Lake Douglas

Just spent a week at Lake Douglas. I will be moving down to Tenn. in a year or so, doing a recon last week. We had a great time, talked to a lot of folks and just relaxed. Love your state can't wait to be a resident. Went to Bud's, Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Nice to see Gatlinburg is recovering, a lot of burned buildings still.

You will be welcome here! Just remember though we like it the way it is, If you want to change it to "How we do this in NY" please don't. Florida was ruined that way.

I know you will find it much better life here in Tennessee. Native here even though I did leave for quite some time due to military service. Then of course I married a Yankee. Wow, I got he last good one I think. She has seen the light though and we are building a house on the mountain here. 

Great people and peaceful.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

You will be welcome here! Just remember though we like it the way it is, If you want to change it to "How we do this in NY" please don't. Florida was ruined that way.

Amen. I have a Queens NY refugee neighbor like that. Really nice guy who goes on about how much better it is here. Then in the next breath goes on about all the stuff we do wrong. And he wonders why some folks aren't real friendly?  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, peejman said:

Amen. I have a Queens NY refugee neighbor like that. Really nice guy who goes on about how much better it is here. Then in the next breath goes on about all the stuff we do wrong. And he wonders why some folks aren't real friendly?  

Reason for that could be because your neighbor is a "know it all Yankee" like most of them I have met over the years and most southern folks don't think like he does. Maybe he needs to seek out more of the N.Yorkers that have moved down here so he can hang with his own kind..............JMHO

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Reason for that could be because your neighbor is a "know it all Yankee" like most of them I have met over the years and most southern folks don't think like he does. Maybe he needs to seek out more of the N.Yorkers that have moved down here so he can hang with his own kind..............JMHO

Nah, he's a nice guy.  It's just one of the cultural differences between north and south. I learned all about that when a was a Tennessee hillbilly working in the auto industry. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Nah, he's a nice guy.  It's just one of the cultural differences between north and south. I learned all about that when a was a Tennessee hillbilly working in the auto industry. 

yea well, I don't really have an issue with Yankees cause I am a half breed myself. Father was born in Hickory Corners Michigan and my Mother was born in Craggie Hope Tennessee and I was born in Chicago but was raised in a southern tradition home with Beans and corn bread and greens and of course Grits and homemade biscuits and we would come to Tennessee every year on vacation and tote several country hams home along with other stuff you could not buy up there like Sorghum for biscuits. My father use to say he was hillbilly that got born in wrong place was his problem but said when he retired it would be in Tennessee and it was when my Grandfather gave my Mother and Father his ranch/farm and yea some hogs, cows, horses and chickens. and plenty of fences to ride and fix. I got to see the sun come up more in my first month we lived down here than I did in my whole life up north. My Grandfather got me up every morning at 4 AM to go work stock with him before I went to school. He kept telling me I needed to learn how to do it the right way which of course was HIS way and only HIS way............lol. 

• Like 1

I'm an escapee from up North but don't want to change anything to be like up North. Well it would be nice if the water bill came quarterly instead of monthly but I'm getting use to that now :-)

I have told several people down here that moved down from the NE that if they didn't like (fill in the blank) move back where they came from.

Well if I liked NY that much I would stay here, but I want out of this liberal hole, so tired of the government doing what is best for me. Just waiting for my retirement to commence. I live in Nassau county have a hunting/target pistol permit, only thing I can get here, but I have a PA non resident permit (go figure), so I was able to carry in your fair state, wonderful!

Be back down later in the year.

We were looking at some properties, some were wooded, wondering what they charge to clear land for building site, any idea?

1 hour ago, aknifemaker said:

Well if I liked NY that much I would stay here, but I want out of this liberal hole, so tired of the government doing what is best for me. Just waiting for my retirement to commence. I live in Nassau county have a hunting/target pistol permit, only thing I can get here, but I have a PA non resident permit (go figure), so I was able to carry in your fair state, wonderful!

Be back down later in the year.

We were looking at some properties, some were wooded, wondering what they charge to clear land for building site, any idea?

If you're looking at water front property, be aware you may not be able to clear it. TVA has an easement on the majority of the water front. They decide if you can clear it or build a dock.