Sign in to follow this  
Volphin

Disarming HCPer during traffic stop without notification

Volphin    102

I just saw a video on my FB where a LEO in TN conducted a Terry Stop on a motorcyclist due to an improperly mounted tag.  The guy was wearing a GoPro on his helmet.  Anyway, the LEO states that he saw him leave a gas station with his helmet on and his sidearm OC, then proceeds to tell him his plate is not mounted correctly.  The cyclist is still on his bike, and the bike is off.  As the cyclist glances forward for a second, the LEO quickly snatches the HCPers sidearm without warning or provocation.  It seemed to startle the young cyclist a bit, but he asked why he was disarmed, and why he didn't ask for it.  

I can understand LEO safety first, but is this a legal maneuver?  It also seems to me that the LEO could have accidentally discharged the firearm during his snatch and grab.  

Just throwing it out there...

Erik88    1,730

Let me tell you more about this former Lenoir City officer. He's the same one who jumped in the bed of a truck as it was driving off and then killed the driver. A few months later he tasered an unarmed black youth that was playing outside his home. He was subsequently fired. My friend worked with him at the time and said he had some anger issues.

Volphin    102

Erik, I'm not going to talk badly about anyone who puts on a uniform and puts themselves in harm's way to protect and serve, even if they are no longer with the dept.  I was just curious as I have never seen this happen.

KahrMan    1,885

There was a lot of discussion here about this incident when it happened.  I think most agreed the officer had the right to disarm him, even if we do not agree with it, but he went about it in a stupid and dangerous way.

• Like 1

DaveTN    4,249

How he did it wasn’t smart; but it was legal. The state of Tennessee does not believe that you have a right to bear arms. The Officer can disarm you if he so chooses.