Which gun is best in hunting a rat?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lived in South Miami when I was 8 or so (58) now, Boy Scouts was best, canoe trips about every month. As far as rat shooting, a Rugger 10/22 will do, a rat is a small target, just how far are you shooting? A 10/22 can be had from any LGS or box store.

If you want a budget rimfire the Remington 597 can be had from Buds for $165. They also have about anything else you would want. I bought mine years ago on sale at Bass Pro with a cheap RedHead scope. Mine is a tack driver. Sold it to my BIL and just recently talked him into selling it back to me.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/96550/Remington+597+BL+22+lr+Auto+Synthetic

If want an air rifle, Walmart, Academy or Bass Pro sell a few. Or this place has them all on-line.

http://www.pyramydair.com/

"High range" would need to be defined. Inside 50 yards Id use a .177-.22 air rifle. Up to 100yards you'll need a .22lr. Out to 150-200 yards and .22hornet is your friend. But if you want much farther than that you will be looking at true long range small bore calibers like are typically used for prairie dog hunting, .223Rem, .22-250, etc.

Most air rifles are fine. I really think the Marlin Model 60 is the best off the shelf budget .22lr available. Much more accurate than a stock 10/22. 

6 hours ago, nightrunner said:

Most air rifles are fine. I really think the Marlin Model 60 is the best off the shelf budget .22lr available. Much more accurate than a stock 10/22. 

That is basically what you hear about the Model 60. Everyone loves them. People just want the 10/22 for hi-cap mags. I figure I have 14 in my 60's tube and I can top it off easily. Why would I need more? I am not fighting WWIII with it.

Hey at least people can eat them if SHTF. Lol

Maybe I should go down to Louisiana and shoot a few. The $73000 a guy took in is more than I make a year.  Wonder if you can just show up and shoot them on public land? Be good target practice too. 

I'd get one of the higher end .22 air rifles. 

I use a Hatsan .22 caliber spring air rifle, easily kills squirrels, and rabbits, would definitely do in nutria.
Silent but deadly and accurate too.
Pyramidair.com is a very reputable site.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk