Sig P320 Drop Test

This is the guy also getting sued by Fireclean.  Not saying that has any bearing, just an interesting fact.

Counterpoint to the above Glock Fan boy.  They have pulled all the guns from their shelves and are no longer selling them.  Could well be a play, but seems stupid to lose revenue.  Then again people have done dumber for less.

6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Nope, its a lie supposedly created by some Glock super fanboy who's still pissed that Sig got the Army contract. I've seen this on a couple of other sites.  Do a little searching and the truth comes to light. 

I'm not sure we should dismiss this so quickly. They even offered up some potential solutions for Sig based on their findings. 

In the meantime, let the meme wars commence. :)

FB_IMG_1502187624165.jpg

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, TNman207 said:

What other company has performed a similar test with the same results? Just like a medical condition, I need a second and third independent test result.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TTAG was able to replicate it without too much trouble:

TTAG test

SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol

Published Date: 08/08/2017

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards; performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.

Newington, NH (August 8, 2017) – The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker-fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.

Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.

As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.

The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.

“SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge

Because yes, there really is a milspec for that. 

When I worked at Sears in high school "do not drop" printed on a box meant not more than 3 times from not more than 3 ft. ;) 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

With the growing number of sources and easy repeatability of the result by each new batch of testers, I am having a hard time dismissing this. It appears to be a legitimate problem that definitely needs correction. 

I am with you on this one.  I had zero, and I mean ZERO, problems out of my P320 but I also never dropped it on concrete or whacked it on the back of the slide with a hammer while it was loaded.  But this is apparently too easy to reproduce, repeatedly, which indicates that we shouldn't casually dismiss the potential that something is wrong with the design.

However!  Sig has a lot riding on the P320 and, as was already pointed out in this thread, is doing the right thing and issuing a voluntary recall.  They will correct the problem.  They have too much at stake not to.

• Like 3
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:27 AM, Erik88 said:

I'm not sure we should dismiss this so quickly. They even offered up some potential solutions for Sig based on their findings. 

In the meantime, let the meme wars commence. :)

FB_IMG_1502187624165.jpg

I've saw a lot of funny ones ! they rolling out like crazy

Edited by tercel89
10 minutes ago, luvmyberetta said:

Did I see that right? At 2:00 min into the video a guy test drops the SIG two feet in front of him without any form of safety shield & it did go off! Crazy!

Yea, that popped out at me until I seen another video that mentioned it was done with blanks.