Going to Vet today!!

bersaguy

Going to make a run to the Vet today. Kasey has been having issues with going potty recently so going to get her checked out. Praying it is diet related and I can just change her diet but never know till get her checked.

Maybe I know it might be sounding silly but would appreciate a few prayers for me and her. She has been with me a very long time and is my best friend for sure.

Thanks

Bersaguy    aka  Doug

• Like 1

Well Vet visit is over and her vet figured out that she had glands that were full and they emptied them and she said that they did a test that showed a bacteria in his intestinal tract. She provided me with a 30 day supply of probiotic supplement to be put in her food to correct the issue. She got her first dose of it with her supper and will get 29 more in next 29 days. Keeping fingers crossed it works.

Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

I know some folks may think it's just a dog but she has been with me for going on 17 years come November. Many of my buddies tell me she has me trained really good to do her bidding.............LOL. I can't really argue with them as she is quite spoiled for sure.

• Like 4

Good to hear. Hopefully that helps out. I am not even a cat person and I sorta miss the 16 year old cat we just lost. So I can understand. They asre mpre family than some blood relations.

Btw, you couldn't pay me enough to be the one to "express" glands!

Wow... 17 years. That's amazing. I hope Kasey keeps you around for a while longer...

I don't know if it helps but we give our mutts yogurt every day. Hopefully it helps with the probiotic thing. They like it, it is cheap, and it doesn't seem to hurt. I think it is a TGO rule that you are supposed to post a picture in all dog threads.

Bandit and Brigand are truer friends than any of the two legged variety. It is arrogant in a sense to say, but their sun rises and sets with our family. A friend will have their own concerns from time to time. Not so with a dog. They are an extension of yourself, properly motivated. They know our schedules, and they have their routines, all which begin and end with the family. Today was odd as my wife came home early, we missed one another by minutes. Brigand is still a puppy with curiosity and chewing issues, so she is kenneled from 10am to 1pm, and it completely messed her day up when the wife let her out at 10:10am.

I feel and understand your pain Doug. If/when the time comes for one of my dogs, it will be like losing a member of the family. It was hard enough putting our twelve year old cat down last year. I can't fathom the loss and pain for one of the dogs. Whom aren't arrogant and antagonistic spoiled semi-deities expecting to be waited on hand and foot.  

Thanks to all of you for the kind words about my spoiled mutt. Yea she will be 17 in November and one of my friends expressed his concern about a year ago while we were having coffee that Kasey and I have a bond like he has never seen. He said I honestly believe you know what each oher is thinking about. He said what I am afraid of is if we lose either one of you we will lose both because the other will grieve themselves to death. I said well if I go first you make sure you take good care of her and he said I knew I was going to be the one elected because you have had me in training for about the last 6 months about her foods and treats and everything else. I said Yep!

Mark said I need to post a picture of her. I will try but she is totally camera shy!!  Ok I found 1 of her about 6 years ago and I will try and get an updated one of her to post when she is not watching me cause if she is watching she will turn her head.

Ok, Kasey finally came back in the house for a snack lunch and I was able to get fresh pictures of her............lol. That bed she is laying on is a memory foam matress and her favorite quilt which I am not allowed to wash. Made that mistake about 3 years ago and she would not sleep on it till I took it out and rolled it around in back seat of Jeep till it smelled like her again. As you can tell she is a little over weight. According he Vet she should weigh about 32 lbs and she weighs 72 yesterday.

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, hipower said:

Very Glad she's doing better! But Kasey and I both need to loose some weight. I bet she does it easier than I do.

I bet she does not do it as easy as you do!!!! When I first began using this new Vet back about 7 years ago on our first visit the Vet took a picture of her skeleton to compare what she should weigh verses what she did weigh at the time and she say Kasey's proper weight should be about 29-31 lbs and that she was 40 lbs over weight. She asked me what I fed here and about 1/2 way through the list she was laughing and said ok , I get the idea! Shes a Junk food Junkie and I said well it's not really junk food. Chicken Breast cooked up in a crock pot for her suppers along with a couple grilled burgers instead once in a while. She would not eat dog food at all period. I spent a small fortune buying dog foods and she would turn her nose up at everything. Ended up giving them to friends that had normal dogs. For her snacks I buy 1 pound bags of Jacks Links Turkey Jerky and Turkey Sticks and she does love Alpo Snaps dog biscuits but on the little bites. I made the mistake of buy the big bites by accident and she would not eat them so they went to friends also. The Vet told me that the stuff I was feeding her does not seem to be hurting her and she was healthy back then except for being fat so she didn't tell me to change anything but just cut back a little on the snacks. 

I was shocked when I added that medicine to her Chicken last night and she hogged it down. Normally I can't get her to eat anything with medicine in it. The Vet said that most dogs will eat this because it actually has an appetite enhancer in it and dogs love it. Well will see how long she goes before she realizes I'm putting it in her food and she turns her nose up at it. Only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I force myself not to load up my two dogs with treats so they don't get overweight. I know in the long run it's better for them but doggone it they are part of the family and as loyal as can be. Luckily they both love the ball and frisbee and don't have enough sense to quit so they get quit the workout to earn their treats. Take care of your pup. :up:

2 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

I force myself not to load up my two dogs with treats so they don't get overweight. I know in the long run it's better for them but doggone it they are part of the family and as loyal as can be. Luckily they both love the ball and frisbee and don't have enough sense to quit so they get quit the workout to earn their treats. Take care of your pup. :up:

Kasey use to love Frisbee in her younger days and she will still play ball these days....................for about 5 minutes.....................LOL. She will still chase squirrels for about 10 feet and Rabbits about the same distance and then comes in and sleeps for an hour or so but I figure that is what most old fat folks do so she it acting true to form............LMAO

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Kasey use to love Frisbee in her younger days and she will still play ball these days....................for about 5 minutes.....................LOL. She will still chase squirrels for about 10 feet and Rabbits about the same distance and then comes in and sleeps for an hour or so but I figure that is what most old fat folks do so she it acting true to form............LMAO

Glad to hear Kasey had a good prognosis.  I too have a couple of geriatric dogs that I spend more on their daily meds than my entire family combined.  What I spend in a month on them would easily buy me a very nice shoot'n iron monthly.  But like you say they are family and I would do the same for one of my children if insurance did not cover it.  Does her left ear always stand up and the right one lay down or just a coincidence in the photos?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I bet she does not do it as easy as you do!!!! When I first began using this new Vet back about 7 years ago on our first visit the Vet took a picture of her skeleton to compare what she should weigh verses what she did weigh at the time and she say Kasey's proper weight should be about 29-31 lbs and that she was 40 lbs over weight. She asked me what I fed here and about 1/2 way through the list she was laughing and said ok , I get the idea! Shes a Junk food Junkie and I said well it's not really junk food. Chicken Breast cooked up in a crock pot for her suppers along with a couple grilled burgers instead once in a while. She would not eat dog food at all period. I spent a small fortune buying dog foods and she would turn her nose up at everything. Ended up giving them to friends that had normal dogs. For her snacks I buy 1 pound bags of Jacks Links Turkey Jerky and Turkey Sticks and she does love Alpo Snaps dog biscuits but on the little bites. I made the mistake of buy the big bites by accident and she would not eat them so they went to friends also. The Vet told me that the stuff I was feeding her does not seem to be hurting her and she was healthy back then except for being fat so she didn't tell me to change anything but just cut back a little on the snacks. 

I was shocked when I added that medicine to her Chicken last night and she hogged it down. Normally I can't get her to eat anything with medicine in it. The Vet said that most dogs will eat this because it actually has an appetite enhancer in it and dogs love it. Well will see how long she goes before she realizes I'm putting it in her food and she turns her nose up at it. Only time will tell.

My Molly, lying at my feet right now, is an 8 year old Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mix. She currently weighs in at 39 pounds. And is the pickiest eating dog we have ever had.

She will eat only Wilderness Blue Salmon flavor. Hates canned foods of any kind, even the candy of dog foods...Alpo. Will sniff and walk away from it. I've given up on trying other dry foods. It's just a waste of money. Even the other flavors of Blue get ignored.  As far as treats, she will beg and plead for Greenies until she gets one. And a 30+ a box that gets expensive. I've taken to getting the larger size and giving her half of it. Seems to work. But...she also gets a denta-stick a day, and a small chicken jerky treat.

Molly has gotten me very well trained. I fix her food and fresh water, call her several times; and rarely will she eat without one of her treats as an appetizer. lol

She really hates pills, but recently has given up. When I show her the pill, Molly will sit at my feet and allow me to gently(pry) her mouth open and drop the pill on the back of her tongue. Still hates them, but is getting resigned to them I guess. 

All in all, I'm a well trained human. She did a great job with me.

• Haha 1

I wish more people would treat other humans as well as we treat our canine families!

Then again I wish more people would treat us like our canines do!

I cannot imagine life without our dogs. One thinks he is a goat and has to be on top of whatever chair I am in (Yorkie) and the other is a burrowing type who is always under a blanket somewhere (Chihuahua). The Yorkie was a rescue and the Chihuahua was one of 2 pups we got from her mom who we had for 18 wonderful years. The other pup is with my sister and yes they chat online occasionally!

12 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Glad to hear Kasey had a good prognosis.  I too have a couple of geriatric dogs that I spend more on their daily meds than my entire family combined.  What I spend in a month on them would easily buy me a very nice shoot'n iron monthly.  But like you say they are family and I would do the same for one of my children if insurance did not cover it.  Does her left ear always stand up and the right one lay down or just a coincidence in the photos?

Glad to know your dogs have you to care for them. I spend about the same on kasey as I do on myself each month in the way of food and meds. It works out fairly well since she eats what I eat and we can share. Yea, I do eat alot of chicken but I never knew how many different ways you can prepare it till I began feeding her chicken as a pup. She only gets hers cooked in crock pot and I cook mine in some other way and add veggies. I buy all my Chicken Breasts at Sams in 8lb bags and  buy 4 to 5 bags a month when I go. I get her Jerky turkey Treats there also. I have to order her Turkey Sticks on line as Sams does not sell them.

Now as for her ears!  When she was about a year old she got out of the yard and into the road in front of the house and a car hit her with just a glancing blow and car had one of those cushion style bumpers plus the drivers was trying to stop before hitting her so might have been doing less than 10MPH. It was enough to roll her over in yard across the road. Car continued on but neighbor across the road got my attention to her laying in the yard. I went to get her and she was laying but her head was up and she was trying to wag her tail and as I picked her up she licked my face and didn't cry out in pain so that was a good sign. Neighbor lady told me she didn't get hit hard but just enough to bump her off into her yard. Before she got hit both of her ears stood up. Since she got hit her right ear has laid down but when she is alerted to a noise or a car pulls in both ears are standing up so she can stand it up when she wants to. She has never forgot that day because when I go get the mail out of the box she will follow me to the corner of the front house and from then on just watch me till I get the mail and come back to the corner of the house and then she will come back to the cottage we live in and loves to stretch out on an old hard kitchen floor and I tell her she looks like an old fat hog and her tail wags a few times and she never raises her head. I will try and get a picture of her when she is doing to hogg routine.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, hipower said:

My Molly, lying at my feet right now, is an 8 year old Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mix. She currently weighs in at 39 pounds. And is the pickiest eating dog we have ever had.

She will eat only Wilderness Blue Salmon flavor. Hates canned foods of any kind, even the candy of dog foods...Alpo. Will sniff and walk away from it. I've given up on trying other dry foods. It's just a waste of money. Even the other flavors of Blue get ignored.  As far as treats, she will beg and plead for Greenies until she gets one. And a 30+ a box that gets expensive. I've taken to getting the larger size and giving her half of it. Seems to work. But...she also gets a denta-stick a day, and a small chicken jerky treat.

Molly has gotten me very well trained. I fix her food and fresh water, call her several times; and rarely will she eat without one of her treats as an appetizer. lol

She really hates pills, but recently has given up. When I show her the pill, Molly will sit at my feet and allow me to gently(pry) her mouth open and drop the pill on the back of her tongue. Still hates them, but is getting resigned to them I guess. 

All in all, I'm a well trained human. She did a great job with me.

Hi Buddy, sounds like Molly is about as spolied as Kasey is. I only read one thing that alarms me in your post and that is the Chicken Jerky Treat. My old Vet and the new one I have had for about 6 or 7 years both told me not to feed Kasey any Chicken Jerky pet products because they are making dogs sick and even killing them. Back about 10 years ago I was feeding her Chicken Jerky from Waggin Trails and they were being made in America. Then one day I picked up a bag of them and caught my eye was Made in China. I put them back on the shelf and when I got home I looked on the bags I had here and all of them said made in America. I went on line and did some research and learned that Waggin Trains (Nestle-Purina) was being sued by people for making their dogs sick and read some horror stories about what people were going through with their dogs. Read this one article and see if you still trust any Jerky treats for dogs cause I don't....jmho

http://www.poisonedpets.com/theyre-back-waggin-train-pet-jerky-treats-poised-poison-pets/

Make sure you read all the comments at the bottom of the post!!!!

Yes, I know all about the Waggin-trail issues. I stopped feeding anything not made here by a reputable company.

I misspoke when I said jerky; it's actually Betsy Farms Chicken Grillers. More like a chicken patty than anything else.

After the problems with animal foods of all types and brands over the past years, I ask my vet about each food and treat I use. I haven't seen or heard a negative on them yet.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, hipower said:

Yes, I know all about the Waggin-trail issues. I stopped feeding anything not made here by a reputable company.

I misspoke when I said jerky; it's actually Betsy Farms Chicken Grillers. More like a chicken patty than anything else.

After the problems with animal foods of all types and brands over the past years, I ask my vet about each food and treat I use. I haven't seen or heard a negative on them yet.

I have trouble feeding Kasey any products made for dogs. In all honesty I don't trust any of them when I know they can get products from China so much cheaper. I don't even trsut them when they say "Made in the USA" I have found over the years that some of the dog food companies claim they are made in America when really they are just packaged in America and that is far from made in America. The only think I give her that is dog related is the Alpo little bite square snacks and the only reason I feed her them is I do actually know a guy that works for the plant that makes them and he swears that everything is American made.