Glock Gen5.

csaxj3

• Administrator

I am trying to find it, and perhaps one of you will beat me to it... but there was a leaked list of SKU numbers last week that showed the various Gen 5 Glock's coming.  One option for each model was to have the Ameriglo steel night sights that were spec'd for the FBI.  The setup is very similar to the one I run on my Glocks.  Tritium front with orange (or red) outline ring and a rear sight with diminished Tritium vials and no outline ring.

I run the Ameriglo orange outlined Pro i-Dot front sight and the Wilson Combat / Vickers Tactical rear sight.  Very fast combination.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

I am trying to find it, and perhaps one of you will beat me to it... but there was a leaked list of SKU numbers last week that showed the various Gen 5 Glock's coming.  One option for each model was to have the Ameriglo steel night sights that were spec'd for the FBI.  The setup is very similar to the one I run on my Glocks.  Tritium front with orange (or red) outline ring and a rear sight with diminished Tritium vials and no outline ring.

I run the Ameriglo orange outlined Pro i-Dot front sight and the Wilson Combat / Vickers Tactical rear sight.  Very fast combination.

That would be great. I have the Ameriglo orange Pro i-Dot on my 17 and Ameriglo orange Operator on my 19, 43 and 20. Love both of those sights by Ameriglo.

• Like 1
Why on God's green earth did they not add front slide serrations? Why? That and some metal sights and I'm good. Metal sights are easy enough but front serrations should be standard by now.
Because they are unnecessary IMO. The manual of arms that Glock teaches revolves around the power stroke method and no press checks. +1 on the metal sights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, csaxj3 said:

Reduced grip radius of the gen4. That alone made it fit better and my return to glock. 

Hmmm. I didn't notice it. And I can't check now. I sold my Gen4 19 and only have a Gen 3 left. I may try and check it out. Might make me want another block...err Glock.

I like it and I'm not a Glock guy.

Mrs GtG has a G3 17 on the nightstand, I don't shoot it, so there you have it.

The lack of finger grooves is a plus, fits all hands.

csaxj3 remarked on the reduced grip radius of the G4, if carried forward, I'm curious to handle one.

The rounding / softening beveling of the leading edges is popular (and not a bad idea) for conceal carried handguns.

I've got a .380 and 3" .357 with similar treatment, seen zillions of 1911s as well, why not a Glock?

The only pistol I have with extra slide serrations is a CZ P01. Never used the forward set in any type of dry or hot training.

I do use them to better manipulate unloading a round from the chamber after removing the mag...rotate pistol anywhere from 90 to 180 degree to a mag up position, grasp forward serrations with thumb and pointer finger. Palm of your hand should be mostly centered under ejection port, rack slide, live round drops into your hand.

Do you think the CZ P10c encouraged Glock to make a few changes? While toted as the G-Lock Killer, that is a completely ridiculous statement - CZ doesn't have the scale and infrastructure to compete on the MIL/LEO/retail market.

They can however put out a great mid size polymer (not me - the internet) at a competitive price point and chip away a percent at a time.

I have to admit that I am baffled over CZ pricing. Is it that much cheaper to manufacture steel, alloy and plastic guns and import from Czechoslovakia than strictly plastic guns from Austria?

I'd wager it's a mix of the P-10 and P320 shenanigans that made them move up their timetable. 

Logical as only a 100 or so shops across the county will have them for Saturday. Then more to follow - limited supply due to pushed release. 

I just got back from the Lifesavers Conference in Murfreesboro today. One of the venders was GT Distributers. The guy said that they are accepting orders for the Gen 5 and they will have them in stock soon. I am anxious to see how the new locking block is different from the one now. From 3 pins to 2 pins like the old Gen 2's , I'm excited.

This is basically a scaled down version of the gun they designed for the military RFP so I don't think they made this in response to the CZ. Losing the contract and deciding they still wanted to make some money off the gun is more likely.

My hands fit the finger grooves fine as well. So, that's a non issue. I have the rounded snout on my 36 and 30s. It's ok, but not a must have. My gun fights don't last long enough to need a mag well, and I'll never shoot competition. So, if I buy one, it will be for ####s and giggles.

• Like 1

I just got this email from Glock:

This is a special time in the history of GLOCK.  On August 30, GLOCK, Inc. will be announcing the launch of our new G17 Gen5 and G19 Gen5 pistols.  Because you are a member of GLOCK ID, we wanted you to hear the news first, from us, before the general public finds out.

The G17 Gen5 and G19 Gen5 pistols were inspired by the GLOCK M pistols used by the FBI and include many features the GLOCK community has been asking for.  There are over 20 design changes which differentiate our Gen5 pistols from their Gen4 predecessors, including a flared mag-well, a new nDLC finish, the GLOCK Marksman Barrel, ambidextrous slide stop levers, and a grip which has no finger grooves.

These pistols will be available at your favorite GLOCK dealer beginning August 30.  We hope you will go in to see them and try them.

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I just got this email from Glock:

a flared mag-well, (FNS) a new nDLC finish, the GLOCK Marksman Barrel, ambidextrous slide stop levers, (FNS) and a grip which has no finger grooves (FNS).

Wonder what else they "borrowed?" ;)

(Just giving ya a hard time :stir: lol)

• Like 1
On 8/23/2017 at 8:21 PM, Erik88 said:

What would they have had to do in order to impress you? They took a platform that everyone else has tried to copy and has worked for 30 years and improved the ergonomics. Customers hated the finish and finger grooves so it appears they finally listened. 

Just a quick revisit here. Glock was a tremendous innovation in 1986. But they became followers years ago when everyone surpassed them as Gaston sat on his laurels. Everyone had a single stack 9 long before they did, everyone had a small .380 available before they did, they never listened to the customers.