Sign in to follow this  
Major Kong

wanted Commuter car

I'm looking for a commuter car that I can drive for a couple of years then pass to my daughter. It needs to be sound mechanically and good on gas mileage. Ideal candidates would be a Honda Civic, Volkswagen Jetta, etc. Bonus points if you're interested in a partial or complete trade for firearms. I have some nice toys I'd consider letting go. I'm in Knoxville but will travel a reasonable distance. Thanks for looking. 

12 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What price range are you looking at? I work off Parkside and the dealerships there usually have a nice selection of used vehicles for sale.

Not really looking price range, just looking for a good car at a good price. I've been looking at the local dealership websites, just thought I'd check with TGO first. There are few things I hate more than a car dealership.

• Like 1

So no one in all of the TGO universe has a 10 year old Accord or Civic with decent mileage just sitting around not being driven? Did I mention sweet guns to trade (or cash)?

Edit to add: Not limited to Accord or Civic, just something in that vein. Small to midsize sedan or hatchback.

Edited by Major Kong

11 hours ago, Major Kong said:

So no one in all of the TGO universe has a 10 year old Accord or Civic with decent mileage just sitting around not being driven? Did I mention sweet guns to trade (or cash)?

Edit to add: Not limited to Accord or Civic, just something in that vein. Small to midsize sedan or hatchback.

I've got a 2002 Corolla that was totalled by a hail storm but it's got 200k miles. Probably rougher than what you're looking for. Have you considered some of the local classified ads? There are deals out there. That's how I found my 2002 Tundra in nearly mint condition.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I've got a 2002 Corolla that was totalled by a hail storm but it's got 200k miles. Probably rougher than what you're looking for. Have you considered some of the local classified ads? There are deals out there. That's how I found my 2002 Tundra in nearly mint condition.

Which local ads are you talking about Erik? I've looked through craigslist daily but it's such a sea of crap that it's hard to differentiate what's a scam and what isn't. I've also looked at Facebook marketplace and had a similar result.

All I need is a lightly driven reliable car at a great price :)

8 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Have you worked with those guys? They have a few cars that are exactly what I'm looking for.

I used to work there years ago. He gets the majority of his cars at auction(or he did at that time) but they were typically very clean. He's probably as honest as one can find for a used car salesman. He does not finance so bring cash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I used to work there years ago. He gets the majority of his cars at auction(or he did at that time) but they were typically very clean. He's probably as honest as one can find for a used car salesman. He does not finance so bring cash.

So no issues with rollback on the odometer or other shadiness? The mileage seems really low on these cars.

Just now, Major Kong said:

So no issues with rollback on the odometer or other shadiness? The mileage seems really low on these cars.

No I really doubt it. I never saw that but I only did the detailing. From everything I saw, he was pretty honest. I think he just makes an effort to pickup very clean, low mileage imports at auction. You could always buy a carfax for peace of mind. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Erik, thanks for the endorsement and I agree, as honest as they come

They are current clients with financing now available through the 3 largest local credit unions (with approved credit)

It is not easy for an independent to be approved by one, much less 3 credit unions for indirect auto financing

Randy and James will tell the truth and if they don't know, will tell you they don't know.

Let them know AJ referred you.

5 hours ago, Major Kong said:

If he was shady, I couldn't and wouldn't associate.

They miles are right, like Erik said, they truly try to find and stock great older cars with good miles and the appearance of pride of ownership.

I think they provide a CarFox as part of the sale.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

If he was shady, I couldn't and wouldn't associate.

They miles are right, like Erik said, they truly try to find and stock great older cars with good miles and the appearance of pride of ownership.

I think they provide a CarFox as part of the sale.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I hope my post didn't imply you'd associate with shady folks :) I'm just leery of used car dealers. Nice to have two people endorse the same one.

31 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I hope my post didn't imply you'd associate with shady folks :) I'm just leery of used car dealers. Nice to have two people endorse the same one.

Definitely understand. I have 172 new, used, RV, motorcycle, boat dealer clients, not all are created equal.

I also need to be careful about, "why did you send Kong over there..."

But I had a good idea of what you were looking for and he is local with a good selection in your zone.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, Ronald_55 said:

The 2002 Ford Taurus might be a good option. Looks to have super low miles. I just can't remember if they were good cars or not.

A friend needed cheap wheels so they got a 2003 taurus w 200K...Car was clean,everything works but the design is horrific . Struts in all 4 corners is dumb big time dumb and the tranny is a little slushy,tranny work on this car is the thing of nightmares........The inside and engine is solid but ford really misses on engineering here