Eclipse talk at a fever pitch!

seez52

I will go to my dentist appontment that morning, then on to work.  At the appropriate time I'll step outside for a couple of minutes and say "ooh, look"

It's pretty cool and all, but to stop the world  and cancel school as Knox County and many other ET districts have done, no.  It's gotten beyond absurd.

I'd love to be optomitrist on August 22nd.  They'll make an entire year that day.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

talk about the certified eclipse keeps coming up.

here is the link i used from Nasa.

Nasa page https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

It lead me to https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

At the time i ordered it looked like the ones  by Lunt Solar Systems had the best change to get to me on time.  I get them This Friday  ordered last Friday. 

FYI, before i got the info on the certified, i brought what i thought and still think is a very very good pair.  They claimed to be certified by no certified markings or paper work.  I will say i used them for the sun and it really did cut out anything that felt harmful.  However that being said with out certification I could not be certain they were UV safe so I had no choice but to request a return from Amazon and Amazon accepted the return.

per the second link

"Eclipse Glasses" & Handheld Viewers

The following well-known telescope and solar-filter companies manufacture and/or sell eclipse glasses (sometimes called eclipse shades) and/or handheld solar viewers that have been verified by an accredited testing laboratory to meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for such products. They are listed in alphabetical order; those with an asterisk (*) are based outside the United States.

Solar Viewer Brands

Edited by vontar

The owner of American Paper Optics in Memphis was on TV a few days ago talking about the counterfeits. He said the Chinese are printing them EXACTLY like his. Same designs, same ISO certs on the inside, same brand name, everything. But the way to tell you got the real thing is that his lenses are silver on the fronts, black on the backs. the knock-offs are the same color on front and back. If yours aren't silver fronts, black backs, you may have fakes.

3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

The owner of American Paper Optics in Memphis was on TV a few days ago talking about the counterfeits. He said the Chinese are printing them EXACTLY like his. Same designs, same ISO certs on the inside, same brand name, everything. But the way to tell you got the real thing is that his lenses are silver on the fronts, black on the backs. the knock-offs are the same color on front and back. If yours aren't silver fronts, black backs, you may have fakes.

Good info. My pile is good

58 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I wonder how many folks are going to receive eye damage by getting the wrong glasses? If I bother to watch it which I probably won't I will still use my grade 14 welding helmet...............:bored:

I wonder if a thousand years ago, there was an entire generation of blind folks after an eclipse.

I also wonder why looking at the sun with an object in front of it is any different than just looking at the sun.

I'm getting pretty cynical as I age.

3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

When I was a little kid, I made a grasshopper's head smoke with a magnifying glass. I'm wearing the glasses. Already checked mine. The made by the company mentioned above, and are silver on the fronts, and black on the backs.

So looking at the sun through a magnifying glass isn't a good idea?:eek:

:D

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I also wonder why looking at the sun with an object in front of it is any different than just looking at the sun.

For the same reason that staring at a 100w light bulb is different than staring at a 100 w light bulb with a basketball in front of it.

During totality, you're not actually looking at the sun, you're looking at the moon. Just like in my example you're looking at the basketball, not the light bulb.

The two things I'm most looking forward to are seeing the sun's corona, and hopefully seeing shadow snakes (aka shadow waves).

Edited by monkeylizard

Even if I didn't have my welding helmet I wouldn't rush out and get any glasses because knowing Tennessee weather. It will probably be cloudy and raining across the state and 1,000 upon 1,000's of folks traveling here will get wet and see nothing..........JMHO

I think there are two ways to enjoy this event:

1) Get glasses. Stare at the sun. Through the glasses, you'll see a green disk, the sun. Then you'll see an almost same-size black disc (the moon) coming in starting to cover the sun. If you're in the path of total eclipse, you'll eventually see the green disc blotted out, with the suns corona glowing around it. Then the black disc moves out again, and you'll return to seeing a green disk.

Or you could really enjoy it this way:

2) Don't get glasses. Don't look at the sun. Instead, look at your surroundings, especially the horizon to the west. When the moon starts to cover the sun, you should see the sky darkening in a spectacular fashion. Like a giant dark shadow that is moving from west to east. It will probably be like a sunset in the west, with near normal sky in the east. It will intensify and engulf the whole sky at point of totality. I think what will happen is hard to express in words. It will get dark like the dark sky right after sunset and stars begin to be visible. When the moon moves on, the darkness will continue to exist in the east, but from the west the sky will begin to brighten again, until you'll see the shadow leave to the east and normal daylight will return.

I'd rather enjoy the colors of the sky, the strangeness of shadow, and experience it like countless of people throughout human history than by keeping glasses on and focusing just on the sun.

If you want to wear glasses, make sure you take a few moments here and there and take the glasses off and look around you (not at the sun).

A good description on what to expect can be found here: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/what_you_see.htm

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Obiwan said:

I think there are two ways to enjoy this event:

1) Get glasses. Stare at the sun. Through the glasses, you'll see a green disk, the sun. Then you'll see an almost same-size black disc (the moon) coming in starting to cover the sun. If you're in the path of total eclipse, you'll eventually see the green disc blotted out, with the suns corona glowing around it. Then the black disc moves out again, and you'll return to seeing a green disk.

Or you could really enjoy it this way:

2) Don't get glasses. Don't look at the sun. Instead, look at your surroundings, especially the horizon to the west. When the moon starts to cover the sun, you should see the sky darkening in a spectacular fashion. Like a giant dark shadow that is moving from west to east. It will probably be like a sunset in the west, with near normal sky in the east. It will intensify and engulf the whole sky at point of totality. I think what will happen is hard to express in words. It will get dark like the dark sky right after sunset and stars begin to be visible. When the moon moves on, the darkness will continue to exist in the east, but from the west the sky will begin to brighten again, until you'll see the shadow leave to the east and normal daylight will return.

I'd rather enjoy the colors of the sky, the strangeness of shadow, and experience it like countless of people throughout human history than by keeping glasses on and focusing just on the sun.

If you want to wear glasses, make sure you take a few moments here and there and take the glasses off and look around you (not at the sun).

A good description on what to expect can be found here: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/what_you_see.htm

You get it, other than the fact it's going to be cloudy and/or rainy.  :lol:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

You get it, other than the fact it's going to be cloudy and/or rainy.  :lol:

Hey, a decent cloud cover might still make it a spectacular event... with that big black disc silhouetted on the clouds moving over you. :)   (Rain would suck though...lol). Oh well, I'll take whatever comes wherever I'll be.

3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

For the same reason that staring at a 100w light bulb is different than staring at a 100 w light bulb with a basketball in front of it.

During totality, you're not actually looking at the sun, you're looking at the moon. Just like in my example you're looking at the basketball, not the light bulb.

The two things I'm most looking forward to are seeing the sun's corona, and hopefully seeing shadow snakes (aka shadow waves).

Right. But the talking heads on tv act like putting the basketball in front of The bulb is somehow more harmful. That's the part I don't follow.

Edited by gregintenn

As I understand it, and my imaging/optics theory is a bit foggy, you can look at the full eclipse when the moon fully blocks the sun. The problem is your eye dilates as it gets darker but the bad stuff from the sun (UV) is still strong enough to cause damage to your eye, especially when dilated. You don't stare at the sun normally for very long because it is so bright and you eye is fully constricted when you do.

Option 3: will be working, will keep working. If I want to see what it looks like I will look at some of the eleventy billion pictures taken. And, if I want to confirm it I will look at the eleventy billion pictures of the last time it happened

Mark