Sig P320 Drop Test

3 hours ago, tmauto769 said:

Some are saying it is due to the mass of the trigger. I would like to see someone zip tie the trigger to the front of the trigger guard then drop it to see if that is the case or it is the fpb that is failing.

I read this as well.  The military models aren't subject to the issue due to them already having a lighter trigger.  Literally lighter, not the pull.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/08/sig-sauer-acknowledges-p320-trigger-issues-with-30deg-drop-m17-mhs-unaffected-announces-voluntary-p320-upgrade/

"Although SIG was already working toward introducing the MHS-inspired Enhanced Trigger to the P320, this -30deg drop issue has hastened their effort. They have lightened the Trigger, Striker and Sear by about 30% overall and added a Disconnect (commercial only, not MHS). The trigger pull weight is unaffected, but rather the trigger part actually weighs less. The reason they lightened those parts is to mitigate the momentum gained by the heavier parts during a drop.

Taylor laid it out, “There is a vulnerability with the P320 at the -30deg drop.” They plan to incorporate the trigger enhancements for the M17 into the P320. They’d been working on them, but implementation wasn’t imminent. Based on what they’ve found, that has been accelerated. Details on their voluntary upgrade program will follow soon."

On 8/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, DaveTN said:

Why does it not surprise me that the military’s exhaustive testing failed to find a flaw that could easily occur in a real world scenario? :)

The government should pull the contract.

Out of all the cool space age tests they do on gear in places like Natick Labs and the Arsenals we have around the country...the real tests should be a group of Soldiers from different units out in the back 40 and on the ranges seeing how it really holds up.

23 minutes ago, jwhjwh54 said:

Wondering if it's worth sending mine in. I've had a revolver fall out of my holster climbing out of a tree stand but these days I have much better holsters.

Dunno if I ever will, but I'm certainly gonna wait a good while to let reports of post "upgrade" reliability and performance filter in. If trigger feel or primer detonation reliability should be affected, it would be an even worse scenario for SIG I'd think, and of course for the end user too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 months later...

Got my email and shipping label.  My goes tomorrow.  My buddy at work registered his with Sig 2 hours before me on the opening day, and he sent his in last week.  I am reading that the turn around is not 6 weeks as advertised, but like 2 weeks.  We will see.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, runco said:

Got my email and shipping label.  My goes tomorrow.  My buddy at work registered his with Sig 2 hours before me on the opening day, and he sent his in last week.  I am reading that the turn around is not 6 weeks as advertised, but like 2 weeks.  We will see.

This whole thing is troubling. I mind a customer of mine (and for the record, yes, I DO work at Wal-Mart, and I DO sell guns there) telling me of Sig doing a drop test with their P226 model.

30 meter wide circular sandbag target, two bags deep. Weapon had a full mag, one in chamber, safety off. Taken up in a chopper to 300 feet and pitched out  onto the target. After a quick field cleaning it was determined that it had NOT dropfired.

Mind, this is a secondhand story, and might be as full of hop as a krausened beer. Still, Sig Sauer is a company with miles and miles of solid reputation; I can't see how something like this slipped through.

Ah, gimme the days of the ol' M1911A1

SWC

KI7CIL General Class

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, runco said:

Received my noticed it shipped yesterday, and I should have it tomorrow.  Basically less than 2 weeks.  I will try to shoot it this weekend.  BTW, here is a good video on what Sig is actually doing to the pistol:

Range report asap please! I’m waiting on my shipping label buf still not sure of what to do!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the P-320 sub-compact because I wanted a small double stack 9mm. It was one of those impulse buys. Then I found out that they didn't make a pinky extension for the magazine   or many accessories at all and I'm having trouble finding a good IWB holster. It is also hard to get that 12th round into the magazine. I am overall dissatisfied with it so far. I hope our troops are not. 

Sig E-Mailed me a few weeks ago and said they would let me know when I could send it back for the voluntary recall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my full size 320 back.......and spoke to customer service.  Wish I had NEVER sent my gun back.  I pull the trigger frequently FWIW I have never dropped my pistol or any pistol for that matter.  Thought I was doing the right thing, NOT.  Significant creep, and heavy pull.  Much prefer the 'old' setup.  Just a word to the wise, carefully consider your risk vs. benefit. 

29 minutes ago, chances R said:

Just got my full size 320 back.......and spoke to customer service.  Wish I had NEVER sent my gun back.  I pull the trigger frequently FWIW I have never dropped my pistol or any pistol for that matter.  Thought I was doing the right thing, NOT.  Significant creep, and heavy pull.  Much prefer the 'old' setup.  Just a word to the wise, carefully consider your risk vs. benefit. 

Can you tell where they milled it?  And is it smooth or is it still rough? It may need some stoning to smooth it up, you may want to send it back if it needs more work; though it would of been nice if they did all that back at the factory the first time.