 pump the following year at a small gun store in out little town.

42 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Was it one of those lever action single shots that you had to lever it to open and load? I had one of those in 12 gauge and it broke in half when I shot it about to 10th time. The breach was made of pot metal. My dad sent it back and they replaced it with a much heavier gun that had a steel breach. I traded it for a Winchester Model 12 pump the following year at a small gun store in out little town.

Yep. Kicked like a horse

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

Yep. Kicked like a horse

Those pot metal frames made them way to light and weak and that is why they kicked so hard. The new one I got back didn't kick quit as much but was about 2 lbs heavier also.

19 minutes ago, TenMileHunter said:

My first gun was a 20 ga. Stevens bolt action shotgun. I paid $4 for it. I didn't realize the stock was broken until I pulled the trigger and the barrel/action went over my shoulder. That was around 53 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And you duct taped it back together, right. Lol

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Those pot metal frames made them way to light and weak and that is why they kicked so hard. The new one I got back didn't kick quit as much but was about 2 lbs heavier also.

Mine never broke. I shot it a lot.  Had a 3" chamber too. I had o pad up to shoot those.

I do not. I foolishly sold my double barrel 20ga about 9 years ago. Not quite sure if that was my first from dad or the Remington 870 that I do still own. Either way I'm still missing the 20 I sold. Didn't think I would ever shoot it again and brain was a little washy then too. I do still own a 22 single shot that dad and his sister learned on. 

Edited by jhc77

yes.  when I was 10 years old, dad got me my .270 Remington model 7400 semi.  Still have it.  replaced the scope 2 years ago after all these years.  Killed many deer with it.
*actually still own every gun that was considered mine*

23 minutes ago, vontar said:

*actually still own every gun that was considered mine*

I cant actually say that. I have a riding buddy out in CA, retired Marine. He hounded me a good while about selling him my Garand. As I retired from the USN, I gave it to him. So I have almost every gun that I ever owned. :)

• Like 1

First shotgun yes, Remington 20 gauge 1100 LW magnum. First rifle, Marlin Golden 39A <$100 for it and a brick of Remington HP ammo. Both have been mine for over 40 years. First handgun, yes. Purchased in 08. Qualified for my HCP with it. S7W Baby Chief, circa 1953. 5 screw flat latch. Now, it's just for looking at.

EBdXIRi.jpg

Edited by bubbiesdad