Hunting with Suppressors

This will be my first year hunting suppressed.  In my early days of hunting, I never wore ear pro, at least when deer hunting.  One day in high school, I woke up and noticed both of my ears ringing like crazy and they've never stopped since.  I was never one to try and damage my hearing.  I really hated loud noises (except deer hunting).  So, I don't know why they all of a sudden started ringing, but since then, I've been super paranoid about protecting my ears.  I was the goober all through high school and college who wore ear plugs to dances, concerts and SEC football games....well I went to Mississippi State and the Cowbells can leave a lasting impression lol.  I have this awesome velcro wallet with a pouch on it thats just for carrying my ear plugs just in case I find myself in a painful location....i'm super cool as you've already noticed.  

Anyways, since my ears took a dump, my love for hunting has only grown.  I'm blessed with access to quality land and I take full advantage of it.  I've never fired a shot without ear pro since high school and never intend to either.  Honestly, if there was a Boone and Crockett buck in front of me, and I couldn't manage to get some ear muffs on, I would pass.  It wouldn't be worth the lifelong hearing damage.  When deer hunting, I don't wear any ear pro until I'm about to shoot.  That way I can still use whats left of my acuity to pinpoint where sounds are coming from.  There have been several times the deer ended up on top of me to where I couldn't put my ear muffs on without running them off.  

While turkey hunting, I wear Pro Ears electronic muffs.  Some of the best money can buy and while they are great, audio acuity (judging distance and direction of sounds) is still not as good as my bare ears.  

So, i've acquired a few gun mufflers over the last year and am looking forward to seeing how this changes my hunting.  I'm also interested in seeing how animals react differently to the sound of a suppressed rifle...which is harder to locate, than that of an unsupressed rifle.  I mean, they are going to hear it....its still loud...but just curious if maybe they would be less spooked?  Maybe after you've shot, you've noticed new deer enter the field afterwords because they were hanging out a little further and just not spooked?

I still plan on throwing on some muffs even though its technically "hearing safe".  I'm not sure the governments number of 140db's is law for everyones ears but I did shoot my 308 suppressed 3 times without ear pro, and its still pretty loud....but it didn't ring my ears at all.  So, if that Boone and Crocket shows up....he's going down ear pro or not!  

I'm curious, anyone care to chime in on their suppressed hunting experiences?  Anyone going to be shooting suppressed this year for the first time?  Anyone run out yet to get you a velcro wallet? 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I've found that suppressors often will drive animals towards you after the first shot.  That is, at least with supersonic bullets - they hear the crack of the bullet and associate it with coming from the noise.  That'll get your attention with hogs...

• Like 2

Interesting.  Fortunately we don't have hogs in my area!  Funny thing is i've never noticed a supersonic crack until I shot suppressed.  The explosion from he end of the barrel unsuppressed is always so much louder. 

I would really like to. I have the can, but my 300bo AR pistol is not really my ideal hunting weapon. I would like to get a 300bo bolt rifle, and then I would have a better setup. I also intend to thread one of my '06, but I would benefit more with the 300bo. I have a Rugged Surge 762 can.

I don't have the velcro wallet, but I do have a few pairs of foam ear plugs pretty close at all times. I work in a hearing sensitive environment, so plugs are a normal part of my world. I don't usually wear them deer hunting, but I do in a duck blind for sure.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

Yessir. I still have to get my Rem 700 barrel threaded but I am gonna give my .300 blk a try as well. 

Well you best get on that brother!  Season is fast approaching!  

I have an Omega and a sandman L.

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

What caliber are you going to hunt with supressed?

Right now it will be 308.  I have a 300blk bolt action, and i'm sure i'll try that out as well with supersonic ammo.   I grew up shooting a 270, but for some reason, I just have too much sentimental  value with my 270 and don't want to thread it.  I

I also have a 30-06 threaded in M13 x 0.75 but silencerco and dead air don't have mounts for it at this time.  Silencerco is working on it currently though.  So in the future, I will also suppress a 30-06.  

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Slappy said:

Interesting.  Fortunately we don't have hogs in my area!  Funny thing is i've never noticed a supersonic crack until I shot suppressed.  The explosion from he end of the barrel unsuppressed is always so much louder. 

From what I have been told, the suppressor gives the illusion that the sound is coming from a different direction.  Don't know how true that is.

And as far as pigs on this side of TN, according to TWRA they can be hunted at Big Hill Pond and Shelby Forest.  I have never seen any at either location, but my dad claims he saw some in the dove fields out at Shelby Forest.  He's also had a Ranger tell him to shoot any that he sees.

I've been hunting with a suppressed .308 for several years. It makes the entire experience much more pleasurable. I find ear pro uncomfortable if I wear it continuously over several hours. So, as often as not it's hanging around my neck when a deer walks out of the bush. The suppressor means that's not an issue. There is still a super sonic crack... but it's well away from me and doesn't hurt my ears.

The deer certainly know the direction the shot came from due to the round breaking the sound barrier but they are looking in my general direction instead of right at my stand. It has allowed me, on the rare occasion, to take a second deer out of a group.

I tried hunting w/ the subsonic .300 b.o. and while I was blown away by how quiet it was, I really don't think it's suitable as a hunting round (at least for me). I took a deer at 120 yds with it... so it works... but I had to compensate for something like a 14" drop. Additionally, when we butchered the deer we found that the round failed to expand and tumbled pretty severely. It was a heart shot, so it didn't matter but for me to trust a round, I need consistent penetration and expansion. Sooooo... in my mind subsonic .300 bo is ideal for CQB but not so great for hunts where you might need to reach out a bit.

Regardless, I'm a big advocate for hunting suppressed. 

• Like 4

Great info Chris.  I also agree on the ethicacy preferring supersonic 300blk over subsonic.  I had heard, as Shorty mentioned, its harder to locate the source due to the suppressed sound signature.  Thats pretty cool to see that there is some truth behind it.  What suppressor are you running? 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Very nice.  At some point, I think i'm interested in getting a 'hunting specific' can.  Something like the SiCo Harvester, Gemtech Tracker or Sandman TI.  Do you feel like your suppressed hunting experience would be enhanced if you had a lighter can?  Just curious if you notice the weight much or if I am overthinking the benefits of a lighter can.  The can I have right now is the Dead Air Sandman L which is 21.8oz.  I have SiCo Omega in my trust as well but someone else will be using that one.  It says its 14oz, but I doubt that includes the mount and break.  

I'm not climbing any mountains so a few extra ounces don't matter to me. That being said, my can does make the rifle very muzzle heavy. It's not bad, but a lighter can would obviously help.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chris said:

I'm not climbing any mountains so a few extra ounces don't matter to me. That being said, my can does make the rifle very muzzle heavy. It's not bad, but a lighter can would obviously help.

Cool.  Makes sense.  I'll keep something lightweight on my list for an eventual purchase, but i'll use what I got for now.