Dove Season Opens in One Week!

Is everyone ready for Dove season? I'll ask for opinions here... and non of us are in short supply with them...what do you think is the best gun for Dove hunting and why. Will you be using a 12, 16, or 20 gauge...side by side double, over under, pump or semi-auto? Will you suit up in camo or just wear regular clothes? How about decoys, pin on the fence wire ot limbs, or the ones that the wind makes their wings spin (sometimes) or the battery powered models? What shot sizes...7 1/2, 8, or #9 bird shot? Are you using a dog for retrieval or just trying to find them in that cut corn yourself (good luck)? Where will you be hunting...private land, friends place or TWRA Dove fields? What are the best TWRA fields in Middle Tennessee? Are you planning on being out there at noon on Friday September the 1st? Finally, how do you like your dove breast prepared to eat? Good luck, be safe, and good hunting.

it's been years, but when I went I used a 12 gauge pump, Remington 1200 (2 3/4"), with 7 1/2 shot. only because I only own 12s.  I have a Rem 870 but have yet to go Dove hunting with it because I have had a lousy time trying to find a good dove field.  I use the clothespin decoys and depending on the field I clip them on whatever is better for a field of fire.  No dog so have to retrieve myself, and with how rusty I am I probably won't be doing much of that :biglol:

Last time I went Dove hunting I drove back up north and went hunting with my old hunting buddy as he has private fields and he grew mullet and other seedy crops in a 25 acre track to shoot in between his corn fields. He also had a few small plots of gravel that were there for doves and has two spring fed ponds about a 1/2 mile away. He use to set everything up for great Dove shooting. That was back in 1995 before Illinois we nuts on guns and made it almost impossible to buy an out of state hunting license. I used my Winchester model 12 pump gun. First day I had full choke but was having an issue blowing birds up. I had to begin making longer shots to get any birds to the ground. When we got back to Daves house I borrowed a 30 inch Modified Choke barrel and swapped it and the following day was much better. Actually got birds on the ground and not just a bunch of feathers.  Was shooting # 8 shot that Dave had reloaded. He had like 3000 rounds loaded for him and his 2 sons and me. My shoulders have kept me from doing any shotgun shooting anymore but I sure do miss it. He also reloads for him and his 2 boys to shoot trap at a local club is why he had so many rounds ready for us.

I shoot a Yildiz 20 Gauge Over-and-Under Shotgun, the same one I shoot skeet with. I usually have to hunt the TWRA fields since I don't know anyone that owns any dove fields and I try to go with someone that likes to eat them or give them away. I'm not to crazy about dove. 

7 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I will be out there missing them like I do every year. :doh:

When you think your leading them far enough , lead them a little farther..........lol.  Their flight speed can be deceiving for sure. You can see a definite difference in their flight speed on the second day of season. People don't believe that but if you pay attention between day one and day two you will see it. It's like they put it in after burner when they approach a field were they were shot at a few days earlier. If you pay attention you will see that they come in with the wind and not against it on day two and most days after that. I know most folks think I am nuts but I learned to watch them when I began missing more birds then normal..............JMHO

I think I have opening day and Saturday lined up, but don't know from there. 

I usually shoot a Rem 1100 20g, but will have either a 12g 870 or SBEII in the truck.  I usually pick my choke based on conditions, IC or Skeet if hunting a tree line, or Modified if in the middle of the field.  I generally shoot #8.  

We are hunting private property.  I have hunted TWRA fields and public hunts in the past, and had some good shoots and some really bad shoots.  

We don't use decoys.  Usually either the birds are flying or they aren't, and I haven't seen them make any difference.  I have been on hunts where someone had a couple of the "whirly birds" on there end, and they didn't seem to have any more action than we did.  Some people swear by them though.  

As far as cooking, I like to tinker around with different marinades, just a little lemon juice, water, and salt works pretty well.  Let them soak for a few hours, wrap them in bacon, and pop 'em on the smoker or grill.  

I like using a 20 gauge SxS, with at least a 28" barrel choked modified/full.   7.5 shot is normally my go to shot size.  I find that most people don't lead the birds enough and don't use a tight enough choke.  One other bit of information. If you have access to a small pond that has a border that isn't overgrown (sandy/dirt border) you might find some good shooting late in the day as they come in for water before going to roost.  I have had some past success shooting solo beside a good water source.  The birds like to be able to land on open ground and walk up to the water, so it needs to have some bare ground on the water edge. 

• Like 1

Every since I was a kid, when I was dove hunting, I would pretend I was at Pearl Harbor shootin' down Japanese Zeros. I use a Remington 870 (40mm Bofors) or a CZ 20 gauge (20mm Oerlikon).

Edited by Will Carry
36 minutes ago, rbishop said:

I like using a 20 gauge SxS, with at least a 28" barrel choked modified/full.   7.5 shot is normally my go to shot size.  I find that most people don't lead the birds enough and don't use a tight enough choke.  One other bit of information. If you have access to a small pond that has a border that isn't overgrown (sandy/dirt border) you might find some good shooting late in the day as they come in for water before going to roost.  I have had some past success shooting solo beside a good water source.  The birds like to be able to land on open ground and walk up to the water, so it needs to have some bare ground on the water edge. 

Water and gravel are both good to shoot over later in the evening. They need to pick up small pieces of gravel in their craws before going to water to help grind up any grain they eat and store in their craws. if you can find a pond that has gravel around it your shooting should be even better...........JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

How many braved the elements (rain) and made it into the dove fields on opening day? How did the rainy weather affect the availability of flying birds? How about some opening day reports and some photos. Didn't seem to be as many TWRA dove fields published this year.