Picked up a rifle I never thought I'd have today

My father-in-law passed on a deal to me that I couldn't pass up. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 from him with the original stock as well as the Butler Creek folding stock he'd bought  but didn't care for. The jewel of the deal is a Ruger 96/22 in .22 mag! I am beside myself with this new addition. It's beautiful and my first .22 magnum of any kind. I know they were only made for several years and that is cool in  itself. But it's really going to fit in with my Marlin 336 and Savage 99e nicely. 

I told my Dad about it and I think he may have been as excited as I was. He told one of his long time friends about it that night. They guy said "Hang on a second." and proceeded to pull out of his safe the exact same rifle. My Dad's jaw dropped and of course asked what he wanted for it. His friend said "Oh, I'll never sell it. I just keep it in the safe." haha It killed Dad to hear that. Anyway, he's coming in to visit next week and he can't wait to see it. I hope we have time  to get out and shoot it together.

Anyone else on here have one?

Ruger1.jpg

Ruger2.jpg

Ruger3.jpg

Ruger4.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 7
2 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Congrats! The 96/22 is a really cool gun. I cant see your pics though... just an empty placeholder. 

Sweet find.

Thanks! Also, thanks for letting me know about the pictures. I'll try another way, every since photobucket pulled their  stunt, I'm lost. I'm gonna try to upload them.

• Like 1
Just now, Wingshooter said:

Yes! I see them now. That's a great looking rifle! Definately one to hang on to and pass down. I looks new.

That's exactly what will happen to it, along with my others. My daughter's going to have a bigger safe than her husband :biglol:

Thank you, it has very little use that's for sure!

• Like 1
Just now, Ronald_55 said:

I had no idea they ever made the 10/22 in a mag chambering. Cool score. 

I didn't either but it made  me do some reading when he told me what he had.

1 minute ago, xtriggerman said:

Another fine "should have stayed in the line up" gun from Ruger.  22mag is perfect in that lever gun. Great score & investment.

Agreed. I'm really glad he said something to me about it. Funny part of the story is he was calling to ask me how to get on TGO. I told him and said "Let me know if you need help navigating the site". He said "Oh I've got a couple guns I'm gonna sell". I said "The site is down for construction, don't know when it will be fixed, whatcha got for sale?!" :biglol:

He started laughing because he knew I was joking and asked if I was interested. He's actually happier since he knows the guns will stay in the family now.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2017 at 9:31 PM, rugerla1 said:

My father-in-law passed on a deal to me that I couldn't pass up. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 from him with the original stock as well as the Butler Creek folding stock he'd bought  but didn't care for. The jewel of the deal is a Ruger 96/22 in .22 mag! I am beside myself with this new addition. It's beautiful and my first .22 magnum of any kind. I know they were only made for several years and that is cool in  itself. But it's really going to fit in with my Marlin 336 and Savage 99e nicely. 

I told my Dad about it and I think he may have been as excited as I was. He told one of his long time friends about it that night. They guy said "Hang on a second." and proceeded to pull out of his safe the exact same rifle. My Dad's jaw dropped and of course asked what he wanted for it. His friend said "Oh, I'll never sell it. I just keep it in the safe." haha It killed Dad to hear that. Anyway, he's coming in to visit next week and he can't wait to see it. I hope we have time  to get out and shoot it together.

Anyone else on here have one?

Ruger1.jpg

Ruger2.jpg

Ruger3.jpg

Ruger4.jpg

Wow, Im envious.  I love 10/22s and have a few.  I would love to have one of their old .22 mags.   Are there hicap  mags available for it? I havbe an  old savage .22 mag but Ive been on the lookout for that keltec .22 mag, CMR-30  to match my PMR-30, but have so far been unwilling to pay the asking price...maybe someday Ill see a good deal on one.., or a trade...

Edited by JAlexanderMSgt
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

Wow, Im envious.  I love 10/22s and have a few.  I would love to have one of their old .22 mags.   Are there hicap  mags available for it? I havbe an  old savage .22 mag but Ive been on the lookout for that keltec .22 mag, CMR-30  to match my PMR-30, but have so far been unwilling to pay the asking price...maybe someday Ill see a good deal on one.., or a trade...

Thank you! I haven't found anything outside of factory Ruger 9 round mags. I am okay with that versus an aftermarket one that doesn't work.