TOTAL ECLIPSE PATH FOR TENNESSEE

6 hours ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the map. Weather permitting, I will be sitting in the back yard watching.

Just occurred to me...any reason I can't use my cell phone to video it? Anyone know?

I will be doing the same in my yard here in Mt Juliet. BIL is in town, his son is flying in for the viewing as well. They want to go to Galliatn, I offered them to stay with us, 10 or so sec is not worth the drive over with traffic and all.

8 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I know it's still a ways out and the predictions will change a few times, but the forecast isn't looking so hot right now.

I've been wondering about the forecast as well as the Knoxville stations are NOT saying anything about "perfect viewing weather is expected", yada yada yada like they normally do.  They are starting to say "hope we can get this wet weather out of here by then"  LOL.  Lots of people who have traveled far may be disappointed

5 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

I've been wondering about the forecast as well as the Knoxville stations are NOT saying anything about "perfect viewing weather is expected", yada yada yada like they normally do.  They are starting to say "hope we can get this wet weather out of here by then"  LOL.  Lots of people who have traveled far may be disappointed

I can just see some of the people who are paying for hotel rooms and buying eclipse viewing event tickets wanting their money back - as if the hotel management and event organizers control the weather.  If it rains I just hope there isn't some huge traffic incident like a multi-car pile up or something as a bunch of ticked off, disappointed people who aren't familiar with the roads all try to leave the area at once.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:47 PM, Garufa said:

I'm cool with partial totality.  Really, we're talking seconds of difference between inside, close, or outside the zone, right?

There's no such thing as partial totality. There's totality and there isn't. Click on the map link I posted above or the one from vontar. You can click specific spots and it will show the exact duration of totality.

Along the center line, it's going to be about 2m 40s. You only lose a few seconds as you move away from that for the first several miles, but as you reach the edges, the duration falls off very quickly. If you're outside the boundaries, you will NOT see totality. You won't see the sun's corona or the diamond-ring effect, etc. It can literally be a mater of a few meters. People just inside the line will will get the show, but their next door neighbors will not.

I just got back from Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. They are expecting 300,000 visitors to the park for the eclipse. If you go there make sure you have a full tank of gas and food in the car. They don't think they will have enough gas for everyone even though they will fill the storage tanks full before the event. Restaurants and stores will probably run out of food too. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
10 hours ago, Tuffus said:

I just got back from Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. They are expecting 300,000 visitors to the park for the eclipse. If you go there make sure you have a full tank of gas and food in the car. They don't think they will have enough gas for everyone even though they will fill the storage tanks full before the event. Restaurants and stores will probably run out of food too. 

Yeah my wife is the executive housekeeper at Hampton Inn in Gatlingburg and says they are booked full for next Sunday and Monday for the Eclipse, I think it's crazy how much excitement is surrounding this 2 minute event lol But that's just me. 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, john455 said:

Yeah my wife is the executive housekeeper at Hampton Inn in Gatlingburg and says they are booked full for next Sunday and Monday for the Eclipse, I think it's crazy how much excitement is surrounding this 2 minute event lol But that's just me. 

I'll be watching from my back yard.

11 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I keep going back and forth. Is my front deck and 97.7% good enough or do I want to go fight the traffic and find a place in the 100% band. Will probably decide on Monday morning.

Definitely the deck with a cold beverage and a clean, air conditioned bathroom nearby. 

If you're deciding between just inside the band and getting to the centerline, I might agree with you. If you're talking about outside the band vs. inside the band, I'd say the drive would be worth it.

But the forecast doesn't look so great right now, so it may all be for nothing.

11 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

If you're deciding between just inside the band and getting to the centerline, I might agree with you. If you're talking about outside the band vs. inside the band, I'd say the drive would be worth it.

But the forecast doesn't look so great right now, so it may all be for nothing.

I noticed that the forecast a week or two ago looked gloomy, but a couple news stations are now saying that there is just a small chance of cloudiness.  I just have to wonder if that is true or if they have been instructed to tone down the forecasts.  If they predict higher probabilities of overcast during the event, I bet more reservation cancelations will happen.

Yeah, just like the get paid for predicting snow,  I don't think so.  But then on second thought they actually do for all those snow and weather related closing reports that are sponsored by XYZ company of widgets Inc.  I do believe they usually lean toward forecasting the worse case scenario and hope for the best.  I did post something in one of the eclipse threads going here from the southeast regional Farmers' Almanac that said eclipse viewing would be iffy with high chance of overcast and rain.  I've been checking a couple of different weather providers for the Nashville area and several have changed from clear to chance of rain every two days or so. The one below is from Inellicast and they are back on with cloudy and chance of rain.

image.png.590dfd870bc3f185297b4f32a0f42b1d.png

image.png.fa8920ce5821900462b6a052fcc6ffb0.png