TOTAL ECLIPSE PATH FOR TENNESSEE

I did not watch the eclispe because I was pouring a bait order I got and was thrilled to get as bait business has been off quite a bit but I did keep an eye on the bait room window. When it got total dark I got up and went to the door and let Kasey look out. She went out and looked around a minute or two. Barked aout 3 times when I told her to look and then she just came ack in house. That is a routine she goes through every night when we get ready for bed. She goes out and makes er rounds barking at checking to make sure all the bad guys are gone and then comes back inside. My guess is she thought it was time to go to bed for the night. I gave her a treat for doing guard dog duties and went abck pouring baits. The beagle hound next door was howling at the darkness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, Steelharp said:

Capitalism. Embrace it. ;)

BTW, the governor of Texas embraced the capitalism there the other day. With bottled water going for $80-$100 a case and gas going for $20/gal they decided $20,000 fines per incident to start with was a nice thing to do for the capitalistic individuals there. 

16 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

There's a difference between capitalism and downright thievery. One didn't have to buy a $30 viewing plot in a yard. It was available, if you wanted it. One has to have water and gas.

You either need to learn the difference, or learn proper smartassness. ;)

I don't  know, do you really need gas?  I recall a simular conversation regarding overpriced generators for katrina, some considered that capitalism too.

It is capitalism. So was the gouging after Katrina. In a free market economy, the owner or producer of a good or service is free to set the price however they see fit in order to maximize profit. In a competitive market, that profit motive often times reduces the price due to competition. This makes companies operate more efficiently to lower costs and maximize profits. This drives an economy to run as efficiently as possible, something other economic systems can't do. The problem in this case is that's it's pure free market capitalism without a competitive market place. Capitalism makes no distinction between goods or services that are needed vs. those that are merely wanted. Normally it's not a problem because the free market will draw competition to an overpriced area, product, or service. But in short-term cases like disasters, that doesn't happen quickly enough.

This is why no country has a pure, unabashed, unregulated free market economy and why certain goods and services are regulated more than others. Even Hong Kong, one of the closest to pure free market capitalism in the world, has recently added a minimum wage law.

• Like 1