Welding For Dummies

10 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

You can always turn it down, you cannot always turn it up. $100 to double your capabilities is a deal.

Also look at the duty cycle. You want a welder that can handle what you are doing without taking cooling breaks. If you are going to be using it to fix things, versus building things, you could get away with a lower duty cycle. If you get a high voltage welder you shouldn't have a duty cycle problem at the lower settings.

The duty cycle is the best reason (or excuse) for getting a 230 volt. I have a Hobart 175 mig and have hit the duty cycle one time after owning it for years and that was welding a DIY bumper kit for a Jeep. That's a lot of welding on 3/16 steel. I have also used 110 migs on thinner steel that I was hitting the duty cycle more than welding. It's frustrating. What ever you do get gas. You'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

I like many here own a TIG machine but for day to day farm stuff I would rather be squirting with a mig machine.  Just is faster, is a bit more forgiving when your steel isnt quite perfectly matched (read filler) and when laying upside down you can reach it with one hand if needed.  

That said like everyone else says buy the best you can afford and in my eyes 220 is a must, DO NOT buy a 110 machine, even if you have to pull power to use it, a 220 is worth its weight.  Also buy good gear, a quality welding helmet, something auto darkening is nice, it will save your eyes and make your learning easier.  Dont skimp on gloves either.

• Like 1