DIY Camera arm

I made my first attempt at making my own camera arm so I could try to film my hunts. I have very little invested since everything except the hardware was scrap aluminum that I had laying around. Ordered a GoMuddy friction head to mount the camera on. I have a mount for the GoPro as well but it will be on my smaller camera arm that will be behind me for video of the shooting. It was a pretty fun project. I used nylon washers and spacers with locknuts providing the torque to tighten as needed for smooth movement. 

Any of y'all make your own? Good ones are not cheap so figured I'd try it. Now I'm gonna make a couple more and try to come up with a simple design for the frame that attaches to the tree. That was I can make a few and leave them on different trees and just carry the arm with me. 

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Slappy said:

Good job Ruger.  I can't wait to see your hunts! 

Thanks Slappy! I hope I can get some good footage. I'm new to this and am sure it have a lot to learn with editing and such. Probably have to hire my 13 year old to show me how to do it. Wonder how much she'll charge per hour to be my editing consultant :biglol:

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

That's pretty good! Will you put the GoPro on it or another type camera?  I wish my hunts were exciting enough to film. The deer have been mocking me the last few seasons :(

Oh I don't have hunts that people are gonna share on Facebook pages or YouTube, but they're fun and I will show y'all even if it's something for y'all to laugh at. I am running a Handy Cam on this one primarily and GoPro on shorter screw in arm for background view. It may switch up, but have to try it before I know what will work. 

• Like 1

For the bracket to stay on the tree, you could simply go with a section of tube at front an back with all-thread running through holes on each side to allow you to tighten it down. I did that with a site camera on a pole. Advantages would be that it is dirt cheap, weatherproof, could be positioned in any direction, and you could loosen it some as the tree grew if it was to be there long term. Also slightly bending the tube into an arch would help fit the tree better.

Really basic image of the idea:

59a02d1328615_treemount.jpg.c474a4949d13e9612661265a71ae4215.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Thanks Slappy! I hope I can get some good footage. I'm new to this and am sure it have a lot to learn with editing and such. Probably have to hire my 13 year old to show me how to do it. Wonder how much she'll charge per hour to be my editing consultant :biglol:

Man I hear ya! I've often thought about filming some hunts but the editing part is probably what keeps me from doing it.  I've got a buddy or two that could show me what to do.  I'm sure, as with anything, the software makes all the difference and its probably not cheap either.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Man I hear ya! I've often thought about filming some hunts but the editing part is probably what keeps me from doing it.  I've got a buddy or two that could show me what to do.  I'm sure, as with anything, the software makes all the difference and its probably not cheap either.  

Microsoft Movie Maker is still free I think. It is not Pro level, but you can crop, combine, and set music/vocal overlay to common video formatted files. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Nice job. I want to do something like this but I have to buy a go pro first.

Thanks, im using a small camcorder with flip out screen on this arm. It's "old school" compared to what a lot of people use now but will be fine for me as I learn. 

6 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Microsoft Movie Maker is still free I think. It is not Pro level, but you can crop, combine, and set music/vocal overlay to common video formatted files. 

I will give that a try. I haven't got that far but will need something to start on, thanks. 

I took the camera arm to the woods with me Saturday to try it out. You know, always check your equipment?  This was my opinion so it's worth what I'm charging you. It seemed like it was a little short, well for archery anyway. I believe if you were sitting in a stand with a rifle it would have been perfect. I'm totally new to this so I may change my mind and decide it was fine. But, I came home tonight and cut another 10 1/2 inch section of aluminum tubing and added it to the end. Also I ordered a Muddy friction head and it arrived today. It's very nice for the money! Went to mount it and forgot that I'd put a 1/4 20 bolt in the end piece for the GoPro. Not a big deal at all, just another trip to Lowes and I'll be good to go. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. 

If im satisfied with the final results I imagine I will make another one. With one made already, I can fix or replace ideas by reviewing the first one. 

• Like 3

Sorry it's been a while. I've been in the woods and doing yard work more than I have been asleep. Last thing I was doing when I posted was adding another piece for more length. I ended up taking them off and cutting two longer ones. I also added spacers to allow clearance so it folds up completely. Before it kind of closed against the bar below it.  I didn't like the way it moved with four pieces connected together. Much smoother now with this setup. I put the bolt and spacers on the end piece with nylon spacer to allow the Muddy friction mount to be attached. It works very nice and smooth. If the fluid mount is as much nicer as they say, then it must be worth the money they ask for them. 

I started another arm this evening with sections 3 inches longer than the one I just finished. I don't have another "bracket" like I used on the first one. Basically I have writers block for ideas. Came up with several ideas and all would work but I wasn't happy with any of them. Maybe I'm just tired? 

Jake and Riley say hi. Roman was stuck to my side with less than an inch between my leg and his back so he didn't make it in the pictures but he says hi too. 

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Well I used my camera arms last year and will still use them. But I bought a new piece of equipment for this season and man am I in love. I picked up the Muddy Outfitters camera arm. It’s smooth, locks up solid, and is very well made. Hope to get some good footage this year. If you’re in the market give them a shot. 

https://shop.gomuddy.com/outfitter-camera-arm/