Scope installation

Hello everyone.

I was curious on your thoughts of do it yourself or professional scope installs?

Right now I am on both sides of the coin.

I have a new Ruger and scope to go on it but I don't work on firearms much so my skills are marginal at best.

What do you usually do with a new rig?

Thank you.

Doug

I've always mounted my own, even before the internet except when the place I bought my rifles offered free installation. Nowadays, YouTube can walk you through a few ways to do it, with minimal tools.  Now, if the new weapon will be something to compete with, it may be worth taking it in.  

Tools Needed: Allen or Torex wrenches (Wheeler FAT Torque wrench $45), two small levels

Bolt the base on. Torque it if you have an inch pounds torque wrench.

Loosely set the rings and scope for proper eye relief distance.

Level the scope to the rifle. If you don’t have levels, do it by eye.

Torque the ring caps.

I have a laser boresight so I rough in zero with that. If you don’t have one just skip to the next step.

Go to the range fire three rounds at the same point of impact without trying to compensate, adjust the scope, do that again, adjust the scope, Bullseye…done.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Tools Needed: Allen or Torex wrenches (Wheeler FAT Torque wrench $45), two small levels

Bolt the base on. Torque it if you have an inch pounds torque wrench.

Loosely set the rings and scope for proper eye relief distance.

Level the scope to the rifle. If you don’t have levels, do it by eye.

Torque the ring caps.

I have a laser boresight so I rough in zero with that. If you don’t have one just skip to the next step.

Go to the range fire three rounds at the same point of impact without trying to compensate, adjust the scope, do that again, adjust the scope, Bullseye…done.

To boresight, bolt actions without a laser, I pull the bolt and look through it while in a cradle or lead sled and aim it at a reference point.  Then, without moving the rifle I move the crosshairs to the reference point.

• Like 1

I was apprehensive about mounting scope as well but as i've done more of them, they processes has gotten a lot smoother and easier.  It helps to have the right tools though.  Have a good gun vise, I use a Tipton.  Have a good torque wrench (Wheeler FAT), and a extensive set of Wheeler bits.  Also I use a wheeler leveling kit, the kind that attaches to the barrel of the rifle.  You'll also want BLUE loctight and some sort of degreaser like acetone, goof off, or the like.  I watched a fair amount of youtube videos to get the process down, and like i've said, its gotten easier with time. Totally doable for you....and undoable if you mess up! Good luck. 

Well said you all.

All good stuff.

It is funny how some things run through your head.

I keep hearing something that my father would say. There are 2 kinds of people who take a watch apart. A jeweler and a fool. Lol.

In this instance I think I will try and find someone close to me here and do the work.

Thanks.

Doug

Fat wrench good! Put blue loctite on all threads. I have shot scopes right off the rifle with semi autos. Youtube is probably your friend, especially if you can find a Brownell's or Midway video. Gotta level the reticle to the rifle and set proper eye relief

I like the mirror trick.... never heard that one before.  Caliber is always a consideration when I mount. If its a fair kicker, put a dab of rubber cement in the ring saddles before you drop the scope in. This trick will even keep a 375 H&H from doing scope slide under recoil. 

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Good for you. As long as you don’t crush the scope tube there shouldn’t be any issues you can’t correct. I would however recommend that you don’t use any Loctite; at least for now.

Blue loctite should be fine, having said that, I didn't use any for years and never had an issue on any of my rifles.  Just tighten each screw snug at first then tighten in a cross pattern to keep from warping the mounts.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:45 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I understand the nervousness. I've got $3k of scope and rifle awaiting assembly and I'm just not comfortable doing it myself. 

This is probably worth it for those Nightforce scopes. I know you can do the work by just following the instructions that come with it. I own a 1" lapping kit and a Fat Wrench. The instruction sheets are almost worth as much as the tools...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI

• Like 1

If you don't have a good set of screwdrivers that fit properly you can mess up the screw slots. I bought a set specfic for working on guns and keep them separate from my normal tools and only use them on gun projects and other precision work. This is the set I bought and have been pleased with them,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IT4WU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, mikegideon said:

This is probably worth it for those Nightforce scopes. I know you can do the work by just following the instructions that come with it. I own a 1" lapping kit and a Fat Wrench. The instruction sheets are almost worth as much as the tools...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI

That seems like a good way to go. I'll probably pick it up as I already have another build in mind for larger game, longer distance, and less weight. That one will be a Mesa Precision Arms build.