Eclipse talk at a fever pitch!

seez52

I was looking forward to this event, but, jeez the media and everyone else is about to blow a gasket talking about it. I live almost smak-dabb in the perfect spot, but this thing is getting milked for every ounce. I about can't stand it anymore. All the hotels here are sold out, so a guy just a little east of me is renting out spots on his hillside for viewing. Cops are afraid people will just stop on the interstate to view it. If I hear one more story of how to tell if your damn viewing glasses are "certified" safe I think I'm going to puke. Don't they realize they are all made in China and those sneaky Chinese will print anything on them they choose regardless of how they are made? Did they forget about all the lead paint they used in kid's toys which were "certified" lead free! I guess where there's a buck to be made someone will be there to exploit it. Hell, there's probably better than a 50% chance it will rain or at least be cloudy that day and that specific time.

rant/

Edited by seez52

With all they hype I predict it will be rainy and cloudy the entire day.

As far as glasses go, if you absolutely must stare at the Sun, make sure they are made by American Paper Optics, a Memphis company that produces zillions of glasses for special occasions every year.

• Like 5

Most of the local schools are out that day. I intend to be in my driveway, or possibly my in-laws back yard. I think it'll be very cool and I'm looking forward to sharing it with my kids, but I'm nerdy like that. 

If it's nice, I fully expect a traffic-pocalypse. The path here is right between knoxville and Chattanooga, and Atlanta isn't far away.  None of the roads across the mountains are able to handle the expected volume.  I think the Atlanta people will be right at home. 

The USFS has announced they're closing the access roads up to all the prime high spots in the mountains, forcing people to walk miles in some cases if they want to view it.  I imagine the Smokys will be a nightmare.   The towing companies are licking their chops. 

During the total eclipse of March 1970 our family was living in South Carolina as my father was stationed at Shaw AFB at the time.  I was quite young but I still remember the hype of the total solar eclipse back then.  The total eclipse path ran up through the panhandle of Florida up to the south east corner of Virginia and we were in a prime location and best of all it occurred on a Saturday.  I remember a large gathering of people near one of the base recreation areas.  Even though I was quite young I still remember thinking how anticlimactic the whole thing was.  It gradually got dark and then bright again.  Just like when a really dark storm system moves through without the rain.

• Like 1

I'm live in a prime time viewing area as well, the Knoxville TV stations have some story about it on a daily basis.  Local communities are milking it for all it's worth, even saying they should bring "cash" in case something goes haywire with the CC terminals.  LOL.  Be prepared is their motto.   The RV sites are full of "whose camping where " and "all the campgrounds are full"  threads.  LOL

I will probably go out in the back yard,  and watch it.  

They are not mentioning the weather forecast much, if any.  Have a feeling it will be overcast & raining.  

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

A rainout on that day would be quite comical. The moon passes in front of the sun. Big deal. It'll be on T.V.

News Channel 5 is going to carry it live between 1pm and 2 PM Central time. It was said on the News that Gallatin is as close to ground Zero as folks can get and the town is trying to figure out where they are going to park all cars. I'm not even planning on walking out my front door to watch it and I have a welding helmet which I could wear to watch it safely but not that interested in it myself. With the way Tennessee pop up showers happen in afternoons I bet a bunch of folks get wet waiting for it to happen...............:clap:

2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have a welding helmet which I could wear to watch it safely

Only shade #14 is dark enough for solar viewing. That's the darkest welding glass available. Anything less is not dark enough. And stacking doesn't work. Two layers of #7 does not make #14 glass.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Only shade #14 is dark enough for solar viewing. That's the darkest welding glass available. Anything less is not dark enough. And stacking doesn't work. Two layers of #7 does not make #14 glass.

Yea, I know and mine is 14. I checked on it to make sure in case I did change my mind but doubt I will. Things like this does not excite me that much..............:bored:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

Channel 8 in Knoxville said that Tellico Plains TN is "expecting" 30,000 visitors for this event, only 800 live there.  Police force consists of 2 officers on day shift and one on night shift.  I foresee some issues.  Sweetwater is expecting/anticipating more than that.  Should be a fun/good day to stay home.  

20 hours ago, bersaguy said:

News Channel 5 is going to carry it live between 1pm and 2 PM Central time........

Perfect timing!    

My Bulldog and I take our after lunch nap around that time and the darken room will be nice.

Deep Bully r.jpg

Edited by DMark
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Considering renting out 3x3 plots in my front yard... :rofl:

People are already doing that here...

21 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Set up the grill and sell hamburgers and hot dogs. Bet you could make enough for a new gun.

Burgers?  I'm gonna load up my lawnmower trailer with cold beers and sell to all the folks parked on the side of the road. 

• Like 4

I could park 15 cars in my parking area in front of my house and they could go out it my back yard and have a great view of the eclipse. I'm just not much on having strangers in my driveway much less my back yard..................:doh:

• Like 1

I admit i am one of the fever pitched locals, reason i have been waiting on this one since the 1980's.  I really have.  I remember a car commercial and i looked it up to confirm.  it was from 1989. 

My original plan was go to to West KY, but now that I know there will be nearly 2:30 seconds though major areas of TN I will stay in TN.  I have my USA certified eclipse glasses from one of the 5 companies NASA listed. They are from Lunt Solar Systems .   

As for the weather, even if Cloudy i am not worried, there are weather events along with eclipses and clouds normally part in time for the show due to the sudden cooling effect.  I learned of that from Arthur C. Clark from 1980. 

However Wife and I am looking for a good place on the center line to go.  This could be considered a hint. 

i am wanting to get on the center blue line some place.   http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=35.98589&Lng=-84.28055&Elv=-1.0&Zoom=9&LC=1

Edited by vontar

Have to say I was a bit sad - bought some glasses and all that jazz to watch the eclipse & then forgot about it and decided to schedule a flight out of town that morning.  Guess I'll sit in the middle of the desert and use those things to watch a partial eclipse instead.