City of Knoxville Mayor Banning guns on street

So there is an upcoming white supremacist rally Saturday in Knoxville to fight against against the removal of a monument honoring confederate soldiers (I think the WS are evil, but I also don't think removal of monuments is in our best interest either.) So while reading an article I noticed that they are going to close a street and make it a "no weapons zone." Looking at -1359, I am not really sure that is legal as I don't think the writers intended public roads to fall under "property" in the law. If the local government is allowed to control streets in such a way, we will constitute to see our rights eroded. Of course, this is the same mayor that doesn't think Chilhowee PARK is a park...

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/ahead-of-planned-protest-mayor-burchett-tells-white-supremacists-theyre-not-welcome/466656000

I'd like to add that those white supremacist assholes are not welcome in Knoxville AND there has been no official talk of removal of the monument to the fallen Confederate soldiers from the Battle of Ft. Sanders.

That being said, the city is going to cordon off the whole area, ban weapons, and who is going to take them to court?

Edited by Garufa

They did that same thing a couple (few?) years ago when the KKK had a rally downtown.

So if you protest against the removal of the monument to Confederate soldiers in the Fort Sanders area; you are a White Supremacist?

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So if you protest against the removal of the monument to Confederate soldiers in the Fort Sanders area; you are a White Supremacist?

If you are asking that question of me, then reread my post. I never said anything about reasonable people. 

Can the city legally ban weapons in an otherwise public area?  Probably not.  Rogero has never concerned herself with minor little details like that.  

At for the protestors... those morons only want attention. What if there was no one for them to protest to?  Get every living soul to vacate the "cordoned off area". No news crews, no counter protestors, no general public, no one. I bet they'd get bored and leave. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

When I saw this headline earlier today my first thought was "there is no way they can legally do that". 

Illegal things get done all the time when there is no practical way to stop them.  This is one of those times. Nobody will challenge it.

2 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Knoxville has done this off and on quite a bit over the years for "special public  events", like street fairs, concerts,  and whatever. Even knives would be confiscated.

- OS

Yes but what law allows them to do this? I was hoping you'd chime in!

18 hours ago, Erik88 said:

With the rigid state exemption statute currently, can't be any local ordinances that apply, and I certainly don't know of any state law that allows it either.  (see later post -- forgot about the new metal detector clause in 1359).

But it's pretty much like John and Mike said, who's gonna sue? Though TFA did get involved with the "guns in parks" thing in a general principle suit , that's a rarity, and of course it costs money. And besides perhaps a "you were bad" censure, there's not likely any payoff for a win, unless you can prove real damages.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I think they should cordon off an area, dump a few truckloads of Antifa in there, and let them beat the living #### out of each other. In fact, they should do it in every town.

Make a big fenced in area and declare a Purge night and let them go at each other, I'd watch that lol 

12 hours ago, Erik88 said:

The news this morning said they're literally going to create a barricaded area and wand anyone who wants to enter.  The presence of metal detectors is the loophole that makes it legal. 

I still say if there's no one around to hear/see their protest, they'll get bored and leave. 

• Like 1

Nashville does the same thing at certain events like the Octoberfest. Gunbuster signs on the wooden street barricades.

Memphis has been doing it for years on Beale Street, but that's even more of a racket because on certain nights you have to pay to enter the public street. That payment is then turned into a voucher good at the bars on Beale. So the city basically uses tax-payer funded personnel and equipment to collect a pre-paid bar tab. Nice arrangement for the bars, not so much for the taxpayers.

6 hours ago, peejman said:

The news this morning said they're literally going to create a barricaded area and wand anyone who wants to enter.  The presence of metal detectors is the loophole that makes it legal.

Yep, thnx. Had forgotten about the new changes in 1359:

"(g)  (1) ... nothing in this section shall authorize an entity of local government or a permittee thereof to enact or enforce a prohibition or restriction on the possession of a handgun by a handgun carry permit holder on property owned or administered by the entity unless the following are provided at each public entrance to the property:

(A) Metal detection devices;

(B) At least one (1) law enforcement or private security officer who has been adequately trained to conduct inspections of persons entering the property by use of metal detection devices; and

(C) That each person who enters the property through the public entrance when the property is open to the public and any bag, package, and other container carried by the person is inspected by a law enforcement or private security officer described in subdivision (g)(1)(B) or an authorized representative with the authority to deny entry to the property."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I think it would be smart move if no one showed up for them to protest against and they would just have police on hand to make sure they play nice while they are in Knoxville. I'm sure if no one showed up they would get pi$$ed and leave. Thing is out siders not from Knoxville will probably show up to  make trouble just to get their 5 minutes of news time...............jmho 

There's near zero parking in the area already, plus they're banning parking on the side streets period for the duration of protest. Gonna let folks park on the closed part of 17th Street or something?

(Actually, sounds like it's not going to be a big gathering anyway, so probably doesn't matter.)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The city is closing off a 6 or 7 block area in Fort Sanders, an extremely densely populated area of students, hipsters and what some would call hippies.

So here are a couple of things for those who so wish to opine on:

1)  Residents are supposed to be allowed ingress and egress of the area but I bet not even 5% have any kind of id that ties them to the area.

2)  What about residents who might own guns in the exclusion zone?  Are they suddenly disallowed from possessing those guns or is it allowed because the arms are in a private residence?

And as OS pointed out, the side streets are lined with cars pretty much 24x7.  Not only from residents, but visitors, commuter students (not much of an issue on weekends), and people trying to get to the hospital a couple of blocks away.

Edited by Garufa

As stated more than once in this thread if only one side shows up to protest then that side will show up,yell,chant,look silly and leave. It's no different than watching a bully get rejected when trying to intimidate someone. Soon enough they lose that spirit and go home. I'm hoping clear skies and beautiful weather keeps the opposing team out drunk on the lake or weaving a fall smock for their cat from their own hair. 

39 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Just hope it's not another Charlottesville!!!!! Do they even know for sure what protesters are even coming or is going be free for all for anyone that shows up?

I don't there's anything to worry about.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1