Holster Break In

I would be very hesitant to use any product on a leather holster that isn't specifically recommended by the manufacturer of that holster. Many products that may well protect leather in general may have the unwanted effect of softening and therefore loosing the fit, and therefore retention, of your holster.

I've had and/or have holsters from Kramer Leather and Milt Sparks and simply keep them clean. My experience in easing up that "stiffness" is many, many repetitions in dry fire. Many, many. ;)

Some holster makers recommend putting your handgun in a thin (think Ziplock) bag (empty of course) and slid the bagged gun into the holster and let it sit to somewhat loosen the fibers...I've never done so nor saw the need.

Just an opinion... I know we have some folks on here that make some incredible leather holsters and hopefully they'll chime in with the SME advice they possess and that I lack. :pleased:

• Like 2

What Prag said Sunfish.... The ziplock bag trick or a variant using waxed paper strips wrapped around the pistol are my "go to" fixes for loosening up a leather holster... Don't put anything on the leather to soften it... Just stretch it a bit... I also will lube the inside of the holster a bit with Sno Seal sometimes to help with the draw... Leather holsters take a bit of time to break in...

leroy

• Administrator

What exactly are you wanting to do when you say "breaking in"?  Is the holster too tight on your firearm for easy holstering and unholstering?

If so, use the approach that @gjohnsoniv mentioned above.  I would try it first without water, but wrapping the unloaded  gun in several plastic bags and then shoving it into the holster and letting it sit overnight.  It doesn't take much stretching of the leather to provide less "grip" on the firearm and you don't want to do too much.

If that doesn't work or doesn't seem to work fast enough, use a VERY small misting of water inside the holster and then shove the same gun wrapped in several plastic bags inside of it and let it sit again overnight.

I know I have been beaten to the answer but this is what I send out with every holster I make...

Holster break in period and care.

Do not apply oil or softeners of any kind to break holster in!

If the holster is too tight carefully unload your pistol and wrap it with 2 layers of wax paper (wax side out) and place pistol fully into the holster, let it sit this way overnight.
Next, work the pistol in and out of the holster a few dozen times making sure to fully seat the pistol in the holster.
Remove the wax paper and try the fit, if its still to tight, repeat the process with 3 layers of wax paper.
Continue this process until you get a close fit, just don't over do it as it is difficult to un-streach leather.
Once the fit is close remove the wax paper and do a few dozen practice draws.
Leaving the gun in the holster when not in use will help the break in process.
Your holster should now allow you to wear it and finalize the break in.
To finish break in wear the holster and repeatedly draw the pistol till you are comfortable with the draw.

A properly broken-in holster should retain the weapon yet still release the pistol for a smooth draw.

I normally only have to do the wax paper method once then just wear and draw, re holster the pistol.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

Yesterday I wrapped the pistol in three layers of wax paper and placed it in the holster and worked it in and out for a time. It improved greatly. I have not figured the thumb brake out entirely as it's still quite difficult to snap while wearing it. It's as though it runs from you when trying to snap it.