Belly landing an A-10 after canopy blows off/landing gear fails

Sam1

8 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Good training does save lives!

That + a testament to bad assery of an A10.  I can't believe they keep trying to get rid of the damn things... Upgrading these beasts would be much cheaper than designing a new one from scratch - and then you get into the issue of not knowing if the new aircraft will even be worth a dang.  I say put more powerful engines on them, lighten the load and add more ammo :D 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

I worked on these off and on for 10 years and it's a testament to the durability of these wonderful birds. I retired in 92.:usa:

So what's the process after the do a crash landing like this?  Do they disassemble pretty much the entire plane, or inspect it while it's together and remove/replace as little as possible?

• Authorized Vendor
Just now, Sam1 said:

So what's the process after the do a crash landing like this?  Do they disassemble pretty much the entire plane, or inspect it while it's together and remove/replace as little as possible?

They usually crane it on a flatbed and haul it to a hangar for inspection and assessment. Then they will either repair it or strip it for parts and scrap the rest. I have seen an A10 belly in once before and actually fly once again. Amazing aircraft.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.