9mm 124 Grain Lead Cast Coated Bullet- Unique Load Recommendation

Hello forum! 

Does anyone have a favorite 9 mm load using a 124 gr. lead cast coated bullet and Unique? I am looking at the ACME Bullet version. Any 124 gr. or 125 gr. coated lead cast bullet data would help.

I know I'm old school using Unique. I have a good stock of it and I like it in my .38 Special, .44 Special and .45 ACP. 

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/9MM-Lead-Cast-Reloading-Bullets?product_id=424

Edited by tgtmasterchuck

Welcome aboard.

I'm a big fan of Unique and have used it for a bit over 30 years now.

We, as a group, cast, Powder coat, and handload. Our bullets wind up at around 130 grs.

I've found, as others have, that lead bullet load data is a good starting point. The powder coated bullets have much less drag/resistance compared to jacketed bullets.

Big Question? Do you have a chronograph? I find a chrono an essential safety tool for handloading.

One of my old time favorites for handloading jacketed 124 gr 9mm rounds is/was a compressed load of 5.7 grs of Unique. Those loads mimicked my then carry ammo of 124 gr Black Hills +P using Gold Dot bullets as far as perceived recoil and POA/POI. These chrono'ed at around 1150 fps. But that charge would be too much for a powder coated bullet imho. I can achieve the same velocity using 4.3 grs of Unique with a PC 130 gr 9mm bullet. 

A current very mild and inexpensive load we use for practice, and I've run it through a couple of classes, is 3.6 grs of Unique with our 130 gr PC bullet. This load chrono's at about 1020 fps. If competition is a concern, this load yields a 133 power factor.

I personally like a bit more pep and will load 4.3 grs of Unique at times.

FWIW we run these loads through at least 10 different Glocks (models 26 through 34) with no cycling or functioning issues.

Just so you know the above are not recommendations and are just my observations and experience.

Starting with lead bullet data from a reliable and trusted source, chrono the loads, and watch for signs of over pressure is a decent place to start. Be safe good Sir.

• Like 2

I am sorry about the delay responding.   I have been out.  

This is very helpful information.  I currently load a 124 gr. JHP with 5.2 gr. of Unique . This load chronographed 1,100 fps from my VP9.  

The limited amount of load data I have been able to find so far ranges from 4.1 gr. to 6.0 gr. of Unique with a 124 gr. lead bullet.  Your 4.3 gr. load sounds like a good load.  I have another 1,000 JHP I need to shoot-up before I load this bullet.  When I do, I think I will load up 10 each of 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 gr. for the chronograph and accuracy testing.  I shoot both traditional rifling handguns and a couple of Kahr's and a VP9 with polygonal rifling.  I hope to use this bullet for both types of barrels.   

I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail.  It may be this winter before I get around to this.  I wanted to shoot with my daughter today; but, it was too hot.   We will try again soon.  

For 124gn Lead bullets, my manuals show start loads ranging from 3.8-5.8gn and MAX loads ranging from 4.5-6.0gn.

Your max load will depend on your lot of powder and your components.

I would run 3.9, 4.2, and 4.5 to start with, and go up if loads seem weak. I know that my lot of Unique does fine with 125gn lead bullets and 4.0-4.5gn of Unique, and I can go up to 5.5gn of Unique, but accuracy is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used Precision Bullets coated bullets, but mostly I use std. lead bullets.

Precision has the advantage of being swaged for consistent dimensions and weight.

I have not found ANY powder faster than AA5 to be truly accurate in 9mm at distances of 25 and 50 yards.

If you shoot inside 20 yards, powder and bullet selection is not that critical.

• 1 year later...

Anybody ever used blue bullets? I just got some 125 grain 9mm loaded some with 4 grains of HP-38 and some with 4.9 grains of Accurate 5 loaded to 1.145 COL. This was also my first time using Accurate 5. Not sure I like it dose not fill the case very much. I will give an update once I shoot them.

#5 has enough volume to where you will definitely see a double charge in your loading block. It is also great for loading the heavier stuff like the 147gr. and also measures very well in throwers. I use it for most auto loaders from 7.62 x25 to 45ACP  

The Accurate No.5 load did not work very well. Several double feeds and stove pipes. The HP-38 shot really well and acutely a little on the warm side but the brass looked good. I am going to up the Accurate 5 charge by .02 grains and see what happens. I also picked up some Unique yesterday.