Smith & Wesson Model 31-1

Garufa

For some odd reason lately I've had a hankering for a S&W revolver chambered in the mighty .32 S&W Long.

Scratched that itch today at the gun show with this pristine example.  Think it was made around '68 or '69 and appears unfired outside of the factory.  Even had the original  manual and registration card in the box.

unL777y.jpg

buMRM3n.jpg

M1MirUU.jpg

• Like 8

My Dad had one of those when I was around 10 yrs old, he had it under the seat of his truck and got stopped in a road block here in Cocke County. The gun slid out into the floor board and the cops saw it, had Dad get out, and picked the gun up, looked it over, and asked Dad if he wanted him to call it in, Dad said NO and the cop put it in his pocket and told Dad to have a nice day. I asked Dad about it years later and he said he bought it at the Flea Market and was afraid it might come back stolen so he just let the cop keep it.

15 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That looks like my Model 36, but it isn't. Every time I see something like this, I regret selling any of my S&W revolvers when I was young.

Pretty much the same gun except it holds one more shot and isn't .38.  With a square butt this J frame feels really good in the hand.  He actually had a 36 right next to this one in the same condition w/box but I tried not to look at it as I didn't want to go overboard. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

That looks like my Model 36, but it isn't. Every time I see something like this, I regret selling any of my S&W revolvers when I was young.

In spite of my moniker, I have a great love of Smith wheelies. I honestly don't think I have ever sold one of mine. That might change soon though. Old age creeping in.

i

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Pretty much the same gun except it holds one more shot and isn't .38.  With a square butt this J frame feels really good in the hand.  He actually had a 36 right next to this one in the same condition w/box but I tried not to look at it as I didn't want to go overboard. 

I have one of these from my Dad. Nowhere as nice as this one though. Congrats on the score.

But you really should have gotten the 36 as well. lol

Just now, mikegideon said:

That's my all time favorite. I have owned 3, and won't ever sell the last one

That's a hard pick for me. But I'd probably have to pick my Model 19 snubbie as my fav Smith wheelie. Then my 625 Mountain Gun in 45acp.

9 minutes ago, hipower said:

That's a hard pick for me. But I'd probably have to pick my Model 19 snubbie as my fav Smith wheelie. Then my 625 Mountain Gun in 45acp.

I had a nickel model 19 4". Loved it too. But back then, he 36 was about the best concealment gun you could get. So, it won with me. I woudn't carry anything less than a 38. I thought 380's and less were toys.

I have a couple of the J-frame .32s and they are great little guns. Very accurate with almost no recoil. 

When the arthritis in my wife's hands got to where she could no longer handle the recoil of her .38, she ran across a 2" Model 30 at a gun show. That's the same gun as your's, just with a round butt.  I put a set of boot grips on it and lightened up the trigger a bit for her and that little .32 served as her defense gun. She loved that thing because she could shoot it very well and it didn't hurt her hand. A .32 may not be much, but it sure beats harsh language. ;) 

Playing around with her gun prompted me to later buy 3" and 4" Model 31s. They're loads of fun.  

If you want to use it for self defense, I recommend the Magtech 98gr SJHP round. These have an excellent reputation for accuracy, penetration and expansion. This load makes the .32 a viable defense gun. :up:

Ya done good there Bubba! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Garufa said:

For some odd reason lately I've had a hankering for a S&W revolver chambered in the mighty .32 S&W Long.

Scratched that itch today at the gun show with this pristine example.  Think it was made around '68 or '69 and appears unfired outside of the factory.  Even had the original  manual and registration card in the box.

unL777y.jpg

buMRM3n.jpg

M1MirUU.jpg

That looks to be in mint condition. I've got a 31.1 from about the same time period with the 3" barrel and it really surprised me with its accuracy. The 32 S&W Long is just a great caliber for recreational shooting. 

Ya did good brother... These are great little pistolas... We've got a dear friend's dad n law's old I Frame with a 3 inch barrel and "sunday go to meetin" pearl grips CIRCA early 1900's, i would guess... I love the little "J" frames of any flavor, but the model 31's are special...

Enjoy...

adimrin leroy...

Very nice S&W revolver Garufa! I have quite a few S&W revolvers, but I have not found one in .32 caliber yet that I've been willing to pay the price for. However, I do have a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel in .327 magnum which gives me the capability to shoot anything in .32 caliber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk